Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What can 10MB data do?

Feedback Score

What can 10MB data do?

I am thinking about switch to the $12plan. I rarely use more than 100min/mo or 100 sms/mo, so that part is sufficient for me. However, I do use data, check emails, google voice, shopping, help GPS to start from time to time, mostly during the weekend since wifi is available for me most of time during the weekdays.

Just want to check with you guys, will the 10MB be sufficient for the GPS part alone? (I know I don't have to use data, but I just can't stand the waiting :-)) Assuming that I am using GPS 8-10 times per month.

TIA

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I have no idea how much data you use based on your description. You haven't even said what phone you're using. I would doubt that 10MB/mo is enough to do what you describe, but I really don't know.

What service do you have now? How much data have you historically used?

The 10MB of data included with The 12 is primarily intended for a limited amount of MMS/mo, although it can be used however you want. How many MMS you can send or receive with 10MB depends on the size of each MMS. On The 12, if you run out of data, you can add a Standard Plan PIN, and additional data will be deducted at $0.20/MB.
    My PagePlus Phone History---12 Years & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I have no idea how much data you use based on your description. You haven't even said what phone you're using. I would doubt that 10MB/mo is enough to do what you describe, but I really don't know.

What service do you have now? How much data have you historically used?

The 10MB of data included with The 12 is primarily intended for a limited amount of MMS/mo, although it can be used however you want. How many MMS you can send or receive with 10MB depends on the size of each MMS. On The 12, if you run out of data, you can add a Standard Plan PIN, and additional data will be deducted at $0.20/MB.
    I am on unlimited data plan currently (VM) so I have no idea how much I am using :-) But VM does not refresh their phone lineups so I have to switch, now I just got a droid x2, thinking about moving to pp.

Phones
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Nokia Lumia 520
    Samsung Galaxy Note i717
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    10MB is not much. Make sure your not auto updating anything. I only used 1.2MB for three weeks. First time I turn on 3G to see if I got any emails(received none) at a poker game. Three programs updated leaving me with 2MB. Download a program called "Osmand", it is a navigation program that does not use data.

Feedback Score
    10 MB isn't much in a month, but if you only use your phone for emergency data only, you might be able to come close. You can pre-cache up to 10 areas in Google maps now, so that will help with the navigation.
    What are the data overage charges on the $12 plan? I know on the TNT 1200, I only pay 10 cents/meg, so if I blow past my 100MB limit by 10 or 20 megs I don't really care.

Feedback Score
    I am currently on "the 12" plan.. I thought the MMS data does not eat up 10 MB..

Well, anyways..

As for GPS, I have north america map on my phone, so all GPS software will use is initial detemination of coordinates, which uses tens of kB.. not MB..

If you are using google map, one search/download of maps uses up about 1 MB.. just to give you an idea..

I am on my first week.. I have used about 200 kB...

Hope this helps..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_curious View Post
    As for GPS, I have north america map on my phone, so all GPS software will use is initial detemination of coordinates, which uses tens of kB.. not MB..

This is incorrect. I don't know what software you have (I have Copilot Live USA that works with all data turned off) but no data at all needs to be used to determine your coordinates (initial or while moving) using built-in GPS. To prove that turn off you data (3G and WiFi) and download one of free GPS test apps from the market (I use https://market.android.com/details?i...HNzdGF0dXMyIl0.) It will determine your coordinates just fine assuming you can see GPS satellites.

Phones
    iPhone 5, Iridium 9555
    iPhone 5S 64GB Gold Verizon
    Iridium 9555
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Iridium
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had the 12 plan on my iPhone 4S just to see. The 10MB lasted 2 days. From there I converted to the 55 plan with the 1GB promo. In the past I have gotten by with 100MB.

If you can program the phone to use data on an as-needed-basis then 10MB can go a long way. With push and pull email it doesn't go very far.

Phones
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Magnavox Droid Bionic Flashed for 3G
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    For somebody that is used to unlimited data to go to The 12 would be a real shock. I worked out a way to make my email use almost nothing, but this method is for somebody used to paying dearly for data, like $1 a MB who was going to the 12 and didn't want to go over the limit.

Phones
    HTC Droid Incredible
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
    This is incorrect. I don't know what software you have (I have Copilot Live USA that works with all data turned off) but no data at all needs to be used to determine your coordinates (initial or while moving) using built-in GPS. To prove that turn off you data (3G and WiFi) and download one of free GPS test apps from the market (I use https://market.android.com/details?i...HNzdGF0dXMyIl0.) It will determine your coordinates just fine assuming you can see GPS satellites.
    I use Igo8 and it uses zero data and GPS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
    Copilot is a low cost. but effective GPS software that does not need any data connection (I have it on my Droid2). I also have NavFree and Zanavi, which are free, and will use some data to get the coordinates of your DESTINATION, not your current location... anyway, once you have the coordinates and maps, GPS software use minimal amount of data..

Feedback Score
    Well the point to use data for gps is simply for quicker locating your current coordinates, thus faster gps start. I do have igo and no data is needed, but faster is always better

Sent from my DROID X2 using HowardForums

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ddyourself View Post
    Well the point to use data for gps is simply for quicker locating your current coordinates, thus faster gps start. I do have igo and no data is needed, but faster is always better

Sent from my DROID X2 using HowardForums
    I'm unfamiliar with this, but I use an Incredible, and the GPS fix is within 10-20 seconds of turning GPS on, with data OFF.

Carriers
    StraightTalk
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    The 10 MB offering just doesn't make much sense to me as the responses here confirm.

You might consider Walmart's $30 t-mobile prepaid offering given your usage. Its light on talk minutes (100) but offers unlimited data and text with 4G speeds for up to 5GB. Really a good deal if your t-mobile service is adequate and you don't need over 100 mins of talk.

Phones
    HTC Droid Incredible
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sjv View Post
    The 10 MB offering just doesn't make much sense to me as the responses here confirm.

You might consider Walmart's $30 t-mobile prepaid offering given your usage. Its light on talk minutes (100) but offers unlimited data and text with 4G speeds for up to 5GB. Really a good deal if your t-mobile service is adequate and you don't need over 100 mins of talk.
    Try and find someone that already uses T-Mobile in your neighborhood before you go that route. Around here, it's pretty well useless and if you can't get a signal, there is no value.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast