Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPhone on Straight Talk - Visual Voicemail Alternatives?

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Question iPhone on Straight Talk - Visual Voicemail Alternatives?

Hi everybody. I just moved my iPhone over to Straight Talk with the BYOP plan and it works great!!! As most of you know, the standard Visual Voicemail does not work when you switch to ST (without jailbreaking of course) so I was wondering what the community uses for their voicemail on ST iPhones. Perhaps we can start a lively discussion about it here, and inform future ST converts as well.

As of today, I am aware of a few Visual Voicemail alternatives:

HulloMail
    YouMail
    ON Voicefeed
    Fusion Voicemail +
    Google Voice

... or None of the Above (i.e., the standard ST voicemail (not visual)). Are there any others out there? What do you use on your Straight Talk iPhone?

Phone
    Moto Atrix4G
    Carrier
    StraightTalk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    From my experience and understanding, which is just beginning with ST, you need call forwarding in order to utilize visual voice mail with a 3rd party program, and most if not all prepaid carriers do not offer it.

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Devcomm View Post
    From my experience and understanding, which is just beginning with ST, you need call forwarding in order to utilize visual voice mail with a 3rd party program, and most if not all prepaid carriers do not offer it.
    Fair enough, but I guess I'm referring to the Straight Talk BYOP program currently offered (which a lot of iPhoners are jumping on at the moment). This program does utilize Call Forwarding.

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I've used YouMail in the past, it works fine. Not sure I'd pay a monthly extra fee for it though.

Google Voice seems like a good middle ground.

Phone
    Galaxy S3, iPhone 4S/4
    Carriers
    Skype/Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Although I haven't switched to ST just yet (8 days left in my current billing period...on Red Pocket now), YouMail works quite well. I would think it is fine on ST since they are both MVNOs on AT&T, provided you have an appropriate SIM. I like the fact that you get a great service for FREE with the option to add additional features for what I think is a reasonable price. With YouMail being the only non native service I have tried, my opinion may be a bit biased.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I use youmail although I liked it better when I was on IOS 4 and it was integrated right into the voicemail tab while in the phone App.

I don't mind that it's a separate app on there under IOS 5, I just wish jay would hurry up and fix it for IOS 5 so it would feel native.

Feedback Score
    Oh so the cydia youmail that's integrated into the phone app don't work on iOS 5.0.1 at all? Lemme know cause I was gonna install it but don't want it to mess up my stuff. I read a thread that had some horror stories about an older version of the app that even once uninstalled would fubar your voicemail.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Devcomm View Post
    Conditional call forwarding works on Straight Talk, if you have their AT&T-compatible SIM card. Many of us are running YouMail without problems. It may not work if you use Straight Talk's T-Mobile compatible SIM, but we are not sure. T-Mobile doesn't support this for their prepaid customers or for the MVNO Simple Mobile, so the chances of it working for Straight Talk are slim.

For YouMail on the iPhone though, if you want YouMail integrated they way the built-in visual voicemail client is, you need to jailbreak. The is a YouMail app in the App Store that users who don't want to jailbreak can use, but it works as a separate app, and won't integrate into the phone they way the app in Cydia (jailbreak) does.

As for actually setting up the conditional call forwarding without any jailbreaking, dial the following GSM code into the phone dialpad and then press the CALL button as if you were to call that number.
    *004*VvoicemailDepositNumber# where VoicemailDepositNumber is the 10-digit phone number your VM provider uses to receive messages for their customers. An example of what you'd dial is: *004*7145551234#

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I've been playing around with ON Voicefeed and it seems to be working for me. I'd really like the Voicemail Tab integration of YouMail but haven't jailbroken my phone (yet).

Google Voice seems to have the best response time (no lag, good notifications, etc.) but whenever I call someone back it always comes from the GV number... is it just me or is the GV app just like that?

Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CeluGeek View Post
    Conditional call forwarding works on Straight Talk, if you have their AT&T-compatible SIM card. Many of us are running YouMail without problems. It may not work if you use Straight Talk's T-Mobile compatible SIM, but we are not sure. T-Mobile doesn't support this for their prepaid customers or for the MVNO Simple Mobile, so the chances of it working for Straight Talk are slim.

For YouMail on the iPhone though, if you want YouMail integrated they way the built-in visual voicemail client is, you need to jailbreak. The is a YouMail app in the App Store that users who don't want to jailbreak can use, but it works as a separate app, and won't integrate into the phone they way the app in Cydia (jailbreak) does.

As for actually setting up the conditional call forwarding without any jailbreaking, dial the following GSM code into the phone dialpad and then press the CALL button as if you were to call that number.
    *004*VvoicemailDepositNumber# where VoicemailDepositNumber is the 10-digit phone number your VM provider uses to receive messages for their customers. An example of what you'd dial is: *004*7145551234#
    do you know how to use YouMail with ios 5?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by afsalva View Post
    do you know how to use YouMail with ios 5?
    My previous message you quoted has all I know. I don't have an iPhone so sorry I can't be more specific.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your kind words about ON Voicefeed! Let us know if you questions about the app!

Phone
    Galaxy S3, iPhone 4S/4
    Carriers
    Skype/Sprint
    Feedback Score

More on YouMail

I have been very satisfied with YouMail, although I wish Cydia would update the integrated in phone app for IOS 5. The separate app available in the AppStore works good enough though. YouMail sent me an email with a leap year special for the paid service ($10.99/yr), which I signed up for. Just thought I would share the coupon code for those who didn't know about it/may want it.

Code @ checkout:
    LEAPYEAR12

Feedback Score
    ^what does the paid youmail have more than the free version?
    New- iPhone 5S
    16gb|silver|7.0.6 jailbroken
    Old- iPhone 4S
    16gb|black|7.0.6 jailbroken
    On AT&T 10GB value shared plan April 2014 - ...
    Black Wireless (AT&T) March 2014 - April 2014
    Net10 (AT&T) Jan 2014 - March 2014
    ST (AT&T) May 2012 - Jan 2014

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    aio
    Feedback Score
    I personally use Google Voice. It has push notifications and it beautifully transcribes (sometimes hilariously). But I have no problems with it - ST AT&T sim.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast