Thread: Please help, us cell to straight talk

Feedback Score

Please help, us cell to straight talk

Hi, i am new to the site and i couldnt find my way around. I understand unlocking a phone and using it on different services but i couldnt find how to do that for straight talk or if it is possible. I have a us cellular Optimus LG. Please help and im sorry if there is already a post out there on this. Thank you in advance!

Feedback Score
    not possible. you can however use your own gsm phone with straight talk.

Carriers
    VZW PP 50
    Feedback Score
    Is possible.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Not possible.
    It would have to operate with Verizon service on ST, and ST will not allow the activation of an outside CDMA phone on their network, only their own CDMA phones. The only BYOD that ST will allow must use ST AT&T or T-Mobile SIM cards.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    However....if corp.tyler had read the original post all the way through he would have realized that the guy has a US Cellular phone.....it is CDMA. It will NOT work on Straight Talk. Hey Tyler.....we probably know more than you do about these phones....actually....I guarantee we do. It's not that we don't appreciate input on the website, but there are tech guys here, cell phone reps, etc. There are people here from all different areas of the industry.....plus a few people that are just geeks that know a lot as a result of research. If we find a problem that can't be solved by us, then we refer them to Straight Talk customer service. People sometimes come to us because even after talking to Straight Talk customer service their phone STILL doesn't work properly. Usually it's because the service reps tell them that ANY GSM phone will work for BYOP provided that it is an ATT or Tmobil phone or any unlocked GSM phone. Unfortunately, what they don't say is that some phones do not have APN settings that are easily accessible or accessible at all. In some cases where ST people didn't know what to do we've step in and shown your customers what to do ourselves if possible. We've been doing this a lot longer. Let us do what we do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using HowardForums
    For instructions on using Androids with Straight Talk don't PM me....I don't usually answer....click here!
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...stop-asking%29

Feedback Score
    I know the older US Cellular phones were strictly on the CDMA network. I am trying to find out about getting some phones switched over. I have two that take the 4g sim cards. Would these work or am I out of luck and need to get new phones?

The phones I have are the Note 2 and the Galaxy S3. I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about tech but when I started researching the different companies and phones, it just got confusing and calling straight talk tech support really got me nowhere. According to them, it can be done, but other posts I have read on other boards state since it is US Cellular and their base network is CDMA their phones will never work on straight talk even though the new models that get 4G and require the sim card it doesn't matter. I stumbled across this while trying to google for better information and figured ask some tech geeks who would definitely know. I do know that if you take out the card it does say "insert sim card"
    Last edited by jimjam40; 03-31-2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: adding some information

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Let's focus the discussion on the question that was asked and not on how great you think you are and how uninformed you think other people are.

Everyone's welcome to post here, even if they're mistaken. That's how we learn.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade1994 View Post
    However....if corp.tyler had read the original post all the way through he would have realized that the guy has a US Cellular phone.....it is CDMA. It will NOT work on Straight Talk. Hey Tyler.....we probably know more than you do about these phones....actually....I guarantee we do. It's not that we don't appreciate input on the website, but there are tech guys here, cell phone reps, etc. There are people here from all different areas of the industry.....plus a few people that are just geeks that know a lot as a result of research. If we find a problem that can't be solved by us, then we refer them to Straight Talk customer service. People sometimes come to us because even after talking to Straight Talk customer service their phone STILL doesn't work properly. Usually it's because the service reps tell them that ANY GSM phone will work for BYOP provided that it is an ATT or Tmobil phone or any unlocked GSM phone. Unfortunately, what they don't say is that some phones do not have APN settings that are easily accessible or accessible at all. In some cases where ST people didn't know what to do we've step in and shown your customers what to do ourselves if possible. We've been doing this a lot longer. Let us do what we do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using HowardForums
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I no longer see messages from these users (and won't respond to them):
    pfoneguy, rcentros.

Feedback Score
    so I guess I am in the same boat as the OP. i am glad there are forums like this though because as I said in my post their customer service was really no help even after a second call and different csr. it really is infuriating to call customer service and get a scripted response

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    jimjam40 -- you do realize this thread was from a year ago -- Feb 2012.

The information posted before you revived this thread might not be relevant now. For instance, apparently any day now Straight Talk is going to have some kind of CDMA BYOP plan for CDMA phones. Therefore reviving an outdated thread which says you CANOT bring your own CDMA phone to Straight Talk makes it look like the forum members here are clueless, where that was quite accurate 12 months ago.

Probably would be better to start a new thread with YOUR information instead of trying to resurrect an outdated thread?

As for US Cellular and their "sim card" I'm sure you mean the LTE card. Over at MetroPCS, they are also CDMA + LTE, just like US Cellular and Verizon and now Sprint. Metro actually had the first LTE network in the U.S., beating Verizon. The reason I tell you this is their techs were quite adamant the LTE card was NOT "sim card". It's a UICC (Universal Integrated Circuit Card). NOT. NOT a "sim card". But so many people kept calling it a "sim card" they just gave in and started calling it that too so people wouldn't be confused.

It's like a pistol with a magazine and a rifle with a clip.

With a pistol, the thing that holds the bullets is a MAGAZINE, not a "clip"

A rifle has a clip.

But so many newbies call the pistol mag a clip I've stopped correcting them. I know what they are talking about.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Feedback Score
    Chazmat,

Your terminology is slightly askew. Both pistols and rifles can have magazines, and what you have illustrated for the AR15 is a MAGAZINE not a "Clip".

A clip for a rifle would be something like an M1 used, which had an internal magazine that a "Clip" would allow to be reloaded. These were known as "Stripper clips" since the rounds would be "Stripped" from them into the rifles' internal magazine.

I own 7 AR15's and many other magazine fed rifles. Check with others on a popular website called AR15.com for confirmation of these statements if you have doubts.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    Chazmat,

Your terminology is slightly askew. Both pistols and rifles can have magazines, and what you have illustrated for the AR15 is a MAGAZINE not a "Clip".

A clip for a rifle would be something like an M1 used, which had an internal magazine that a "Clip" would allow to be reloaded. These were known as "Stripper clips" since the rounds would be "Stripped" from them into the rifles' internal magazine.

I own 7 AR15's and many other magazine fed rifles. Check with others on a popular website called AR15.com for confirmation of these statements if you have doubts.
    You are right. My point was more for pistols. People call it a clip, when it's a magazine. I've stopped correcting them in general conversation. If it's a friend I've taken to a gun range, then I'll briefly mention it so they know.

I own three 9mm, and a shotgun. I don't own any rifles.

Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score

Please help, us cell to straight talk

One thing I've noticed is just regular basic ammo is out of stock. People must be buying the stuff like crazy
    Running too many phones

Feedback Score
    We're waaaaay off topic, but yeah, all ammo is in short supply.

Same thing happened when Obama got elected the first time, and the fear was he would actively try to ban "Assault Weapons" which is not even a valid classification of military style firearms.