Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung galaxy s2 on straight talk sim swap???

Feedback Score

Samsung galaxy s2 on straight talk sim swap???

OK first of all i am really clueless about this. Would a international S2 work on the straight talk sim swap plan? Could I buy a locked phone off of craigslist or ebay and unlock it and use it with ST? How are ST data speeds?

Thanks SO MUCH,
    Drayton Chesser

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I have the AT&T Galaxy S 2 with the Nokia E71 SIM swap. The International Galaxy S 2 supports AT&T 3G bands, so it'll work fine. I believe the International Galaxy S 2 comes unlocked out of the box, so you should be good to go out of the box.

Feedback Score
    Yes. I used ATT Galaxy S 2 for while.
    You get 4g with galaxy S 2.
    Highest download speed was 7mbps.

Feedback Score
    OK but what about the " bring your own phone plan" that isn't a loophole. (http://straighttalksim.com)

Feedback Score
    7mbps would be great for me!

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dchesser View Post
    OK but what about the " bring your own phone plan" that isn't a loophole. (http://straighttalksim.com)
    Yes, buy sim.... buy the phone unlocked or not it will work fine... i have a Nokia E71 swap from before and it works fine with my S2.

Feedback Score
    OK thanks for all of your help!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Go with the ST AT&T buy-a-sim for $15, any needed replacements are $15.
    or
    Go with the refurbed Nokia 6790 (which contains the same SIM) for $50
    You have a spare phone - that can be used for troubleshooting the service (if the SIM works in the 6790 -the other phone is at fault).
    Replacement SIMS are always free.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    A "locked" phone is just locked to a SIM for a particular provider. Since an S2 would be locked to
    AT&T, and the SIM swap is with an AT&T SIM, and you can get an AT&T SIM with BYOD, the only differences between a SIM swap and BYOD are a) the price and b) probably how ST feels about your swapping a SIM. Oh, and if you need to replace the SIM for any reason, with BYOD you pay for the new one, while with the swap they provide one free. No major difference.

I second the second thing that Tracfancier said if you can afford the extra $35.

Feedback Score
    I'm usually sitting on 4-5 bars, my speeds have been around 3 down, 1.5 up. Jealous if any of you people are really getting 7 down! Can't complain though coming from 500kbs down on VM

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Go with the ST AT&T buy-a-sim for $15, any needed replacements are $15.
    or
    Go with the refurbed Nokia 6790 (which contains the same SIM) for $50
    You have a spare phone - that can be used for troubleshooting the service (if the SIM works in the 6790 -the other phone is at fault).
    Replacement SIMS are always free.
    I don't know what people are doing to SIM cards around these neck of the woods. I have never, ever had to replace a SIM card other than when switching service providers. Unless you have to be changing your phone number frequently, you won't be spending $15 on replacement SIMs that often. Why pay more just to get one of the ugliest and more stupidly designed phones ever made, when you are not even going to use it?

To the OP: If you are looking into buying a LOCKED phone, keep in mind only phones locked to either AT&T or T-Mobile USA can be used with Straight Talk's BYOP SIM cards. If the phone is locked to any international carrier (including T-Mobile in other countries), or to any carrier in the US other than T-Mobile or AT&T, you will need to unlock the phone before you can use it for Staight Talk service. If the phone is locked to either AT&T or T-Mobile, you have to make sure you order the correct SIM from Straight Talk. AT&T-compatible SIM for AT&T-locked phones, and T-Mobile compatible SIM for T-Mobile locked phones.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CeluGeek View Post
    Why pay more just to get one of the ugliest and more stupidly designed phones ever made, when you are not even going to use it?
    You wait for another "Nokia phone and 3 months of service for $99" deals. Then you save $26 on the service and have a (admittedly a lot less than ideal) free spare phone for use when your main phone goes bad, or to check if the problem you're having at the moment is the phone or the network. Or sell the phone for $25 and the 3 months cost you $75. (And you saved $15 on the SIM, bringing the whole thing down to $20/month.)

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CeluGeek View Post
    I don't know what people are doing to SIM cards around these neck of the woods. I have never, ever had to replace a SIM card other than when switching service providers...
    While it's rare SIM cards can and do fail. I've had two SIM failures in the last 8 years, one with a 5 year old T-Mobile Prepaid SIM, the other a 4 year old Boost Mobile iDEN SIM. The failure mode was the same for both, any phone the SIM was inserted in complained of a missing SIM.

I do agree that buying the $50 Nokia 6790 as insurance on a $15 SIM does not make sense. On the other hand ST charging for replacement SIMs is pure greed. T-Mobile and Sprint stores replaced my defective SIMs for free with no questions asked.
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    5 years is a pretty good run for a SIM card. I don't think you'll have to worry about your BYOD SIM failing in 2 years, that shouldn't be an issue. But I would suggest people go for the BYOD SIM because if the SIM fails, you just buy another one and transfer the service over to it. Whereas with the E71/6790/E5, you would have to wait for them to send you a new SIM card, which is time without a phone. At least with the BYOD SIM, you can just keep a spare and its just $15.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You can also pull that Nokia out of your sock drawer and put a BYOD SIM in it and set your parents/In-laws/relative/etc. up with a phone that you control. They pay the $45/Mo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast