Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How is Straight Talk on the iPhone?

Feedback Score
    Has anyone purchased an iPhone 3GS off GameStop online? Lookin for one.

Feedback Score
    Well,

Mine doesn't work in this was.
    I was using H2O then switched to Red Pocket which they're all using att network, then finally moved to Straight Talk,
    I've been living at same place for two years and never had problem with H2O or red pocket, data speed was OK, never really had problem.
    but straight talk data speed is REALLY slow, much slower than EDGE.
    MOST of times I can't even go online, AppStore says no internet connection, safari can't open any sites.
    I m using unlocked iPhone 4 with att straight talk sim card.
    I just got an att straight talk sim card for my girlfriend, she has an 3g, will see if something wrong with my phone or not.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    Well,

Mine doesn't work in this was.
    I was using H2O then switched to Red Pocket which they're all using att network, then finally moved to Straight Talk,
    I've been living at same place for two years and never had problem with H2O or red pocket, data speed was OK, never really had problem.
    but straight talk data speed is REALLY slow, much slower than EDGE.
    MOST of times I can't even go online, AppStore says no internet connection, safari can't open any sites.
    I m using unlocked iPhone 4 with att straight talk sim card.
    I just got an att straight talk sim card for my girlfriend, she has an 3g, will see if something wrong with my phone or not.
    Sounds like you need to do some troubleshooting. There are several threads that address problems that people have been having. I, too, had some data problems in the first week I had ST, but since resolving them, I am sooooo happy to be on a good network with a great phone (came from Virgin, which was great at first but had degraded significantly). Once you get the problems worked out, you should be happy again.

Feedback Score
    How did you change these settings. I have tried everything. I unlocked and jailbroke my phone. I can't send or receive MMS. Everything I research tells me to go to cydia and download ThetherME which is no longer on Cydia. I have an Iphone 4 running 5.0.1 software.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I used Tetherme. It was available last week. It is still listed on the bigboss repo website (which hosts the app), so I don't understand why it wouldn't be available, but I don't have a lot of experience with cydia.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    If you look at the APNs for redpocket and H20 the first line "att.mvno" should be the same. They are accessing the same server. The internet speed should be close. From what I have seen all of the people that have the new sim card are getting good speeds as long as they are in an area that is good for at&t. However I have also heard there are network issues in some areas that they are trying to fix currently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using HowardForums
    For instructions on using Androids with Straight Talk don't PM me....I don't usually answer....click here!
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...stop-asking%29

Phone
    Galaxy S3, iPhone 4S/4
    Carriers
    Skype/Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have only been on ST for 1 day, but great so far. Good call quality and texts/MMS seem to send/receive quickly. Data actually seems a bit better than on Red Pocket. Attachment 79212

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have been using my E71 sim in my 3GS for over a year. I had to jailbreak and get teatherme to get my mms. It's been a great switch. I don't get how so many people have problems getting it to work. I have saved about 600 bucks over the last year. Two thumbs up for ST

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fuiscecailin View Post
    How did you change these settings. I have tried everything. I unlocked and jailbroke my phone. I can't send or receive MMS. Everything I research tells me to go to cydia and download ThetherME which is no longer on Cydia. I have an Iphone 4 running 5.0.1 software.
    You spelled it as Thetherme in your post. It's actually spelled Tetherme and still shows up on cydia on my phone. Could it be you just misspelled it in your search on cydia ? If your Iphone4 is AT&T you will need these settings from my other post for mms to work.

Hi
    I'm on a iphone 4 with mms working thanks to somebody else who posted the solution he found in one of the byop troubleshooting threads here. below are the settings you need for it to work. The very last one is the one that made mms work for me after hours of frustration. I'm very happy with it now though with everything working great. By the way these are for the AT&T sim.
    Goodluck !

This is what your settings should look like. Fill in the fields on your iPhone as follows:

Cellular Data
    APN: att.mvno
    Username:
    Password:

MMS
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80
    MMS Max Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by river.guy View Post
    I have only been on ST for 1 day, but great so far. Good call quality and texts/MMS seem to send/receive quickly. Data actually seems a bit better than on Red Pocket.
    I remmber my first few days with ST. Speedtest as fast as yours.
    Now, it's extremely slow.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maestroteague View Post
    Sounds like you need to do some troubleshooting. There are several threads that address problems that people have been having. I, too, had some data problems in the first week I had ST, but since resolving them, I am sooooo happy to be on a good network with a great phone (came from Virgin, which was great at first but had degraded significantly). Once you get the problems worked out, you should be happy again.
    I may need, but I have no idea how to troubleshoot ST/iPhone. I can't find any threads about it.

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I ported my ATT number over to ST... it was completed in under five minutes!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjr1964 View Post
    You spelled it as Thetherme in your post. It's actually spelled Tetherme and still shows up on cydia on my phone. Could it be you just misspelled it in your search on cydia ? If your Iphone4 is AT&T you will need these settings from my other post for mms to work.

Hi
    I'm on a iphone 4 with mms working thanks to somebody else who posted the solution he found in one of the byop troubleshooting threads here. below are the settings you need for it to work. The very last one is the one that made mms work for me after hours of frustration. I'm very happy with it now though with everything working great. By the way these are for the AT&T sim.
    Goodluck !

This is what your settings should look like. Fill in the fields on your iPhone as follows:

Cellular Data
    Username:
    Password:

MMS
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80
    MMS Max Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf
    Did you need to jailbreak your phone in order to get MMS working?
    Pete

Feedback Score
    My iPhone contract with AT&T doesn't expire until July 29th. Since I'm on a family plan my monthly cost is reasonable. I simply wish to get rid of AT&T and switch to Straight Talk and thereby eliminate overages and other frustrations of dealing with AT&T. My question is can I switch SIM cards on my iPhone and port my number over prior to the cancellation date, but continue paying my contribution to the family plan until the expiration date? I have read somewhere that AT&T wouldn't approve the number port while a contract exists? Another question is can i do the switch without the number port? I don't see a problem since as far as AT&T is concerned my phone is turned off. The downside is I can't receive calls on my current telephone number. Note: continuing to pay until expiration is cheaper than paying the ETF. Thanks
    Pete

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Porting your current AT&T number will cance/changel the contract. Take the AT&T contract SIM out of your phone and set it aside. Buy the ST AT&T BYOD SIM and activate in your phone and set the ST APN. When you are ready to port, you will need to buy another $15 ST SIM to accept the phone number.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast