Treo 600
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb Some news on the Danger Hiptop

February 15, 2002
    Danger's Hiptop slips
    By Carmen Nobel

The long-awaited launch of startup Danger Inc.'s Hiptop device, originally planned for the end of 2001, has now slipped until late spring. But officials said the device should appear in carrier trials within the next month.

"In order for us to hit a date all of the partners have to align," said Renee Niemi, vice president of marketing at the Palo Alto, Calif., company. "We thought that the market and the partners would all be ready by the end of December, and now it looks like it will be more like the spring. We feel pretty good about the late spring."

Danger announced the Hiptop last September at the DemoMobile trade show in La Jolla, Calif. The device combines a cell phone, personal digital assistant and pager.

Sources close to Danger said that the company soon will announce a partnership with Voicestream Wireless, which will be starting trials with the Hiptop within the next month on its GSM/GPRS (global system for mobility/general packet radio service) network, which supports both voice and data. Officials at Voicestream were not immediately available for comment.

The company is targeting carriers with a back-end service that provides wireless messaging, e-mail, Web browsing and other applications. But it is also providing a hardware reference design for a device custom-made to support these applications.

"Essentially we're working with a contract manufacturer and the carrier orders from the contract manufacturer," Niemi said.

At the time the Hiptop was announced the main competition was Research in Motion's Blackberry e-mail pager. Since then, though, Handspring Inc. has started shipping the Treo device, which has functions similar to that of the Hiptop.

Much may depend on customer response to the way the device delivers Web content. (A Flash demonstration can be found at www.danger.com.)

"The RIM Blackberry is great because it delivers e-mail in a really easy to use way," said Christopher Bell, CTO of the People2People Group, a media services company in Boston, who currently uses a Blackberry 950 device. "It doesn't, however, do a great job with the Web. Its Web solutions are awkward and expensive for what they deliver."

He added, though, that the form factor is important, too.

"It's tough to use the Web on a small screen with a tiny keyboard even if it is great for e-mail," he said.

The Hiptop's screen measures 2.6 inches diagonally.

Danger hopes to win customers by keeping the cost of the Hiptop below $200. Right now RIM sells two models of the Blackberry, which cost $399 and $499. The Treo costs $399 with the purchase of an additional GSM service plan and $549 without.

Much depends on the service itself, though. Carriers have yet to announce pricing for the Hiptop.

Feedback Score
    man i can't wait till the hiptop actually hits the streets. I've been following this device for a while now and just want it to be released dammit! very cool for $200!!!

Device(s)
    iPhone IIIgs
    Carrier(s)
    Main: Cingular(US)
    Feedback Score
    **drooooooool **
    man, all these good news! Nokia triband, ericsson symbian device, danger hiptop....jeez... I need to start saving serious bucks!
    Club-Admiralty - my site

Phone History: Maxon MX-3204; Nokia 7110; Nokia 8290; Ericsson T28w; Nokia 8890; Ericsson T68; SE P800; Nokia 7190; HTC Blue Angel; LG L1400; Nokia 1100; Blackberry 8703; Nokia N80; Nokia 6126; Motorola V3xx, iPhone IIIgs

I Lurk, therefore I am

Feedback Score

Talking

no kidding huh...i think its time for me to start going back on the all-ramen eating schedule...

any news on whether or not voicestream has finally started to test them? any firm or suspected release date?

Carrier(s)
    Voicestream
    Feedback Score
    wow, i saw the demo on the web. its pretty different. you can do practically anything on it. and for only $200, thats pretty good. i wonder if itll be single band or tri-band.

Device(s)
    Treo 600
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Unhappy No specifics yet

I sent a message to Voicestream a few weeks ago and was given the typical "check the website" response which is basicly a "non" response.

I hoping some readers of this forum might have some additional information via the grapevine they can share.

Feedback Score
    last i heard it was going to be released first in the US as a 1900mhz phone. I've also heard that after the US GSM release, a possible CDMA or worldwide GSM release would take place (which seems more likely, given that Danger has received funding from european companies such as DT).

again...only rumours.