Thread: Can the Droid Razr Maxx (or Galaxy Nexus) be used as a world phone?

Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Can the Droid Razr Maxx (or Galaxy Nexus) be used as a world phone?

I'm considering the Droid Razr Maxx vs the Galaxy Nexus and I noticed in the specs that both of them have the "micro-sim" slot.

Does that mean that if Verizon will unlock the phone, I can put in a micro-sim chip in another country and use it as a gsm phone (assuming compatible bandwidth)?

Thanks in advance.

Device(s)
    DROID X, iPhone 3G (...Prepaid AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The only phone that can do it (unofficially) is the HTC Rezound. The galaxy nexus doesn't even have the radios unfortunately.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    A
    Carrier(s)
    A
    Feedback Score
    While the Droid RAZR and Nexus have micro-sim slots, they are only for Verizon's 4G LTE service, nothing more. They lack the radios for any other protocol. However, the Rezound does support GSM networks, but Verizon does not state this, its entirely unofficial. There is an informational thread about its global capabilities on XDA-Developers.com. I was able to place my brother's T-Mobile USA sim card in my Rezound and able to make and receive a call, but did not test texting nor data.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdydesi View Post
    While the Droid RAZR and Nexus have micro-sim slots, they are only for Verizon's 4G LTE service, nothing more. They lack the radios for any other protocol. However, the Rezound does support GSM networks, but Verizon does not state this, its entirely unofficial. There is an informational thread about its global capabilities on XDA-Developers.com. I was able to place my brother's T-Mobile USA sim card in my Rezound and able to make and receive a call, but did not test texting nor data.
    Actually, the Verizon Droid RAZR does have a GSM radio. It's just not enabled. One would assume that it's a similar situation to the Droid 4's GSM capabilities that Verizon has said will be enabled in the future. Since the Droid 4 and the RAZR are running the same chip set for the radio, I wouldn't be surprised if the RAZR is made GSM capable at some point as well. But of course, there's no telling when that might be (if ever).

Verizon's Galaxy Nexus on the other hand has no hope of any such capabilities, as Ark6 already said.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 (VZW), iPad 4 (1GB plan on T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Apparently the Droid Razr as well as some other phones will get an update that will allow GSM roaming.

http://m.cnet.com/news/verizon-to-ad.../57438841?ds=1

I hope this happens soonish. I may go on a family vacation in Italy this summer and would definitely want to have GSM roaming on my Maxx.

Posted from my Droid Razr Maxx.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Check out voice and/or data roamimg rates before you go. See $1,400 roaming charge on Rogers thread.