Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spam Text Messages After Switching To Straight Talk

Feedback Score

Spam Text Messages After Switching To Straight Talk

Day before yesterday I activated a new Android smartphone on Straight Talk using the BYOD plan with an AT&T sim card and ported my number from T-Mobile. Before this new smartphone I had used my mobile number on a web-enabled but non-'smart' feature phone with T-Mobile for years without ever getting a spam text message. (I'm very careful about where I give out my mobile number)

Well this morning I got my first spam text message, a pitch for 'simplecasheasy.com'. I think it is very unlikely that getting my first spam text about 36 hours after the switch to Straight Talk and Android was coincidental when I hadn't recieved one before in the many years with this same mobile number.

What do you guys think might be behind the sudden appearence of spam text? Is it that I now have an Android phone, and somehow websites might use it's extra capabilities to steal my number? (I am going to normal sites- news/sports/redbox etc. and the same ones that I did with my previous feature phone. Could have using a public wifi site at a fast food place have done something? Did a spammer somehow get my number from StraightTalk? I did not click the box to allow Straight Talk to send messages on behalf of partners.

Also, did anyone else on Straight Talk get the same spam text promoting simplecasheasy? Any advice on what I can do to protect myself from my number getting out in the future? Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    I've been using Android for more than a year now and I had not received a single spam message... until a couple of days after I switched to Straight Talk. I haven't made a big deal out of it, because it's only been two messages so far but yes, worth noting I was not being spammed until I switched to Straight Talk.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    The only spam I receive is from straight talk asking me to sign up online (already done).

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    So far I havent been spammed by anyone other than straight talk and their annoying texts trying to get you to buy more service cards...

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    My mom has an Android on ST, and she hasn't mentioned any spam yet.
    HP Envy 14
    iPhone 5 16GB

Feedback Score
    Come to think of it, I've been getting 2 or 3 spam texts a month. I previously had my number with Sprint for ten years and hadn't had that problem then.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bpaulson View Post
    So far I havent been spammed by anyone other than straight talk and their annoying texts trying to get you to buy more service cards...
    Same here.

Feedback Score
    I get them and robo calls. I ignore the text since I don't pay per text, and when a robo call comes in I add it to my address book as a BS call and to ignore it. That way if they call back I just kill the call without answering.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidPhoneFan View Post
    I get them and robo calls. I ignore the text since I don't pay per text, and when a robo call comes in I add it to my address book as a BS call and to ignore it. That way if they call back I just kill the call without answering.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk
    You might have already done this, but is your number registered with the Donotcall registry.
    Spam messages are interesting, Have been on St for 2 years, never had one. sim swap.
    Is it only the BYOD sim card users who are seeing this? I cant imagine St being happy delivering for spam texts, since they will probably go against their bulk quota, unless they are being paid for it(which would be underhanded even for Tracfone).
    I dont think it is an Android issue, likely to be a carrier issue or coincidence.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Ive noticed some apps in the past would send spam messages, even spam notifications. Gotta read those app permissions carefully. Ive never had a spam text besides the normal auto refill and stuff from St.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using HowardForums

Phone
    Galaxy S3, iPhone 4S/4
    Carriers
    Skype/Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have received one spam text so far, saying I won a $1000 Walmart gift card. It was two days ago...two or three days after switching to Straight Talk. Also, the very day after switching, I received a phone call from Jamaica, but didn't answer. Googling the number revealed it was a scammer telling people they won Publisher's Clearing House or some such thing. Some people reported the caller harassing them with name calling, ect.

So far that has been it. Maybe ST's database has been compromised and they don't want to tell anyone? Seems like quite a coincidence to me!

Feedback Score
    I have not tried using one, but there are apps that claim they help reduce spam. Search for one at https://market.android.com
    Here is one https://market.android.com/details?i...e=related_apps

I read an article saying most of the spam comes from email texts to your phone, not texts from other phones. If you can block this, it would get rid of spam.

My Verizon phone would get spam sms.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the feedback and suggestions everyone. So far I haven't recieved any more spam texts since that first one a couple of days after porting my # to ST. Hopefully it will continue to not be much of a problem.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I think its only an issue if you take a ST number and happen to get one that someone previously had and signed up for crap.
    Thats the primary reason I ported a known clean number I held for more than a year over to ST.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I recently installed an app, forget what it was for. It actually hijacked (changed) my "home page" to some strange search engine, just like trojans do to the desktop browser. It also put some weird icon on my phone's home page. I too received two weird text messages and I just ignored them, thinking someone made a mistake. Other than that and before that app I only got the Straight Talk offers of buying refills and setting up auto pay.

I would really look into what apps you might have installed, it seems there are some that might act maliciously, even directly from Google Play...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast