Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best aws 1700/2100 phones??

Phone
    Samsung Vibrant
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score

Best aws 1700/2100 phones??

I was wondering if anyone knows the best aws 1700/2100 phones on the market atm or in the coming months. I understand mobi is limited in handsets. I have a vibrant that I bought off Craigslist when I started with mobi over a year ago. Any suggestions in a good upgrade??

Sent from my SGH-T959 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    While I can't advise you on particular phones, I'll ask you what I'm sure others will ask before being able to advise you.

What do you mean by "the best"? What are you looking for in a phone? What do you need/want it to be able to do?

Phones
    Nexus S
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score
    Galaxy Nexus is pentaband and will work on any carrier, that is your best bet. Telus SGS2X and HTC Amaze are also pentaband but they aren't as good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by arikah View Post
    Galaxy Nexus is pentaband and will work on any carrier, that is your best bet. Telus SGS2X and HTC Amaze are quadband but they aren't as good.
    Fixed for you

Edit: to add, OP my vote for best as of today would be the galaxy nexus, updates sooner than most androids, Pentaband for travel and if things go sour can be used on the big 3 for 3G as well. It's also a pretty snappy phone and the screen resolution will leave you in a state of wanting nothing to do with anything less after you use it.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE
    Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Top 3 like mentioned before would be Galaxy Nexus, SGS2X (or Rogers SGS2 LTE by flashing a Telus radio) and HTC Amaze. The SGS2X doesn't have ICS yet but performance wise it has a slight edge over the Nexus and Amaze. The HTC Amaze has the best camera out of all three though, if you prefer camera over slight performance increase. When ICS drops for SGS2X and Amaze, all three will pretty much be on par.

I tried an alpha version of ICS for the SGS2X/SGS2LTE and it has no lag whatsoever, which means it fixes the 2D graphix issue that causes slight lag in Gingerbread when switching screens.

Phone
    Samsung Vibrant
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I was doing some research and well today I lost my vibrant by forgetting it in a tim hortons washroom! Stupid me.. So I went to mobilicity and ordered the HTC Amaze 4G, here's why. Dual-core 1.5ghz processor 1GB ram with the Adreno 220 GPU. I figure this will be pretty nice on ICS when it drops in April.. If not I can probably work on a custom rom. Also the 8MP Camera blows away the Galaxy Nexus and the 2mp front facing camera is better then the Nexus 1.5mp front facing cam. I hope it was the right choice considering the price was 150$ cheaper as well with the current price of $449.

Thanks again for your replies..

Feedback Score
    tmo galaxy s2 hands down..
    or wait a while for lg optimus 4x/huawei ascend d quad or even the galaxy s3(if it comes out with the aws band)

Feedback Score
    From what I can see .... The Galaxy S2 or the Galaxy Nexus...

I almost bought a GS2 when I was in the US of A @ T-Mobile last weekend...+ extended life batteries are around for it...

Mobilicity frees Canadian cellular smartphone users - or at least - till one of the big 3 gobbles them up!

Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    How much was the GS2 going for?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE
    Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by selfy View Post

Paid $600 for mine and T-Mobile has it for $600 but you can probably find one on kijiji for ~$450 now

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by selfy View Post

$600 usd + tax ... No contract price of course...

Mobilicity frees Canadian cellular smartphone users - or at least - till one of the big 3 gobbles them up!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by linuzo View Post
    I was doing some research and well today I lost my vibrant by forgetting it in a tim hortons washroom! Stupid me.. So I went to mobilicity and ordered the HTC Amaze 4G, here's why. Dual-core 1.5ghz processor 1GB ram with the Adreno 220 GPU. I figure this will be pretty nice on ICS when it drops in April.. If not I can probably work on a custom rom. Also the 8MP Camera blows away the Galaxy Nexus and the 2mp front facing camera is better then the Nexus 1.5mp front facing cam. I hope it was the right choice considering the price was 150$ cheaper as well with the current price of $449.

Thanks again for your replies..
    I understand that the GN only has a 5MP camera vs the Amaze's 8MP... but is it really THAT much better? I'm a photographer, and I can tell you that some cameras with lower MP have better image qualities than others with higher MP. I, myself have the HTC Sensation (unlocked T-Mo phone), which is a lot like the Amaze, but instead of the 1.5ghz, it's 1.2ghz... and yes, also has the 8MP camera... (Amaze has a 2MP front face camera vs Sensation crappy one). But I don't particularly find the 8MP THAT much better than my Nexus ONE's 5MP camera tho.

Phones
    Nexus S
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score
    Then you of all people should know that a phone could have 40 gigapixels, if it has a crappy sensor it doesn't matter! The GN uses an f/2.6 lens I think vs the iphone 4s f/2.2, not sure what other cameras are.

Honestly though, the GN's camera isn't actually that bad. The pictures it takes are slightly worse than ones that come from an iphone 4s but I have a hard time distinguishing between a picture taken from a GS2 and a GN. It has some difficulty in dark shots (like all phone cams...) but actually takes very decent low-light video (use mine as a dashcam and did some night driving).

Feedback Score
    I guess it's all relative, since I have thousand of dollars invested in camera gear, I really don't use the camera on smartphones much... maybe when I see someone at Walmart that's worth posting on Facebook or something lol. But for me, that screen of the Galaxy Nexus is simply stunning. I'm actually really tempted to pick up a GN and just sell my Sensation... the ONLY downside is... I Swype a lot, I don't have big hands, so I already know Swyping will be tough. It took me awhile to get used the bigger HTC Sensation coming from the Nexus ONE.

Phones
    GNex, Galaxy S, Nokia 5230 and babysitting a MC950D & an iphone4 16gig -- That thing has got to go!
    Nexus One; TyTn; BJII; 6620; T610; M55UnLkd;
    M55UnLkd; 3390; 6190; 7190; 8290UnLkd; T720; Moto V60gUnLkd; R520 The last great Ericsson!
    Carrier
    Wind & Fido-Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I would say that the GN is probably among the best right now. The Amaze has horrible battery life. Worse than the GN. Also, I would not have gotten it because (to me) I did not like how it held in the hand and the location of the speaker piece.
    FIDO Power User:
    Unlimited Data Line Only

Ex-Wind, Now Mobilicity Data & Phone

Surfing the Mobile net with wild abandon.

From Toronto? Want to meet new friends? Then come out, don't be shy! it is not spam I run the group myself, now with 1550+ people! Check here!
    Visit my blog!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast