Thread: "A secure connection could not be established" on just 1 site, on Bell data network

Phones
    iPhone 3g
    Iphone 3g
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score

"A secure connection could not be established" on just 1 site, on Bell data network

I have a Samsung Galaxy SII, with Bell.

In general, I can access the internet on my phone, and the browser works fine.

But there's a particular site - https://workflowy.com - that I cannot connect to. When I try to connect to this site, I get the error message: "Data connectivity problem - A secure connection could not be established". (Note that I only get this error once I am logged in, not at the initial login page...)

I can't figure out what's causing this. Here are some facts and things I've learned in tests:

- The problem only occurs if I am connected over the data network. If I am connected via WiFi, I can connect fine to this site.

- The problem occurs with the default browser, and also with the Dolphin browser (albeit, of course, with a slightly different message in Dolphin).

- I can connect to other sites fine, including, it seems, other https sites.

- I access the site regularly from my desktop and laptop, and have no problems with it.

- I tried tethering my laptop to the data connection on my phone. Using this setup: I can connect to the site fine, using firefox, chrome, and explorer.

- The phone is rooted, using instructions from here

- Turning the phone off and on does not seem to help, nor does clearing the cache in the browser.

- While the problem is fairly consistent and replicatable - I think there may have been a couple of times I was able to access the site, from my phone, using the data network.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Things I could try? Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated.

(I hope is is okay to post to this forum. It's hard to know whether this problem is just specific to the phone itself or to the Bell data network. The fact that the problem only occurs when the phone is on the data network made me think it might be a Bell-related problem....)

Feedback Score
    I decided to give it a whirl, and this site works fine on my blackberry 9700 on HSPA network (using default browser, as well as Opera mobile browser which uses some kind of external proxy service)

Was able to create an account, and then I logged out, and logged back in with no problems...maybe it is a specific problem with android devices on the data network? I would suggest contacting the site admin to see if they can help troubleshoot

Phones
    iPhone 3g
    Iphone 3g
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by strutswell View Post
    I decided to give it a whirl, and this site works fine on my blackberry 9700 on HSPA network (using default browser, as well as Opera mobile browser which uses some kind of external proxy service)

Was able to create an account, and then I logged out, and logged back in with no problems...maybe it is a specific problem with android devices on the data network? I would suggest contacting the site admin to see if they can help troubleshoot
    Thanks for looking into it! Yeah, it's weird - only a problem under a very specific combination of circumstances-

1) using the Android browser
    2) *and* the bell data connection,
    3) only on that specific site.

It seems like if I pick any 2 of those 3, it works fine.

As a possibly okay workaround - I tried installing firefox on my phone. That seems to connect fine to the site, at least thus far, while the default browser on my phone, and Doplhin, do not... I guess I can just start using Firefox, though I'm still sort of mystified.

Phone
    Current: SE Naite (Fido), iPhone 4 (Koodo)
    Carrier
    Koodo and Fido
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    try removing the bell wireless proxy in the APN

it looks something like web.wireless.bell.ca
    Hi.