Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Droid4 vs Razr Maxx

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Some of it yes. At my house its all on my wireless network. But surfing at work was on 4g. I will have a better gauge here in the next few days as I'm off and will be out and about. But so far, I think the battery has been great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using HowardForums
    What Is A Veteran?
    A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

Feedback Thread
    http://howardforums.com/showthread.p...7#post11490557

Device(s)
    LG enV Touch (Present)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless (Mar06-Present)
    Feedback Score

Can't decide!

I too am mulling the decision between the D4 and the Maxx.
    I was wondering if things other than battery and screen are worth discussing; such as power, volume, port layout. I understand the importance of the former two, but those have been discussed incessantly to the point where I find it unhelpful. I have gone to the store to play with both devices. Here's my personal situation:

I would really prefer a QWERTY because there's almost no learning curve phone to phone, but I'm well aware that battery life is a premium, especially on 4G devices. A dead phone is a temporary brick.
    Keyboard: QWERTY is king. I'll go as far as to say I'm sure everyone would want one if it didn't add to thickness and weight of a phone. But tons of people have and can make the jump to virtual. It slowly adapts to the user, right?
    Screen: The Droid 4's ghosting on text is really bothersome, but it handles all brightness levels really well. The annoying fade-in effect (of 'MotoBlur' ? [software]) seemed to work correctly. PPI is better since the screen is smaller. The Maxx's screen looked and performed much better. Only negatives were a very noticeable yellowish tint unless it was at 90-100% brightness and the fade-in effect seemed broken (faded in like normal and then dimmed a bit). The yellowish tint should be noticeable by anyone, even if they don't have another phone on the side to compare. [Reminds me of a teacher putting up a transparency on a projector and the white is dulled.]
    Odds and ends (I'm mostly getting picky here, but I think it's productive talk): I prefer the layout of the D4 with the power button on top, volume rocker on the right, and connector ports on the left side (bottom would've been okay too). I detest the top placement of the three connectors on the top of the Razrs. The power button is also a little tiny for it's constant usage. As for SIM and microSD placement, I prefer them underneath the (clunky) back cover of the D4 since they'll hardly need to be tampered with. The IMEI sticker on the SIM/microSD flap of the Razrs hardly seems safe (though is there any adverse effect?). Lastly, I've read sporadic reviews about people having reception problems with the Razrs whereas they've been all solid for the D4. (Secondhand...thirdhand info though, clearly)

All-in-all, I still need some swaying and I'm very conflicted haha.
    D4 has always been my number 1, but the Maxx's battery keeps pulling me away.
    D4 Biggest pro is QWERTY keyboard (obvious). D4 Biggest con is ghosting text (super annoying).
    Maxx biggest pro battery (Peace of mind for trips, forgetting to charge, etc.). Maxx biggest con (yellowish tint, almost equally as annoying as ghosting text because who really run at high brightness most of the time?)
    Last edited by ShArKs58; 03-21-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I honestly havent noticed the yellow tint. Are you sure that wasnt just because that was a demo phone? I used to be a querty keyboard guy but I quickly realized, its pretty easy to get used to the virtual, especially when you turn the phone sideways.

As I posted above, the battery life on the Maxx is great. If you are a heavy user, that alone should see you on the Maxx considering the D4 does not have a removable battery. I do take issue with the small power button. With a protective case on, pressing the button is a little more difficult than it should be. Again, for me not a deal breaker. The external speaker on the Maxx is loud and clear. I play pandora on mine quite often. I prefer the charging port being on top, while at work if my phone is charging, I can hold the phone like normal while texting.

Another thing I'm trying to get used to is the menu/home/back/search buttons being apart of the touch screen. I consistently swipe my finger over the top of one of those while surfing the net activating the button. Getting better about it, but I was used to those actually being hard buttons.

As far as performance goes, I believe the phones are practically the same.

Device(s)
    LG enV Touch (Present)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slimrob View Post
    I honestly havent noticed the yellow tint. Are you sure that wasnt just because that was a demo phone
    May I ask what brightness your screen is set to? It was on all the Razrs and the lone Razr Maxx in store unless I turned the brightness really high.
    I did just find out about this app to fix the tinting problem: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....netmanslab.sa . Might be enough to convince me to get the Maxx despite, in regards to battery life, considering myself to be a moderate user at best (definitely not a light user and of course occasional times of heavy/moderate usage on roadtrips or something).

