Thread: Trying to get Google Maps on my LG 800g

Feedback Score

Trying to get Google Maps on my LG 800g

Trying to get Google Maps on my LG 800g. It always fails to fully install/download past 240KB. I heard there was a way to download the file on a desktop and then place it on my phone, however I do not know how to do this exactly. I visited getjar website but there is no option to get the file onto my PC, it automatically gives me a quick downlaod code to use on my phone's browser. any help with this?

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3gbagc View Post
    Trying to get Google Maps on my LG 800g. It always fails to fully install/download past 240KB. I heard there was a way to download the file on a desktop and then place it on my phone, however I do not know how to do this exactly. I visited getjar website but there is no option to get the file onto my PC, it automatically gives me a quick downlaod code to use on my phone's browser. any help with this?
    You can download Google Maps to your PC from http://boostapps.com/apps/google-maps-2-3-2/ Copy the jar file to your memory card and click it in My Files.
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Feedback Score
    OK, got it on my phone now, but it seems like the touch pad doesn't work for it. I also declined to have a keypad when ti first started up and now I wish to have the use of it sense I cannot navigate the maps. How do you use this app?
    Last edited by ps3gbagc; 02-22-2012 at 01:50 AM.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    If you want the navigation keys just uninstall the app and reinstall (run the jar file again) but accept the navigation keypad this time.

Feedback Score
    Alright thanks. Also whats the best web browser to use and what are the advantages over the browser that already came with the phone?

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    To view normal web pages use Opera Mini, that gets around the 300K page size limitation the native browser suffers. Opera Mini is about your only choice other than the native browser since Bolt Browser quit operations, there are a few others if you look hard but Opera Mini is probably the most popular web browser for TF users. Personally I use the native browser and goto mobile web sites with the native browser for most of my internet use, when the web sites I want don't have a mobile web page then I fallback to using Opera Mini. If you go for Opera Mini make sure you get the signed security certificate version otherwise it pesters you with security warnings. Someone on this forum has the direct link address to download the Opera Mini with signed certificates but in case they don't pop in here and offer it here is the other method to download it:

Goto m.opera.com on your phone... On the page it brings up select "Other download options" NOT THE OPTION TO DOWNLOAD 4.?, next page go way down the page near the bottom until it says "Options for Opera Mini 6.5" and click-on the "Select Code-Signing Certificate". On the page that brings up select "All certificates" then on the next page you select "Download Opera Mini 6.5" and that will get you Opera Mini 6.5 with signed certificates.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3gbagc View Post
    OK, got it on my phone now, but it seems like the touch pad doesn't work for it. I also declined to have a keypad when ti first started up and now I wish to have the use of it sense I cannot navigate the maps. How do you use this app?
    I couldn't get Google Map on my LG800 ... I even created a .JAD file and put it on my phone... but still does not show on App - Game screen.
    Do I need to create a folder named "My files" ?
    It shows in the folder where it is located when I use the USB cable ...Do I need to click it?

TIA

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    meetoo88,
    Try putting the jar or jad file in the Other folder with your computer, disconnect from the computer and browse to the Other folder on your phone through the My Stuff folder on the second page of the Tools/Settings. When you have the jar or jad file displayed tap on it to run the file and it should install the jar file or fetch it on the internet if you use a jad. The jar and jad files aren't going to be displayed in the Games & App, you'll only see INSTALLED programs there, you have to run the jar or jad to INSTALL it. Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    meetoo88,
    Try putting the jar or jad file in the Other folder with your computer, disconnect from the computer and browse to the Other folder on your phone through the My Stuff folder on the second page of the Tools/Settings. When you have the jar or jad file displayed tap on it to run the file and it should install the jar file or fetch it on the internet if you use a jad. The jar and jad files aren't going to be displayed in the Games & App, you'll only see INSTALLED programs there, you have to run the jar or jad to INSTALL it. Hope that helps.
    Thanks BobbyLee... that did it.
    The 1st file I copied was put in the "Other Folder" automatically.... so when i recopied another one, it was also placed in the same folder... ended up with 2 copies.
    Is it safe to delete both copies now that it was installed or should I keep one.
    Navigating one's way in the LG world is like navigating a maze to me... not very intuitive at all to find what one is looking for.

Googlemaps is the first program I was able to use fully and usefully on Tracfone.
    Using the Browsers is another story altogether... I don't think I will ever bother using them again.

Thanks again.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by meetoo88 View Post
    Thanks BobbyLee... that did it.
    The 1st file I copied was put in the "Other Folder" automatically.... so when i recopied another one, it was also placed in the same folder... ended up with 2 copies.
    Is it safe to delete both copies now that it was installed or should I keep one.
    Navigating one's way in the LG world is like navigating a maze to me... not very intuitive at all to find what one is looking for.

Googlemaps is the first program I was able to use fully and usefully on Tracfone.
    Using the Browsers is another story altogether... I don't think I will ever bother using them again.

Thanks again.
    You can delete both the original install files (jar/jad) after you've installed it, they're no longer needed after you get them installed. It's like a software CD, once you install the program you don't need the CD to use the program. Personally I save the jar files on my external card in a directory called Backup Apps just in case I want to re-install them while I'm away from my computer.

FYI, here is a good reference if you want to be more familiar with Opera Mini: http://www.opera.com/mobile/help/guide/ It's good to know how to use it in case you need it.