Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon will not port number!

Feedback Score

Angry Verizon will not port number!

For the past 5 years I have used Verizon as my cell carrier and my bill has done nothing but go up. Just to try it out, I bought a Straight Talk (ST) phone from Wal Mart and I really like it. I emailed ST before my purchase and they assured me I could change or port my Verizon number with no problem. My contract with Verizon is not out so I have not tried to change it yet.

On the flip side I have a good friend that recently attempted to port his number from Verizon to ST and was told by ST that Verizon would not release the number. He called Verizon and they would not give him a reason. He is 1 year out of contract, has not moved and has no outstanding balance. He says he has talked to others that could not port their numbers from Verizon.

The only variable that we could figure out is he has 3 numbers on this account and maybe they all have to go at once.

We live in a somewhat rural area so there is not a lot of competition for cell carriers. I wonder if Verizon just figures that people out here don't have enough sense to know that there's a law requiring them to let the numbers go!

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Verizon has to let you port out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_number_portability

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/wire...rtability-wlnp

Call Verizon again, ask for a manager or someone higher up and get them to tell you the reason why you can port out, and just say you'll go to the FCC if they don't.

Feedback Score
    Thanks , we will try that.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Forget the FCC - if they won't port out, have him (you aren't having the problem, and may never have) keep asking for a higher supervisor until he gets one a "4th liner". Unless he has some issues with Verizon that haven't been settled, the person will clear the account and order the port. (And the people doing the port have no choice - when someone at that level tells you to do something you ask for it in writing and then do it, or you try to convince unemployment to pay you even though you were fired for insubordination.)

When you're dealing with customer service, you're dealing with people making barely above minimum, who like to prove how powerful they are. When you're dealing with an executive, they want to solve the problem and get on to something important. And if you don't owe any money other than the current bill, the fastest way for them is to port your number. They have nothing to prove.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It could be that Straight Talk has no coverage in the area served by Verizon.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    W2PMX

Thanks for the advice. The (maybe i have a problem or not) was not necessary. Some of us have friends and have no time to make up problems.

That being said best to you and thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmeierst View Post
    W2PMX

Thanks for the advice. The (maybe i have a problem or not) was not necessary. Some of us have friends and have no time to make up problems.

That being said best to you and thanks again.
    I don't think he was being snarky. I think he was genuinely saying that you may not experience the same problem with your port.

Sent from my DROIDX using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
    I don't think he was being snarky. I think he was genuinely saying that you may not experience the same problem with your port.

Sent from my DROIDX using HowardForums
    OK I'll be cool.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Verizon ported my number without problem...

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmeierst View Post
    W2PMX

What that meant was that everyone is telling you to call, but your friend has to call - he's the one with the problem, not you. You're just posting here to find out what to tell him, as I understood your original post.

(Nothing about being cool. Either I misunderstood you or you misunderstood me. It happens all the time here. I'm cool if you thought I meant something I didn't mean.)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the info. I will post results sometimes after March 1. That's Verion's D-Day or otherwise end of contract.

I passed info to my Buddy but have not talked to him this week.

Feedback Score
    does it make any difference if you port to a GSM phone or a smart phone as it pertains to porting a number?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The phone is irrelevant. You are "porting" to the carrier and not the phone. The number will be programmed into a SIM if you use a GSM phone (any type) and directly into the handset in the case of CDMA phones.

Feedback Score

more about verizon

so i want to get a droid phone droid incredible or possibly droid 2 phone not exactly sure yet say its a gsm phone can i get an atnt sim and make it work this is the only thing i been confused about i thought i had to have an unlocked phone or an atnt specific phone i dont want any trouble i just want a good phone.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    That is a separate issue from "porting." The phone you buy determines whether you want GSM or CDMA service. If you want CDMA service, you must choose from the phones sold by Straight Talk. Most work on the Verizon network except for two which work on the Sprint network. If you want GSM service, yoû can either choose the phones sold by Straight Talk or bring your own device. Your own device must work on either T-Mobile or AT&T. The phone can be either locked to the carrier you chose or unlocked. You might not get the choices of both carriers at every location. When you enter your Zip Code to order the SIM card, you are only offered the option to choose the carriers available at that location. You should check before you purchase your phone or if you want to use a phone you already have.

By the way, the models you are considering are CDMA models and cannot be activated on Straight Talk.

Sent from my GtabComb using HowardForums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast