Thread: PDAnet vs Tetherme

Feedback Score

PDAnet vs Tetherme

I've read some places that if you use PDAnet instead of native tethering or tetherme on iPhone for tethering purposes, your chances of getting caught are less due to the different ports PDAnet uses? Again, we are assuming tethering without abusing (staying at or around 2GB a month). Anyone here that uses PDAnet for tethering on their iPhone with straight talk that can shed some light on their experience? I really need to tether, but want to stay under the radar.

thanks in advance for answering

Feedback Score
    I have both an AT&T and Straight Talk accounts. I have used PDANet on both without any issues or death threats. I do not stream Movies Til Dawn though. I use it mostly for internet access to sites like this forum, or news, minor app downloads, but seldom over 100 Mb a session. I seldom bust 2 Gb even on my AT&T account in a month, so I'm under the radar regardless of how I use the data plans.

I did use around 900 Mb one day while travelling, I was in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and updated my iPhone and iPad apps using PDANet over 3G because they were too large to download, and when you tether, it appears as WiFi to the App Store. Never heard a word from AT&T.

Phones
    Iphone 3G and now the Iphone 4
    Iphone 4 :D
    Samsung Indulge,Iphone 3G
    Carriers
    Metro PCS
    Straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Hey guys I manage to get TetherMe for the APN features and i decided to use tetherMe just for testing purposes but no password was ever displayed like they say it would show up. I do agree ST should relax their stance on Tethering and let the user manage at least 2GB. The only road block has to be ATT and their draconian rules .

Feedback Score
    I believe people are very misinformed on "stealth" tethering. The only reason att was detecting people tethering was because people were using the default tethering APN on their phones. The default apn for tethering is "broadband." So if you used that APN when tethering you were detected as tethering and did not have a tethering plan.
    Read into it here
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2011/05/h...tethering.html

If they switched the tethering APN info to the data info, ATT would not have known.

So on your iPhone with tetherme, you need to go to network and change the APN for tethering info from whatever it is to att.mvno just like everything in the data APN. Also go to settings and tetherme, then turn APN selection from automatic to off and useDataAPN to On.

Don't use too much data.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 2G - 16GB (3.0) (JB/UNLOCKED)
    Apple iPhone 3GS - 32GB (3.0) (JB/UNLOCKED)
    Apple iPhone 4 - 32GB (5.0.1) (JB)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Individual Plus/T-Zones (Edge)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question

On Verizon iPhone 4 - 5.0.1 (JB) and I want to use TetherMe...

What are the proper apn settings to use with TetherMe on Verizon?

Any input appreciated.