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if what you are referring to is the auto dim setting. It does have an "odd" hue to it. It just doesnt bother me that much. But when I'm outside or in bright light, the screen looks fine.

It sounds to me like your biggest hurdle is the keyboard. I say try the Maxx for a week and if you cant get past the virtual keyboard then you have your answer. I personally dont think there is anything else that would make that big of a deal. Keyboard and battery are the two major differences.

Device(s)
    LG enV Touch (Present)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    No, not the auto dim setting; the actual screen tint. Screen runs dimmer indoors and high to full brightness outdoors, that's why you don't/shouldn't notice it outside in bright light. Like I said though, I discovered that it should be fixable with that app from the Market. The Droid 4 screen on the other hand is definitely not fixable by software and is just too poor for me to accept as a compromise.

By virtue of that, I think I've decided on the Razr Maxx because battery life is such a premium on Android phones and especially 4G LTE devices. It'll be nice to not be required to charge the phone nightly or be forced to use my phone conservatively when I'm outside my day-to-day routine. I am compromising on button/port layout and physical qwerty because I was really stuck and would never make a decision if I weighed out all the pros and cons.

I'd still like to be convinced about reasons to get the Droid 4, like being able to use the 'OK' hard key as the shutter button. (Did everyone know that ?) Maxx hasn't taken the cake outright yet!

Device(s)
    Iphone 6 plus 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    A few years back I was a "never buy a phone without keyboard guy" but I have gone through the Droid X and the Samsung charge and having swype on both of them made a huge difference.....I'm not sure I could go back to a physical keyboard.....I do a lot of texting and emails so typing is a big priority......I'm looking at a NE2 in less than 30 days and am strongly looking at the maxxx since battery life is the most important .....my charge dies by dinner time everynight....wondering if anything else is going to drop in the next 30 days?
    VZW....where our motto is...we are always last on software updates!

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HPdrifter View Post
    A few years back I was a "never buy a phone without keyboard guy" but I have gone through the Droid X and the Samsung charge and having swype on both of them made a huge difference.....I'm not sure I could go back to a physical keyboard.....I do a lot of texting and emails so typing is a big priority......I'm looking at a NE2 in less than 30 days and am strongly looking at the maxxx since battery life is the most important .....my charge dies by dinner time everynight....wondering if anything else is going to drop in the next 30 days?
    I have had this DX for months now. I'm getting much better at using the virtual keyboard. And it has taught me to appreciate just how much I truly HATE and DESPISE virtual keyboards. I even tried swype. No help.

The whole keyboard thing has been the subject of multiple threads. It usually leads to heated exchanges. But it's really very simple. If you use one finger and look at the keys, like with swype, then even if you're used to a QWERTY you can become adept with a virtual keyboard so that you feel very fast -- for you -- on it. In fact, if you're a one finger typist, swype may really be faster than QWERTY. You do not NEED a physical keyboard if you look at the keys when you type, like most people do.

If you touch-type by feel and watch the words appear on the display as your fingers find the center of each key by feeling its edges, you can't live without hard discrete keys and tactile feedback. You MUST have a real physical keyboard. NOTHING else will do.

All the fuss is just because of the different typing styles.

What is irksome to me is when those who have made the move away from QWERTY to virtual keyboards phrase their comment so as to imply that anyone who can't do the same thing they did must have something wrong with them, or that, well of course it's really easy, ANYBODY can do it, NOBODY really has to have a physical keyboard. That's over the line because it's outside their experience to say.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Device(s)
    LG enV Touch (Present)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HPdrifter View Post
    I have had this DX for months now.
    *opinionated rant*
    That's over the line because it's outside their experience to say.
    I believe the guy just wanted to know if any new phones will be dropping in the next month.

I personally don't know of any, but if anyone does, it should go into another thread.
    Stay on (the thread) topic people.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    P.S.: @TC_Mits. Could you delete/move your incessantly repetitive
    "Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/HoFo app. )"
    into your signature please? (The Droid X avatar is on Page 13. I looked it up for you.) Thank you.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShArKs58 View Post
    I believe the guy just wanted to know if any new phones will be dropping in the next month.

