Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whose towers?

Feedback Score

Whose towers?

I want to buy the Nokia E5 Straight Talk phone from Walmart.com. Walmart's website lets me enter my zip code (33647) and says the phone will work there. However, StraightTalk.com does not list the phone as a possibility when I put the same zip code in on their site. Also, I have seen many internet posts indicating that Straight Talk GSM phones absolutely use AT&T towers. However, I have seen other sites which indicate that phones may be GSM-A which do use AT&T towers or GSM-T which use T-Mobile towers. There is a distinct difference in coverage for these two services, according to the prepaid coverage maps listed on the following site: http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011...-carriers.html. Straight Talk customer service reps tell me it will use one of those two, but say they can't know for sure which one until I buy the phone and tell them the serial number. So is there any way to know for sure before I buy the phone and wind up with T-Mobile coverage? I read somewhere that you can tell whether a Straight Talk CDMA phone is Verizon or Sprint by looking at the package. A colored red picture of USA means Verizon, blue means Sprint. If so, maybe there's something similar for GSM phones.

Feedback Score
    the three nokia smartphones - nokia E71- nokia e5 and the nokia 6790 use the AT&T only sim
    and the two straight talk android phones are on sprint non roaming prepaid network

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Read the Prepaid FAQ. In the section on Straight Talk, I cover all of this. See my sig line for the link.

Also, I can confirm that the Nokia 6790, E71, and E5 all use AT&T no matter what. Current Android phones use Sprint with no roaming at all. If you want Android, you'd be better off to buy your own unlocked GSM Android phone and buy a SIM card from StraightTalkSIM.com. Better coverage - same price.

BTW- I am currently looking at Samsung R375C box. It uses Verizon. The map on the box is blue.
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I no longer see messages from these users (and won't respond to them):
    pfoneguy, rcentros.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The ST Nokia`s have NEVER been available with anything but AT&T SIM`s/service. They will roam onto T-Mobile and a few other smaller GSM providers when outside of the AT&T coverage area. All you need to do is ask locally to make sure AT&T provides a good signal where you want to use the E5, and if so buy it where ever you can.

Your zip code puts you in the COGSM5 dual market, which offers both CDMA/Verizon and GSM/T-Mobile phones. This is why you do not see the E5 listed, because it will not work with T-Mobile. Tracfone pays less for T-Mobile minutes and will stick everyone possible with T-Mobile service. If you want to order direct from ST use this link to order (Before ordering - In the URL replace YOUR-ZIP-HERE with your delivery address zip code:

http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdi...Phonelist=true

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We should add that if you use the link provided by Tracfancier, your phones will be AT&T powered, and not T-mobile powered.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    The ST Nokia`s have NEVER been available with anything but AT&T SIM`s/service. They will roam onto T-Mobile and a few other smaller GSM providers when outside of the AT&T coverage area. All you need to do is ask locally to make sure AT&T provides a good signal where you want to use the E5, and if so buy it where ever you can.

Your zip code puts you in the COGSM5 dual market, which offers both CDMA/Verizon and GSM/T-Mobile phones. This is why you do not see the E5 listed, because it will not work with T-Mobile. Tracfone pays less for T-Mobile minutes and will stick everyone possible with T-Mobile service. If you want to order direct from ST use this link to order (Before ordering - In the URL replace YOUR-ZIP-HERE with your delivery address zip code:

http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdi...Phonelist=true

Feedback Score

october262

Thanks for the information. I checked out the other 2 Nokias as well. I think I'd like a side slider like the 6790, but the E-5 seems to have better features. Just hope my fat fingers and dim eyes can handle the smaller QWERTY keys.

Feedback Score

EndeavorOR

Thanks for the great info and for the FAQ link. It was really nice to find a site that had so much I wanted to know in one location. You mentioned buying an unlocked Android and getting a SIM. Are you saying thet if I got an unlocked Android AT&T phone and got a Straight Talk SIM, it would operate on the AT&T network instead of Sprint?

Feedback Score

Tracfancier

Thanks for the confirmation on the Nokias. I also appreciated the link to see ST phones which might not be listed if I started with my zipcode. Also, I had a feeling that a difference in pricing was behind ST's "pushing" of T-Mobile phones.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    cogit8:

Read post 1881 (page 126), W2PMX goes into great detail on the proper way of picking a phone and the BYOD SIM:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...phole)/page126

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EndeavorOR View Post
    We should add that if you use the link provided by Tracfancier, your phones will be AT&T powered, and not T-mobile powered.
    This may have been true in March, I don't know, but it's not true now. I put in the above URL and put in my zip (06482) and one of the phones from which to choose was the Motorola W418G. I bought this a couple of weeks ago and forwarded my google voice number to it. I can see on google voice that this phone and the number associated with it uses T-Mobile. In contrast, my husband got the Samsung T340G for ST from Amazon and, in google voice, his shows as being on the AT&T network. We've been on T-Mobile up until recently and we both got horrible reception at our house. Now that he's on AT&T, he gets great reception. Me, not so much.

