Thread: ICS Ice Cream Sandwich Motorola release schedule- has anybody seen this?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

ICS Ice Cream Sandwich Motorola release schedule- has anybody seen this?

This explains the "phase" in which an ice cream sandwich release is at for numerous Motorola phones...

I just saw that Verizon knocked the price on the Droid 3 to $9.99, and I'm very tempted. However, I'm really interested in ICS, and this release gives me great pause:

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

Maybe I should just wait for a Verizon phone released with ICS that I like to drop in price...

Feedback Score
    Yes. It's looking quite likely Jelly Bean could be out about the same time many devices are getting ICS for the first time. It's probably not a huge deal in the end as I doubt many apps or other things will get version without gingerbread support until most devices are on ICS, but it is annoying in that things that maybe could be a lot better if they were developed more specifically for ICS won't be for awhile. It does seem odd to buy a device a quarter year after ICS is released without it and still possibly have 3/4 a year or more before it would see ICS. Something needs to change in this respect.

This was supposed to get faster not slower and a year to upgrade seems slower to me.

Device(s)
    env 3
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    so basically by the time Q3 rolls around we will have most all the bugs worked out of Gingerbread . then we can get ICS and start on all the bugs it will have LOLLOL . whats sad is i bought a GSM nexus just to try out 4.0 thinking how great it would be to have a bug free experience and low and behold it was as buggy as anything else so really whats the point ?? I had the misconception that most of the bugs was due to the blur or sense overlay bit thats not really the case . android on a whole is about 6 months to early on all there releases .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyman29 View Post
    so basically by the time Q3 rolls around we will have most all the bugs worked out of Gingerbread . then we can get ICS and start on all the bugs it will have LOLLOL . whats sad is i bought a GSM nexus just to try out 4.0 thinking how great it would be to have a bug free experience and low and behold it was as buggy as anything else so really whats the point ?? I had the misconception that most of the bugs was due to the blur or sense overlay bit thats not really the case . android on a whole is about 6 months to early on all there releases .
    I've never noticed any bugs in the 4.0.3 ROMs I've tried and the leaked 4.0.4 leaked stuff is smoother than any UI I've used on a phone including iThings. 4.0.3 stuff is nice and mostly smooth except for keyboard stuff. The next official big code drop and official Google Build will be pretty slick though if 4.0.4 is any sign of things to come. Really don't know what your bug issues were, but I've never used a build before 4.0.2 and even then only for a tiny bit before everyone was building to 4.0.3 and I was romming that stuff. Very few bugs at this point though and a much better experience than any Gingerbread ROM I've tried.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Jelly Bean is 4.1 or 5.0? I'm assuming 4.1, right?

Feedback Score
    ICS is a completely different animal than previous versions of Android, there were a lot of changes in key area (especially graphics). Add to that many phones have to have their kernel upgraded as well.

Also, because of the way Google handles their releases (to everyone at once) any phone launched through the end of Q2 (at least) would have begun before ICS was released. For phones that were designed after ICS had been seen you are going to have to wait until Q3.

The point, expect to hear people complaining about ICS upgrades for awhile and expect to continue to see phones come out without it. If you want proof, just how many phones have had an official ICS upgrade?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Susurro View Post
    ICS is a completely different animal than previous versions of Android, there were a lot of changes in key area (especially graphics). Add to that many phones have to have their kernel upgraded as well.

Also, because of the way Google handles their releases (to everyone at once) any phone launched through the end of Q2 (at least) would have begun before ICS was released. For phones that were designed after ICS had been seen you are going to have to wait until Q3.

The point, expect to hear people complaining about ICS upgrades for awhile and expect to continue to see phones come out without it. If you want proof, just how many phones have had an official ICS upgrade?
    Well Motorola BETTER be first as they have the broadest use of OMAP4 used in the GNexus(Only official ICS phone so far) of any manufacturer. Basically getting camera, modems, and a few other sensor sorta things over to ICS should be all Motorola has to do. The rest still need the lower level graphics kernel stuff you speak of, but for Motorola who uses VERY SIMILAR to GNex processor I have been finding this excuse a bit silly.

And EVERYONE knew pretty well the time frame for ICS release and could have scheduled goals for the software development teams around that time frame. I will forgive everyone with mostly nonOMAP4 devices for being slow on ICS releases, but if ANY manufacturer beats Moto to an ICS release on a nonOMAP4 release it REALLY muddies Motorola's claims to being a ahead of the curve on Android updates.

Feedback Score
    What is the big rush for ics? Gb is working fine. When I had the bolt everyone was wanting Gb and when it came there wasn't a big change. The biggest changes I see has always been updates in the ui's. Sense, blur etc. I could be wrong, but I think everyone will be disappointed and looking for more changes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using HowardForums

Device(s)
    env 3
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    i guess since you didnt notice any bugs in the rom you tried it must have been just my phone . thats a relief to know that as soon as ICS hits we can all enjoy a bug free experience from that point on in the android community .

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSxit View Post
    Jelly Bean is 4.1 or 5.0? I'm assuming 4.1, right?
    Yes. Probably...
    There is speculation that 5.0 could be coming sooner rather than later. But it seems like too much too quick to me.

http://m.computerworld.com/s/article...e_exec_implies

The correlation between names and numbers is the question. If 5.0 comes in Q3, will there be a 4.1 or even 4.2 before that? If so, will 4.1 be JB? Then would 5.0 wind up as Key Lime Pie? I don't know of any authoritative source to supply those answers.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 03-05-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    Moto X Developer
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Any update on this?

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Re: ICS Ice Cream Sandwich Motorola release schedule- has anybody seen this?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Andro...-LT30i_id36805

http://ewallstreeter.com/motorola-pr...xx-again-7160/

http://www.fonearena.com/blog/56517/...-schedule.html

Nothing on 4.2 JB. But the race is on again, nonetheless. Will Moto get JB to the [EDIT: og ] RAZRs before KLP 5.0 is officially announced?
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 12-02-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Device(s)
    Maxx VE, E815, Razr V9m, Moto Driod, Moto Droid X, Droid Bionic, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid Razr Maxx HD
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Software update page for Droid Razr HD and Maxx HD says Soon. I believe that is starting to roll out next week

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Re: ICS Ice Cream Sandwich Motorola release schedule- has anybody seen this?

True. But the querier has a Bionic and a Maxx og, per his profile.