Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: New StraightTalk Sim card what is next?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    335
    Phone
    Nokai Lumia 920
    Carrier
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0

    New StraightTalk Sim card what is next?

    So my order for an AT&T Compatiable simm card is progressing and I am expecting delivery on Thursday (2/23).
    Now I been reading this forum and trying to catch up on some of the topics. Time and Time again someone will recommend when you activate your Simm card to just get a new number to try out the service first. Then in a week or so Port your other carrier's number over if you wish to. If you port your number from the start something always seems to go wrong and that way your in limbo for longer than it would be if you port after the fact.
    Now my question is when is the best time to port over as it pertains to my billing cycle on AT&T? Billing cycle starts the 13th of the Month for me. How long to ports normally take when they go well?

    Now I plan to intially use my Nokia 5800 (which works "3.5G" on AT&T). I been looking for a decent "smarterphone" to use and I like it to be minimum 4 in screen but may settle for as small as 3.7in screen if I have too. I really prefer to stay away from a used phone. My Budget for a new phone is $275 (at the present time) with also having an additiona gift card of $100 from my credit card in the coming couple of months. So in a sense I could go to $375 with the gift card included.
    I had a chance to experience a windows phone earlier this year with the HTC Titan (which has issues with voice quality and the random power cycling so I returned it, (ALL three of the Titans that I tried) and as for the OS I loved it. Nice size screen for me I could watch Netfix over wifi, loved how email handled and integration of facebook and Linkin. and other things about it that I like as an OS. But purchasing a Windows Phone I see it out of reach for me except maybe for the Dell version but I read that the video hardware used is not a modern hardware its like hardware from like 2 years ago so maybe that is why its only $299 for a 4.1 in screen. Moving on to Android not in any particular order from read about some of the phones I like the following
    Atrix 4G and II, LG Thrill 4G, Samsung Infuse (so so), and the one that is coming out LG Optimus 2X but I would need to transfer my Simm to a Tmobile compatiable Simm to work in the LG Optimus 2X.
    Some of these phones will be on the outer limit of my budget but if of these there is is one that is exceptional then I will have to swing it in cost.
    From what I seen of all the phones mentioned the Thrill interests me the most since I going to have the AT&T compatiable StraightTalk Simm card next would be the Optimus 2x which I know I would have to transfer to the new simm. I really don't think I want to get involved with rooting and Custom Roms if I don't have too and it seems like the Thrill looks better to be interface wise then the others and they don't have as much bloatware like the others (one of the reasons I don't have Xperia Neo, Ray or Arc on this list).
    So what do you guys/gals think of all that I said here with starting out with Straighttalk waiting to port and choosing a phone? thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    5,009
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Please be aware of this sentence from the ST T&C:

    Once you have been assigned your Straight Talk phone number you cannot change it or your Service plan until your Service End Date (as described below) without losing any unused Service balance. If you change your assigned phone number or Service plan prior to your Service End Date, you will lose any unused Service balance.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    18
    Feedback Score
    0
    I would recommend you port it two days before your end date with att also when ever you change phone #'s you will need a new sim with straight talk. If you like att service then I would just port your number when you are ready since it will basicly be the same service.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    621
    Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    Also with all ST SIM cards so far, a number change required them to actually send you a new SIM which I believe you would need to pay for with the BYOD.

    I personally think Google Voice is a great place to port your main number so that you won't ever have to worry about a carrier botching it up again. Each his own though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    954
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkio View Post
    Also with all ST SIM cards so far, a number change required them to actually send you a new SIM which I believe you would need to pay for with the BYOD.

    I personally think Google Voice is a great place to port your main number so that you won't ever have to worry about a carrier botching it up again. Each his own though.
    Only problem is GV doesn't support MMS. Messages with attachments just go "poof" into the aether.
    Nexus 5 rooted with ST AT&T LTE SIM & full Google Voice integration

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    335
    Phone
    Nokai Lumia 920
    Carrier
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Please be aware of this sentence from the ST T&C:

    Once you have been assigned your Straight Talk phone number you cannot change it or your Service plan until your Service End Date (as described below) without losing any unused Service balance. If you change your assigned phone number or Service plan prior to your Service End Date, you will lose any unused Service balance.
    I just got my SIMM card today ( a day ahead of schedule) So when is the best time to activate my card when I want to do my port 3 days prior to the end of my present provider billing period (its the 13th of the month) so I would have to wait? What are my consequences of me getting a number to try the service out first then porting in a week or on the 10th of the month I lose the rest of the balance of the month so I would have to purchase another $45 card?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    5,009
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by neftv View Post
    I just got my SIMM card today ( a day ahead of schedule) So when is the best time to activate my card when I want to do my port 3 days prior to the end of my present provider billing period (its the 13th of the month) so I would have to wait? What are my consequences of me getting a number to try the service out first then porting in a week or on the 10th of the month I lose the rest of the balance of the month so I would have to purchase another $45 card?
    Yes you would lose the the balance and have to add another card.
    BUT: If you are having to buy another $15 SIM for your ported number maybe you can find a CSR who will make an acception (they are allowed to do it). Think of excuses: problem SIM card and it`s costing me $15, don`t make it 15+45. I`m getting crank calls and am forced to change numbers I hadn`t planned on porting. Try to work in the term "upgrading" because they will transfer remaining airtime when upgrading.

    Finally do you know of someone that would purchase your old activated SIM containing a phone number and some remaining airtime. If you set their phone up you might actually turn a profit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    335
    Phone
    Nokai Lumia 920
    Carrier
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Yes you would lose the the balance and have to add another card.
    BUT: If you are having to buy another $15 SIM for your ported number maybe you can find a CSR who will make an acception (they are allowed to do it). Think of excuses: problem SIM card and it`s costing me $15, don`t make it 15+45. I`m getting crank calls and am forced to change numbers I hadn`t planned on porting. Try to work in the term "upgrading" because they will transfer remaining airtime when upgrading.

    Finally do you know of someone that would purchase your old activated SIM containing a phone number and some remaining airtime. If you set their phone up you might actually turn a profit.
    I just decided to activate and port my number over. It went smoothly with in 10 mins I have service with StraightTalk.
    I AM LIBERATED FROM AT&T. yeee haaaa.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    402
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just remember - that expensive car isn't yours, you have the cheap SUV.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    335
    Phone
    Nokai Lumia 920
    Carrier
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by W2PMX View Post
    Just remember - that expensive car isn't yours, you have the cheap SUV.
    Yea I realize that. Well see how this goes over the next few months.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    423
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    Only problem is GV doesn't support MMS. Messages with attachments just go "poof" into the aether.
    While I don't use MMS often, I would still like to have it available. Does Google plan to ever add MMS support?

    Sent from my DROIDX using HowardForums

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    954
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    They're fixing it, slowly. Currently only works with Sprint.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0
    I got the new st SIM & installed in my new Samsung Infuse (AT&T). The phone works, email works, internet via app works (download & updare app, YOUTUBE app), internet via WFi works. The prolem is but when I try to go to the net from the phone, it doesn't work even the phone get very strong signal (bothe phone & data H+). It said the webpage isn't available, the same page I was with Wifi a minute ago.
    What's the problem. HELP!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    402
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    krytar, it might be a DNS problem (on ST's end). Contact ST tech support.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    954
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by krytar View Post
    I got the new st SIM & installed in my new Samsung Infuse (AT&T). The phone works, email works, internet via app works (download & updare app, YOUTUBE app), internet via WFi works. The prolem is but when I try to go to the net from the phone, it doesn't work even the phone get very strong signal (bothe phone & data H+). It said the webpage isn't available, the same page I was with Wifi a minute ago.
    What's the problem. HELP!
    Remove the web proxy from your APN settings. It's not needed and sometimes gets buggy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Unused New Sim Card - what to do with it?
    By walnutcrunch in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-25-2006, 08:45 PM
  2. Brand New Spare SIM Card. What to do?
    By daload in forum Fido
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 12:34 PM
  3. FS: Brand new FIDO SIM Card
    By mikew44 in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2001, 08:16 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-12-2001, 10:41 PM
  5. Motorola T193 Brand New w/ SIM Card
    By b4boy in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2001, 11:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks