Thread: AT&T Z990 Avail Prepaid Android GoPhone??

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T Z990 Avail Prepaid Android GoPhone??

Thinking of getting this phone, AT&T Z990 Avail Prepaid Android GoPhone. Anyone here have one or know anything about it? My Flight has died & I'm out of a phone. I would like to get something asap. I just came out from under a contract & don't really want to go under another.
    Thank you.

Carrier
    Air Voice
    Feedback Score
    I've had one for several months now and am very happy with it. It's capable of a lot more than I'll ever use. The only disappointment I have with it is the battery life but I understand any phone with android is going to have abysmal battery life. I usually have to charge it every night. If the gophone plans are appealing to you then you should be very pleased with this phone.
    I bought it at an AT&T store and they were more than happy to activate it for me.
    Last edited by desertdude; 03-05-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: add info

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That's great, you've helped me make up my mind, but I can't find out if it's a smartphone, which I don't want.
    Well, if it's a Smartphone, it would work as long as I don't have to get a data plan.

Carrier
    Air Voice
    Feedback Score
    The Avail IS a smart phone but you're right.....you DO NOT have to get a data plan with gophone. I keep a few megs of data in reserve just in case I'm not near a wifi hot spot. But I keep the data turned off so none of the apps can use it unless I want them to. I use wifi almost exclusively.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Unlike postpaid customers, Go Phone customers can get a smartphone without a data plan. If you don't have a data plan, mobile data won't work at all (no pay-per-use data), so you'll have to use Wi-Fi for all internet-driven content on your phone.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by desertdude View Post
    I keep a few megs of data in reserve just in case I'm not near a wifi hot spot. But I keep the data turned off so none of the apps can use it unless I want them to. I use wifi almost exclusively.
    How do you get just a few megs of data & keep them in reserve? Sorry for all the questions but a gophone is new to me. Is $129.00 a good price for this phone?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CeluGeek View Post
    Unlike postpaid customers, Go Phone customers can get a smartphone without a data plan. If you don't have a data plan, mobile data won't work at all (no pay-per-use data), so you'll have to use Wi-Fi for all internet-driven content on your phone.
    Yes, I knew you can't use data w/o a data plan.

Carrier
    Air Voice
    Feedback Score
    Sorry if I confused you Patricia. I add a 10 meg data package each month for $5 just in case I need it. You certainly don't have to do that. If I didn't add a small data package each month the data would expire in 30 days and I'd lose it. I turn on the data every once in a while just to use some of it up so it doesn't build up to the AT&T limit which has been determined to be 1.5 gig per this forum. You don't HAVE to do that.....it's just my little quirk. I paid $129 for mine several months ago so the price hasn't changed. I think I saw it in Walmart for $124 but not sure.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thank you. You have been alot of help & I appreciate it very much. Do you mind my asking which plan you have?

Carrier
    Air Voice
    Feedback Score
    No problem.....I chose the 10 cent a min program. I don't talk very much on the phone per month or use text all that much so the 10 cent program was the best for me. I couldn't justify paying a monthly charge (either $50 or $25) for something I wouldn't be using that much. I bought the $100 refill package that's good for a year and it will probably take me that long to use it up.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You've been alot of help & I appreciate it. I bought one tonight when we went out for dinner. I love the look & feel of it, now if I can just figure out how to use it. The manual isn't alot of help, or for me it's not.
    Again, thank you for your help.
    Patricia

Feedback Score

z990 at Fry's for 99.99

129 isn't good. It's $100 at Fry's. They list it as a Samsung in their ad, but it's not.