Thread: Can any current Net10/Tracfones download and use Apps?

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score

Can any current Net10/Tracfones download and use Apps?

Do any of the current crop of Net10/Tracfone phones support the downloading of .jar apps, i.e. Opera or Gmail app?

I tried doing so on a friend's LG 420G and found that they wouldn't download unless I manually edited one of the files inside the .jar file to indicate that Tracfone as the author. Then they would download, but when I opened them, they all reported having no internet connection, so it seems that even though I could download them, install them, and run them, the data connection didn't work and so they were useless.

Do any of the current phones support .jar files without the hack, and do any of them allow internet access to the app?
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I have blocked some Hofo users and so I don't see and won't respond to messages from them.

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    EndeavorOR

Yes the LG420G was unique in that you had to alter the .JAD to install any app, but it did work. I have done it with my LG420G and Opera Mini did indeed connect to the internet. I spent over an hour of air time fiddling with it before I said 'that's nice- and expensive to use'. I'm not sure what happened on your friends 420.

Yes all the current Trac/Net10 phones, or should I say modern ones, support .JAR, without hack (except the LG420G), and allow internet access, given the right app.

Bolt browser no longer works as the Author has withdrawn support, but Opera Mini works great.

When I say 'given the right app', there are non-browser apps that want internet access, say to download music lyrics, or a QR code reader which won't work.

When I say 'modern ones' for phones.....The much older ones like the venerable W376G, or W260G, C139, (old) which intermittently appears on the TF web site then disappears, does not support .JAR that you can use.

Hope this helps.

~ Great Prepaid FAQ you got going there by the way

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. My friend's LG 420G was brand new, ST Branded on the $30/month deal. I'm convinced that they added something to block data. It will work with the supplied browser, but as soon as you launch Opera (with the added lines), the Data icon disappears, and Opera (or Gmail app) report that there's no working data service.

I'm glad you like the FAQ.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Just a minor point, I know K-L-M knows this but he didn't specify it in his post probably because you were talking about GSM phones from the beginning. When he said "Yes all the current Trac/Net10 phones, or should I say modern ones, support .JAR" he was talking about the GSM phones that have JAVA not the CDMA phones, most of the CDMA run BREW and good luck finding anything for them. I believe the only CDMA phone that has JAVA and can run the jar apps out now is the LG501C, I had Oprea Mini, Bolt, and the GMail app running on that one until I dumped it.

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    I'm glad you qualified that. The phone I was considering was the Samsung R375C on ST.

So, just to clarify - it won't run jar apps, right?

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    I'm not familiar with that phone but according to the specs on the Samsung web site for that phone (r375c (TracFone) QWERTY Cell Phone) it does support Java apps, it says "Many of the most popular sites and games require Java technology, so if your device doesn't have it, you'll need it. Your r375C already comes Java enabled, so you can browse the internet or play games with ease" so I 'think' you're safe with that choice.

Reference: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...KATFN-features

Hopefully all the new CDMA phones under Trac/Net10 will have JAVA and not BREW.

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    I've learned that with TF/NET10/ST, "comes with Java" doesn't mean that you can download, install, and use any Java apps.

I guess I may just have to spend $30 and find out!

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Just FYI, on another forum an individual said this about the Samsung R375 on ST:

"It has demos of Uno & Bubble bash 2. ya u can download things on it. I got opera mini 4 on it. I don't know why it says
    video recorder on it when it doesn't have it - I guess it's a mistake from them. lol - I like it so far - I had it for a week now"

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for that update. If that's true, this would make the perfect phone for when I need CDMA/Verizon coverage.