Thread: Good prepaid plan for tethering?

Feedback Score

Question Good prepaid plan for tethering?

Hey there,

I've used Boost iDEN, for a while and only used the handset for wireless web, at the whopping 14.4Kb/s.

It was okay when it worked but around SEP 2012, the bottom began to drop out.
    The web quit on my BlackBerry iDEN 7520 and customer support refused to diagnose the account, since it was not a Boost branded handset.

I stuck the SIM back in my i290 and thought it would be as usual.
    Yeah, maybe not so much.

I have to do a battery pull or Master (radio) Reset, several times a day and those don't always work.

Ideally I'd like to find a world phone, with CDMA and GSM, that I can put a true open source, linux based platform on. It would be nice if the smartphone were also a PDA, like the old PALM devices.

Maybe I have a chicken-egg question and my ideal handset could use virtually any service, save the old iDEN.

If I migrate to Boost CDMA, I lose the 35 cents per day "wireless web"/data and it's 50 cents, along with 20 cents per voice minute. When last I checked, you could use an Android phone on Boost but I think the charge was $2 per day, just to have an Android phone on the service.

Obviously if I have been using a service 1/4 the speed of dial-up, I'm doing it for a reason. $$$$ I could deal with 35 cents per day. or about $11 per month. Fifty cents per day or about $15/month is not bad but another $2 per day would kill me.

It seems it would have to SEEM to be a Boost branded phone or customer service would hurl over another IMEI/ESN. I know it is possible to put a Sprint branded phone on Boost and MAYBE tether but what happens if there is a problem? I had a problem with my BoostBerry and C.S. refused to do anything, even 'though it was probably due to deconstrucing of the iDEN network.

I have tried to search but I'm not really online much and taking my i290 outside in the cold to reboot/reset, in my underwear, is not my idea of a good time.

Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    So RamblinCowboy,

What have you determined over the last month? I'm interested in some of the same questions you asked, don't have any answers, and was hoping there'd be some here. But what have you found?

Feedback Score

New York

I'm not really sure how to connect with people who have the right answers on this forum.

Last time, I found a couple posters who lived under a bridge but it seemed that the biggest billy goat gruff came along behind me. Afterwards, I saw the whole site down for days, even though a default page for the server came up and "down for me" indicated that the site was up. I don't want to put the actual word, so as not to attract any but T***l dolls sometimes come on pencil tops.

I posted in another, old, thread: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...1#post14777397

I bought an HTC Touch Pro 2 / II / Two but it seems like it's little more than a paperweight to me.

Feedback Score
    Have you looked into Ting (Tucows)?

Feedback Score
    Okay tmodlou, I just checked on Ting. They claim they'll save me $22/mo over my Verizon service. That's cool. Missing in action, however, is Ting addressing if, like Verizon, they cripple the GPS ability of phones so they can sell you their own proprietary GPS service, VZ Navigator, for an extra $30/month. Cute corporate policy.

Thanks, though, for the tip, I will check Ting out further. Maybe it's just the Ting. But you know, companies including Straight Talk (Walmart) are now offering a NO CONTRACT monthly rate giving you UN-limited minutes + UN-limited text messages for $50/month, and did I say NO CONTRACT. Wow.