Thread: Partner coverage question and other concern

Feedback Score

Partner coverage question and other concern

Our satellite internet contract has ended and I began searching online for an alternative internet provider. I live in a very rural area so our options are limited. I checked T-Mobile's coverage map and noticed my area is covered by their partner coverage (gray area). Out of curiosity I went over to a few other coverage maps on different providers and it seems like the partner could be Verizon given they are the only ones (that I know of) that offers 4G coverage in my area or any kind of data service for that matter. I want to go with T-Mobile because of the cheaper monthly price and no overage charges. If T-Mobile does sell service through Verizon's network then I assume my connection would be fine. However, I want some opinions on this. I don't know if it is Verizon that they are servicing some areas through. I also don't know how well the connection will be. I don't want to sign a contract for a service that takes 5 minutes to load Google.com. Should I worry about this or will my connection be fine?

I also wanted to ask if there would be a way to connect our router to the connection. We have 3 laptops here that are constantly used and will need to be connected to the internet. If I can't use our router for this, then is there any way to have all laptops in the house connected to the T-Mobile data plan?

I would ask all of this to T-Mobile directly but I could not find a place on their website that allows non customers to e-mail them.

Phones
    White Galaxy S5 & White iPhone 6
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Verizon is not a 4G partner, for the sole reason that they are LTE and T-Mobile is HSPA
    Google+ - Add me!
    Happy T-Mobile Customer since '09
    Content AT&T Customer since '12
    Miserable Sprint Customer since '14
    T-Mobile 2G to 4G cities/highways

Feedback Score
    why don't you take it for speed test drive?
    you have 14 days to decide if you want to
    keep service with no cancellation penalties.

from 12/30/2011 Terms and Conditions
    "4. * Cancellation and Returns. Service Cancellation: You can cancel a new line of Service without paying an Early Termination Fee if you cancel WITHIN 14 DAYS of activating a new line of Service (30 days in California; other states may differ - ask your sales representative) ("Cancellation Period"). You remain responsible for all Charges incurred through the date of cancellation. To cancel Service during the Cancellation Period, you may be required to go to the place where you activated Service and return any T-Mobile Device you acquired at the time of activation. You must return your T-Mobile Device in its package with all original contents, undamaged and in good working condition with no material alterations to the Device's hardware or software. If you do not return your T-Mobile Device or if you return your T-Mobile Device in a damaged, altered or destroyed condition, we may take one or more of the following actions: (a) prevent your T-Mobile Device from working on any network; (b) charge you the Early Termination Fee; (c) elect not to process your Service cancellation; or (d) charge you the suggested retail price or the cost to repair a T-Mobile Device, (which may be greater than the price you paid), plus any shipping and handling charges. Device Refunds and Restocking Fees: For T-Mobile Device and accessory returns and exchanges, see the applicable return policy, which is available at your place of purchase. Some T-Mobile Devices and accessories may not be refunded or exchanged, and you may be required to pay a restocking fee."

Feedback Score
    I hate reading fine print. I just read this under the T-Mobile coverage map...

"Roaming: Roaming refers to usage while on a roaming partner′s network within coverage area; not available for Mobile Broadband plans."

So basically, I can't order a data plan if I am in the Partner coverage right? I've had companies try to sell me their data services over the phone before despite the fact my area wasn't in their coverage range and they knew it wasn't. I don't know if I would get signal if I ordered a plan from them. I'd hate to submit an order, get the stuff and 5 minutes later realize there is no signal here and then have to mail all the stuff back.

I'm not sure what my options are here. As far as I know, my only internet options in my area are dial up (which I had for almost 10 years and can't go back to) and satellite which we have had for 2 years and have dropped over $1,700 and have finally gotten out of the contract. Our satellite provider actually called me last week and offered to take $10 off my bill if I agreed to extend my contract another year. I told them I would have to think about it because we already split the bill 3 ways to pay for it. I may end up having to take their offer though because I can't seem to find a home internet alternative to what we have.

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Limit 100Mb max data a month in partner coverage for their 5Gb plan. And if you roam too much, they usually disconnect you for 2 years. (They did that to my friend)
    Chances are they won't even sign you up since your address will be shown as roaming. (t-mobile.com does check)

Phone
    Motorola StarTAC, 1st gen iPhone 16GB, Moto G
    Carrier
    Page Plus & KTC PACE Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Have you looked at Cricket and Clearwire yet; they still offer "unlimited" data? They may cover your area. Also, look for a WISP in that market. Also consult this http://www.broadbandmap.gov/ for the possibility of uncovering a provider you may not have thought of before.

If T-mobile says your in partner coverage, look elsewhere. Try to find out who that partner is; it's probably AT&T, but it may be a local/regional GSM carrier instead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    Have you looked at Cricket and Clearwire yet; they still offer "unlimited" data? They may cover your area. Also, look for a WISP in that market. Also consult this http://www.broadbandmap.gov/ for the possibility of uncovering a provider you may not have thought of before.

If T-mobile says your in partner coverage, look elsewhere. Try to find out who that partner is; it's probably AT&T, but it may be a local/regional GSM carrier instead.
    I had typed out a more detailed reply but when I hit the reply button after typing it all out it took me to a "add reply" page and all of my text was gone. I guess there is something wrong with the quick reply feature here or maybe its something on my end. Who knows...

Anyway, to sum up what I had typed out before the forum error:

Checked cricket and clearwire.. no service.
    Checked the link you provided which showed that Verizon and AT&T service my area with wireless internet which they do but the data caps and overage fees are unfair. (I had typed out a paragraph of how I felt about overage fees, data caps and how those who incur these rules have a selfish, unfair and thoughtless mentality on how they think the internet should be and how they feel they can control the internet).

To sum up: AT&T and Verizon service my area but only with wireless data plans. However, the caps are too strict and the overage fees are unfair. I cannot risk a random update from one of the laptops or my own computer giving me an insanely high bill. Other than those 2 companies, I will continue to search for this month and see if I can find any alternative to my current satellite ISP before I accept their $10/off per month if I agree to extend my contract for another year. That will make my bill $61.45 per month which is still expensive for basic home internet. I hope I can find something. But the good thing with our satellite ISP is even if we go over their daily data cap the speed is still acceptable and they do not charge overage fees.

Thank you everyone for the information you have provided me so far. It has been very helpful.

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by logicasey View Post
    Our satellite internet contract has ended and I began searching online for an alternative internet provider. I live in a very rural area so our options are limited.
    My niece lives in rural Oklahoma and has service from a local wireless ISP. There are a lot of these mom & pop outfits that provide wireless Internet service in rural areas.
    Donald Newcomb

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Yes, dslreports.com has a search tool for local providers. (wisp, DSL, all kinds) check over there too.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    My niece lives in rural Oklahoma and has service from a local wireless ISP. There are a lot of these mom & pop outfits that provide wireless Internet service in rural areas.
    Yea. That is what I will be looking for. My local phone and cable companies told me don't hold my breath for DSL or cable internet to come to my area any time soon.

Phones
    Lg Optimus Q (Net10)
    Kyocera Marbl
    Kyocera Xtc
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Help

Hey. You could put a microcell to your internet so you have calling reception in your home for your phones. But I would suggest you getting a wifi box for your laptops. Hope this helps.