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you put your ZIP code in, you didn't use the link provided by Tracfancier.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldNut View Post
    This may have been true in March, I don't know, but it's not true now. I put in the above URL and put in my zip (06482) and one of the phones from which to choose was the Motorola W418G. I bought this a couple of weeks ago and forwarded my google voice number to it. I can see on google voice that this phone and the number associated with it uses T-Mobile. In contrast, my husband got the Samsung T340G for ST from Amazon and, in google voice, his shows as being on the AT&T network. We've been on T-Mobile up until recently and we both got horrible reception at our house. Now that he's on AT&T, he gets great reception. Me, not so much.

Feedback Score
    Maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong, because I would love to be assured to get a phone that will work off of the AT&T towers instead of the T-Mobile towers. I clicked on the link in Tracfancier's post #4 above. Even without putting in my zip code, I get a list of phones which includes the Motorola W418G (which I have and which I know runs off the T-Mobile towers). The list also does not include one Nokia (which he says will definitely run off the AT&T towers). Do you see a different list when you click on the link?

If you put your ZIP code in, you didn't use the link provided by Tracfancier.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    Maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong, because I would love to be assured to get a phone that will work off of the AT&T towers instead of the T-Mobile towers. I clicked on the link in Tracfancier's post #4 above. Even without putting in my zip code, I get a list of phones which includes the Motorola W418G (which I have and which I know runs off the T-Mobile towers). The list also does not include one Nokia (which he says will definitely run off the AT&T towers). Do you see a different list when you click on the link?
    Call straight talk and tell them you gotta have an att sim for your w418g, please send you one or you can just jump through some url hoops like in the mentioned URL. See he has GSM4 in the URL so if you were to order that w418g again from that page it would ship with the att sim.

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The Motorola W418G can run off of Tmobile's towers or AT&T's towers, depending upon which SIM card ST puts in it before they ship. If you order from Tracfancier's link (or any link with GSM4 in it), the W418G should come with the AT&T SIM.

The reason you're not seeing the Nokia smartphones is that they are out of stock. You'll also notice that you're seeing the ZTE Merit, which is an AT&T-based Android phone that should also use an unlocked SIM.

Interestingly, the ZIP Codes that I traditionally use, i.e. L.A. based ZIPs, used to generate a URL with the Market=GSM5ATSPRCO, which would cause the W418G to be Tmobile, but still show the Nokia Smartphones (AT&T), the Sprint android phones, and some CDMA Verizon phones. However, today, that same ZIP Code results in GSM4SPRCO, which should mean that all the GSM phones will have AT&T SIMs, all Android phones will be Sprint (except ZTE Merit (AT&T) and the Proclaim (Verizon - when in stock)), and all other C phones will be Verizon.

I'm not sure if this is temporary or permanent. It may also be related to STs purchase of Simple Mobile, which runs on Tmobile's network. In any case, it seems the preference for Tmobile SIMs in many areas has changed to a preference to AT&T Sims.

I suppose that it is also possible that ST has stopped using GSM5 for Tmobile and GSM4 for AT&T, and that GSM4 now just means "GSM phones, with whatever SIM we choose to put in them."

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Also, if you read the Prepaid FAQ, you'll see exactly how you can tell which network you're going to get..

---------

Check out the Prepaid FAQ: http://howardforums.com/YL2ez

The government was **right** to block the AT&T/T-Mobile Merger.
    Frequency spectrum is a valuable natural resource that belongs to everyone!

The Motorola W418G can run off of Tmobile's towers or AT&T's towers, depending upon which SIM card ST puts in it before they ship. If you order from Tracfancier's link (or any link with GSM4 in it), the W418G will come with the AT&T SIM.

The reason you're not seeing the Nokia smartphones is that they are out of stock. You'll also notice that you're seeing the ZTE Merit, which is an AT&T-based Android phone that should also use an unlocked SIM.

Interestingly, the ZIP Codes that I traditionally use, i.e. L.A. based ZIPs, used to generate GSM5ATSPRCO, which would cause the W418G to be Tmobile, but still show the Nokia Smartphones (AT&T), the Sprint android phones, and some CDMA Verizon phones. However, today, that same ZIP Code results in GSM4SPRCO, which means that all the GSM phones will have AT&T SIMs, all Android phones will be Sprint (except ZTE Merit (AT&T) and the Proclaim (Verizon - when in stock)), and all other C phones will be Verizon.

I'm not sure if this is temporary or permanent. It may also be related to STs purchase of Simple Mobile, which runs on Tmobile's network. In any case, it seems the preference for Tmobile SIMs in many areas has changed to a preference to AT&T Sims.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast