Thread: Problem receiving texts from iPhones

Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Problem receiving texts from iPhones

Has anyone else noticed a problem receiving texts from iPhones? My daughter has an Optimus Slider and has recently noticed that she has trouble receiving texts from her friends who have iPhones.

Carrier
    T-Mobile Monthly 4G
    Feedback Score
    Are they arriving as MMS messages?

Feedback Score
    I just signed onto this forum to see if anyone else was having the same issue with texts from iPhones, so I am happy to see this thread! I am having the same problem and I hope someone has a solution...

I have noticed that some of the texts are coming through blank except for the name of the sender. When I check the "message details" it seems they are coming as MMS when they are just plain text messages. This seems to happen mainly when there is more than one recipient of the message. (For example, my sister sends a text message to me and her other friend, and it comes thru as an MMS, only mine is blank. Talk about feeling left out...)

When she sends a text only to me, it comes thru as a "text message" and I get it.

I checked the setting on my phone--Samsung Intercept-- and the box under MMS settings is already checked (to automatically receive MMS messages.)

Sorry I don't have an answer, but you are not the only one with this issue so hopefully there is a fix for it.

Feedback Score
    I rarely get mms from iphone users, but a few times i got a picture mms, and my stock messaging app decided that it was a video and played it as a video with 1 picture frame... lol

Carrier
    T-Mobile Monthly 4G
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gekkota View Post
    I just signed onto this forum to see if anyone else was having the same issue with texts from iPhones, so I am happy to see this thread! I am having the same problem and I hope someone has a solution...

I have noticed that some of the texts are coming through blank except for the name of the sender. When I check the "message details" it seems they are coming as MMS when they are just plain text messages. This seems to happen mainly when there is more than one recipient of the message. (For example, my sister sends a text message to me and her other friend, and it comes thru as an MMS, only mine is blank. Talk about feeling left out...)

When she sends a text only to me, it comes thru as a "text message" and I get it.

I checked the setting on my phone--Samsung Intercept-- and the box under MMS settings is already checked (to automatically receive MMS messages.)

Sorry I don't have an answer, but you are not the only one with this issue so hopefully there is a fix for it.
    Apple's current messaging app makes all group messages MMS. What I've gathered is that the attachment is just a piece of data that allows any recipients who happen to be iPhone users as well to see the whole group and reply to everyone--turning it into a real group message if everyone involved uses an iPhone.

When I was still on VM, I was unable to receive MMS messages on my OV with an IHO Gingerbread ROM; they'd just never download. Switching from the stock messaging app to Go SMS Pro fixed the problem.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Friends don't let friends use iPhones.

Seriously though, many GSM phones have extended character sets, and certain apps that rely on those for displaying smiles might cause a CDMA phone to choke too. I doubt this is your problem (as mentioned above, MMS issues are more likely) but thought it deserved mention too.

Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    We figured out that it is group texts that she is not receiving. Since the iPhones are on both ATT and VZW, I don't think gsm vs. cdma is the issue. I will mention Go SMS Pro to my daughter.

Feedback Score
    Well, I downloaded Go SMS Pro in hopes that it would solve the problem, but unfortunately it did not. When I looked at the advanced settings for MMS on GSP, saw that there is an option for manually configuring the APN, User Agent, and User Profile, but I have no idea whether I need to do this. Or how to do it.
    I appreciate the suggestions already offered...if anyone else has any suggestions I'm all ears!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gekkota View Post
    Well, I downloaded Go SMS Pro in hopes that it would solve the problem, but unfortunately it did not. When I looked at the advanced settings for MMS on GSP, saw that there is an option for manually configuring the APN, User Agent, and User Profile, but I have no idea whether I need to do this. Or how to do it.
    I appreciate the suggestions already offered...if anyone else has any suggestions I'm all ears!
    I've been having this issue for years with the LG Optimus V and today I finally found a solution, so I feel it's my civic duty to share what I did with others. So I did two things that resulted in being able to receive iPhone group texts (and receive them in the single string), so it's impossible to say which step was the difference maker but at this point I'm just happy it works.
    #1 I logged into my Apple account (had to dig up my ID and password) and deleted my phone number from my account information. I had read on this thread that it can make a difference.
    #2 I downloaded the Go SMS Pro App. I altered the settings of this app slightly by go to Settings>Send and Receive Settings> (to the bottom) check MMS Group Chat

It appears that the phone is still receiving the blank texts but then immediately converts them into a single group message string.
    It's not perfect but it sure beats getting endlessly frustrating blank iPhone group messages. I hope it works for you too!

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I am also having problems with reverb. Multimedia messages are blank.

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugatti Veyron View Post
    I am also having problems with reverb. Multimedia messages are blank.
    Did you try the workaround suggested in post #9?

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    Did you try the workaround suggested in post #9?
    I don't have an iphone however, I downloaded Go SMS pro. Hope it works.

Phone
    LG Optimus Elite
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I had the same problem receiving group messages from iPhone users on my Optimus Elite. I found that the Verizon Messaging app would work to read those messages when Handcent and the standard messaging app would not.