I personally don't know of any, but if anyone does, it should go into another thread.
    Stay on (the thread) topic people.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    P.S.: @TC_Mits. Could you delete/move your incessantly repetitive
    "Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/HoFo app. )"
    into your signature please? (The Droid X avatar is on Page 13. I looked it up for you.) Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    ... And it has taught me to appreciate just how much I truly HATE and DESPISE virtual keyboards. I even tried swype. No help.
    The above quote is a rant, yes. It is not an opinionated one, however. It is my reaction to my personal experience with virtual keyboards.

The remainder of the post is not at all opinionated. It is actually quite fact-based. It explains why this debate -- between those who need keyboards and those who do not -- runs on ad infinitim through so many threads without resolution. I agree, the last paragraph might seem opinionated. But really it is just my feelings in the matter and clearly stated as such.

I didn't start the keyboard discussion. But, knowing how it can usurp whole threads, it was my hope that a reasoned and logical explanation might end it and get us back on track.

The phrase you appear to find objectionable *is* my HoFo app signature. I guess the browser signature is appended, too -- if you access the fora in that way?

I once tried to change my HoFo app avatar but it said I didn't have permission for some reason. It's not all that big a deal to me, though.

( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 03-28-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

I'd still like to be convinced about reasons to get the Droid 4, like being able to use the 'OK' hard key as the shutter button. (Did everyone know that ?) Maxx hasn't taken the cake outright yet!
    There are rumors that D4G MAXX with a better display may come out sometime this summer. I had been sorta waiting for that.

But now that vzw has officially okayed it, I am negotiating for an LTE Xoom and I hope to port my grandfathered unlimited sim into that.

( By DX w/HoFo app. )

Device(s)
    LG enV Touch (Present)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Between all the forums on the web and all the conversations I've had with friends, I guess I should say I wanted to get everyone's take on the two phones aside from the obvious screen, battery, and keyboard differences. That's my fault though because I only mentioned screen and battery above. I don't really share TC_Mits opinions on keyboards, but it's an opinion and I understand it.
    --I have a couple touch typist friends that are always texting under the table at restaurants while we're waiting for food while keeping up with the vocal conversation we're currently having, haha.

As for my personal situation, I'm more locked onto the Razr Maxx now than I was on the Droid 4 when I first started majorly researching new devices for my next upgrade. After visiting the Verizon Store and playing with the phones first hand, I personally find the Droid 4 screen unacceptable and the main reason for pushing me away.
    --For others though, I'd still absolutely implore prospective buyers to play with working models of the phones. A lot of people report the screen "doable" for them, though they could be blowing smoke up people's a-- because they just cant live without the keyboard (I just went full circle, lol). I'd really want to see sales numbers for the Droid 4, though we'll probably never know.
    Last edited by ShArKs58; 03-28-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: grammar/incoherence

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Went into the store today -- finally! -- and played with the D4. Keyboard feel and feedback is quite good IMO.

Layout is not so good. You should be able to get shift chars with a long press. -- entering an email address '@' for example, like I just did using the Hacker's kb on this DX. But I could find no way to key '@' without two strokes. Underscore stumped me for awhile, very odd placement.

Also, the offset of the rows is wrong. It just feels awkward. Even so, it's a pretty good keyboard on balance. But it could've been a great one...

@ ShArKs58 > If you don't touch-type yourself, forget the D4 and get the RAZR MAXX, the display is better and there's no reason for you to wait. All accounts are that Swype works very well, even if it didn't for me

( By DX w/HoFo app. )

Device(s)
    LG enV Touch (Present)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I'm locked onto the Razr Maxx. I just wouldn't mind learning more (undiscussed) pros and cons about the Droid 4 in my...unquenchable thirst for knowledge
    Last edited by ShArKs58; 03-31-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    ... pros and cons about the Droid 4...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...6#post14769536

As I'm sure you know, the sole difference between the RAZR and the MAXX is the battery; they are identical otherwise. So I would add that the tech in both the D4 and the RAZRs is a cupla quarters cold. Droids are only being supported for about six qtrs +/- these days. Getting a RAZR MAXX now on a two-year contract could well mean that for nearly half that time you would be handcuffed to an unsupported phone with badly dated tech.

While you're researching, keep an eye out for new things in the pipeline.

( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 03-31-2012 at 08:41 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast