Thread: DROID X update to 4.5.621 (Android 2.3.6)

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score

DROID X update to 4.5.621 (Android 2.3.6)

Looks like the Droid X is having a "soak test" before what will probably be its last firmware update to 4.5.621.
    It will be Android 2.3.6 and resolves some bugs.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Motor...k-test_id26996

http://support.verizonwireless.com/p...te/droid_x.pdf
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm impressed they're fixing this many bugs 1.5 years after it was released. At the same time though, it's a little scary there are still this many bugs 1.5 years after its release....

I did love my Droid X though. It could take a beating!

Feedback Score
    Does any one know when the soak test starts and how long after it will regular folks get this update.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bharath23 View Post
    Does any one know when the soak test starts and how long after it will regular folks get this update.
    Today! From what I've seen recently, the update goes out to everyone else within a week after the soak test, unless they find some glaring issue in the test round.

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This build has been unable to be rooted by all current and even unreleased methods thus far.

Anyone who needs or wants to maintain root should not update to this build until a new exploit is developed.

This may take some time, as djrbliss has said they appear to have blocked all known vectors and he has to re audit the entire platform to look for another vector. This is not easy to do.

Be forewarned!
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kbman View Post
    This build has been unable to be rooted by all current and even unreleased methods thus far.

Anyone who needs or wants to maintain root should not update to this build until a new exploit is developed.

This may take some time, as djrbliss has said they appear to have blocked all known vectors and he has to re audit the entire platform to look for another vector. This is not easy to do.

Be forewarned!
    I used OTA Root Keeper first, which made a backup of the root on the phone, then did the .621 update.
    After it was installed, went back to Root Keeper and had it restore the root.
    Checked it with SU, Root Explorer, and Titanium Backup. All worked.

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, rootkeeper will work, wasn't certain about that, but there is no exploit to gain root outright and you cannot flash back to a previous version with any SBF file we have now, so the warning still needs to be made until there is a new exploit and an SBF file to restore with.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm surprised the update keeps the 7 home screens on the Droid X, as all of the newer Motorola phones for Verizon only have 5 home screens. Even ICS on the Nexus has 5. At least there's Go Launcher.

Device(s)
    V710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Got the update today. Have to admit, it'd be nice if the part about fixing the phone turning on unexpectedly is indeed fixed. I've had a lot of problems with the phone turning itself back on after I turn it off.

Oddly, the About page in the settings still says 2.3.4 for the Android version.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
    Got the update today. Have to admit, it'd be nice if the part about fixing the phone turning on unexpectedly is indeed fixed. I've had a lot of problems with the phone turning itself back on after I turn it off.

Oddly, the About page in the settings still says 2.3.4 for the Android version.
    I had that happen too, but seems fixed in this update.

Device(s)
    Razr Maxx HD
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    Looks like the Droid X is having a "soak test" before what will probably be its last firmware update to 4.5.621.
    It will be Android 2.3.6 and resolves some bugs.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Motor...k-test_id26996

http://support.verizonwireless.com/p...te/droid_x.pdf
    Did the update to 4.5.621 but I'm still showing Android 2.3.4 ?

Anyone else showing the Android Version still at 2.3.4 after the update?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Mine was at 2.3.4 after the update. I'm thinking the 2.3.6 was incorrectly posted.

Device(s)
    Razr Maxx HD
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tjmonkey15 View Post
    Mine was at 2.3.4 after the update. I'm thinking the 2.3.6 was incorrectly posted.
    I was thinking that too, just weird that so many different places said that the update was supposed to include 2.3.6. Maybe it was just the security patch from 2.3.6 ?

Phone does seem to be more stable after the update though.

Feedback Score
    How do you force an update. My Droid X says I'm running Android 2.2. When I try to update, it always just says update not available now, try back later.