Thread: I'm Totally Confused. Verizon Phones / plans.

Feedback Score

I'm Totally Confused. Verizon Phones / plans.

I've been Googling for days trying to decide which phone for my "new every two" upgrade.
    Currently I have a two basic phones on the 700 Nationwide Family plan. Two phones on the plan and my bill is around $100/month. Contracts are expired on both phones.

I get a corporate partner discount on the primary phone of 22 percent.

I MISSED the Unlimited Data grandfathering in but have been a Verizon customer for many years and actually have a corporate provided 4G (ML410) Hotspot with UNLIMITED DATA but it DOESN'T appear on MY account although the email bill comes to me.

Wonder if I could use that as a bargaining chip to get unlimited data?
    Any thoughts?

Sooooo.... It's time for a smart phone.
    I get an additional $100 discount on top of the "New Every Two".

I'm between an iPhone4s 16GB at $99.00 and the Razr Maxx at $199.00

The Razr is 4G and they have the double the data plan going on now so that's a consideration.
    What I don't like about the Razr is ICS doesn't look like an upgrade till 3rd quarter, or maybe never.
    That scares me because I don't want to be left with an orphan.

I like the look and feel of the iPhone and the fact that it works well.
    10 million flies can't be wrong

My needs are basic business, a little surfing, offline games and playing around.
    Not that interested in video or music as I have an iPod hooked to the car system for that.

I need solid voice quality and a good speakerphone as well as support for aftermarket stuff like cases etc.

I played with the Galaxy Nexus and it seemed cheap to me.

Any ideas for a person like me?

Maybe move to Sprint where I get a 25 percent discount and can still get unlimited data?
    BTW 4G is scarce where I live.

Sorry for the long post but I seriously can't make up my mind

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo42 View Post
    Two phones on the plan and my bill is around $100/month. Contracts are expired on both phones.

I get a corporate partner discount on the primary phone of 22 percent.
    Mine is $130, two dumb, one smart, 1400 min, unlimited, 17%.

I MISSED the Unlimited Data grandfathering in but have been a Verizon customer for many years and actually have a corporate provided 4G (ML410) Hotspot with UNLIMITED DATA but it DOESN'T appear on MY account although the email bill comes to me.

Wonder if I could use that as a bargaining chip to get unlimited data?
    Any thoughts?
    Nope, but 1) is the mifi portable? 2) double data promo now on 4g phones. 3) check loophole thread for getting unlimited data. 4) you dont specify your usage

Sooooo.... It's time for a smart phone.
    I get an additional $100 discount on top of the "New Every Two".

I'm between an iPhone4s 16GB at $99.00 and the Razr Maxx at $199.00

The Razr is 4G and they have the double the data plan going on now so that's a consideration.
    What I don't like about the Razr is ICS doesn't look like an upgrade till 3rd quarter, or maybe never.
    That scares me because I don't want to be left with an orphan.

I like the look and feel of the iPhone and the fact that it works well.
    10 million flies can't be wrong

My needs are basic business, a little surfing, offline games and playing around.
    Not that interested in video or music as I have an iPod hooked to the car system for that.

I need solid voice quality and a good speakerphone as well as support for aftermarket stuff like cases etc.

I played with the Galaxy Nexus and it seemed cheap to me.

Any ideas for a person like me?
    Make sure about the $100 and see what your total discount is. Just try 'em and get what you like. I'm sticking with Motorola because of build quality, reception, voice quality, etc. I was a little bummed at first over the upgrade schedule but I'm not worried about it anymore because 1) all the phones are high end--you will not run short of anything 2) All the big developments to me happened a long time ago. 3) Even today, 99.999.... % of the apps run on 2.1 which is over two years old, a recent exception is Chrome browser, only for 4.0. (and I do like that) 4) When I read various forums of people *****ing about updates, I don't want to share their company. So if you have a checklist of essentials, just go by that. For me, one was bluetooth voice dialing which didnt come until 2.2. My essentials has gotten shorter with time. I think the Maxx is impressive. You have 14 day return--I have never returned a phone so I say know what you need, check 'em out, then get it. The return is an insurance policy.

Maybe move to Sprint where I get a 25 percent discount and can still get unlimited data?
    BTW 4G is scarce where I live.
    First check the coverage; I wouldn't move for 3% and they throttle. Let us know.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The Rezound has been reported as having the fewest connection problems re weak 4g transition to 3g. I keep mine off unless I want it on because it is a battery hog.

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Re music in car, Motorola and others make a bluetooth FM transmitter. Or you can use an auxiliary jack and stream pandora or your sd music. Unlimited helps for that.

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hope a mod can move your thread to Verizon where you will get more feedback.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'm probably gonna go with the iPhone because I'm concerned about the Razr Maxx ever getting ICS. Someone asked about my current usage, I don't have a data plan except for the corporate MiFI which is unlimited so I really don't know. I'm not big on downloading stuff and there are a lot of WiFI near me (OOL for one) but I am nervous about going over the limit. The one thing keeping the Razr Maxx in the running is that I am more of a traditional phone user and the Razr seems less "gadget like" and supposedly has excellent audio quality etc. Also it appears indestructible compared to the iPhone.

I'm going to stick with Verizon though because Sprint doesn't seem as good for Long Island from what I am reading, at least for Data.

Maybe I'll buy the Razr Maxx, get the double the data for the same price deal and if I hate it, go with the iPhone when the 4G models come out. This way I should be locked into a better data plan for the money?

As you can see I'm still confused