Thread: Lots of Texting problems - any experts able to help? CS was zero help.

Feedback Score

Thumbs down Lots of Texting problems - any experts able to help? CS was zero help.

I am posting this in both the Koodo and Telus forums as they probably use the same backend for texting.

I have unlimited texting and there are a lot of problems that seem to be getting worse.

1: Three different people from Rogers, Bell, Telus try sending me messages and said they don't send sometimes and their phone indicates it wasn't sent to me.
    Tech Support said it is them, and not Telus/Koodo.

2: I am getting duplicate messages from people on Telus, Bell and Rogers.
    Tech Support said it is them, and not Telus/Koodo.

3: When I send messages, sometimes they don't arrive, or they take a long time, such as a day.
    Tech Support said it might be a problem with Koodo, my SIM card, or my phone. (BB 9900)

4: When I send text messages, people are always getting duplicates.
    Tech Support said it might be Koodo/Telus or my SIM card or my phone.

That was the most frustrating 1/2 hour I spent with them, ever. Nothing got solved, no explanation, and of course fingers were pointed every which direction and I was in the end told to have my friends contact Rogers, Bell, and Telus because it seems to be their problem, take my phone in for warranty work or get a new SIM card. Huh???

If anyone can shed light on the above problems, I would welcome it. It is getting to the point where I have little faith left in SMS messaging with Telus/Koodo and for all the ones I am told people don't get, or I don't get, I wonder how many more times this happens when people don't say a thing.

Thanks!

Carriers
    Koodo Mobile
    3 Austria
    Feedback Score
    1. sounds like a problem on the sending end. 2. could be either a problem on the sending side or with your phone - it seems that the sending SMSC does not learn that the message has been delivered the first time around and thus sends it again.

3. could be any of the given reasons, as well as 4.

May I suggest you take a different phone (no blackberry) and run some tests. Likewise, take someone else's Koodo SIM Card (from someone who does not have thes etexting issues) and try it in your Blackberry. With such a cross-test you might be able to narrow the problem down.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3/SW USB AC319U aircard+cradlepoint router
    -> Samsung A540 -> Moto Razr V3C -> BB 7130e -> BB 8830 -> BB 9630 -> Galaxy S3
    Sony CM-B1207 Clearnet PCS -> Sanyo 4000 -> Nokia 6188 ->
    Carriers
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 "Share 30 Faves"
    Feedback Score
    When possible do not use SMS. It's unreliable. (Should not be as unreliable as you describe but still..) there are no guarantees that an SMS message will arrive, when it will arrive, or if it will be resent multiple times if the system does not think that the first attempt got through.

If you use an alternative like BBM on blackberry, imessage on IOS, or whatsapp for mixed use between smartphones it will have the ability to verify delivery of the message in those types of systems.
    SMS is nice because it's pretty much universal and it's interface will be integrated with the core phone features but it's reliability sucks.
    Clearnet Digital PCS

We think everyone should be able to afford a wireless phone. That's why we were the first wireless company in North America to offer pay-by-the-second airtime, and why we don't charge an activation fee. NO scary contract to sign. Immediate national coverage. And a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Yes, it's finally time to get a wireless phone.
    f u t u r e . f r i e n d l y™

Best viewed with Netscape 3.0 at 800 x 600 resolution.

Carriers
    Telus
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My girlfriend is having the same problem at her parents house. Her phone won't connect to data services and won't receive messages. Sometimes her sent messages which say they have sent get to me. Her moms iPhone is the same. She's tried her LG Shine Plus and her new iPhone 4S. My Bold gets -70 dBm to -89 dBm and about 2-3 bars for her.

Carriers
    Telus
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Que_Ball View Post
    When possible do not use SMS. It's unreliable. (Should not be as unreliable as you describe but still..) there are no guarantees that an SMS message will arrive, when it will arrive, or if it will be resent multiple times if the system does not think that the first attempt got through.

If you use an alternative like BBM on blackberry, imessage on IOS, or whatsapp for mixed use between smartphones it will have the ability to verify delivery of the message in those types of systems.
    SMS is nice because it's pretty much universal and it's interface will be integrated with the core phone features but it's reliability sucks.
    How much on average would you say Whatapp uses for data?

Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    If your SMS are slower than 15 minutes, you can call CS and troubleshoot it. Jump through all their hoops and keep escalating it though.
    Managed to get Mobilicity to act and improve on 4 items.

Phones
    Bold 9900
    HTC Snap
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Poulson View Post
    How much on average would you say Whatapp uses for data?
    whatsapp uses very little data on a blackberry. I used it for like 3 months and only had around 500kb used

Carriers
    Telus
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mech9t5 View Post
    whatsapp uses very little data on a blackberry. I used it for like 3 months and only had around 500kb used
    What about androids? I know it would be more..