Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 3GS 8 GB Straight Talk SIM card activation

Feedback Score

iPhone 3GS 8 GB Straight Talk SIM card activation

Hi,

I currently have a straight talk phone (samsung R451C) which has no 3g internet or sim card (that I know of).

I want to buy an iphone 3gs 8gb and unlock it to use with straight talk.

Here's my question:

Do I have to buy a 3g smartphone to activate a new sim with? Or can I somehow buy a new sim card and have it activated on my number without needing a straight talk smart phone? I want the iphone with straight talk so much but not sure how the activation works since my current phone is not a 3g smartphone.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Buy straight talk AT&T sim.

Port / activate.

Put in phone.

Use phone.

Feedback Score
    Where's the best place to buy the sim?

Any link how to port/activate?

Sorry I'm new to this. arrgghh

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justme36 View Post
    Where's the best place to buy the sim?

Any link how to port/activate?

Sorry I'm new to this. arrgghh

straight talk .com is the only place to buy the sim. the sim is not sold in stores

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Just to clarify, you are currently on VZN network with your R451 C phone, and you will be moving to ATT or Tmo with a byod sim form ST(btw, you will need a microsim from St when you order it from their website- for your Iphone http://www.straighttalksim.com/).
    just wanted to be sure you realize that, there are NO smartphones on VZN network on ST.
    How do you make the changes, please look at the below link,; it is on top of the forum page, but has been posted below for your convenience.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...kia-Smartphone

please also read through the wiki for any further questions, you could also click on the thread below for some ST FAQ's

Phones
    Galaxy Express
    Galaxy Express
    T-Mo iPhone 5
    Carriers
    MetroPCS,
    Varies, a lot
    Feedback Score
    The iPhone 4 was the first model to require a Micro SIM. The OP has a 3GS, which uses a regular SIM.

To the OP, the gist of the process is:

Check with friends/co-workers/family who have AT&T and ask them how it works in your area. You are presently on Verizon's towers, so your coverage on AT&T will not be the same. As stated previously, the only iPhones that will work on Straight Talk are the AT&T models. If AT&T coverage is poor/very unreliable in your area, you may want to re-evaluate how badly you want an iPhone.

Go to straighttalksim.com and order a "regular" size AT&T SIM (for iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS).

While you're waiting for it to show up, do a fresh DFU mode iOS install on your iPhone. Most of the problems people have with iPhones on Straight Talk simply turn on to be the phone needed a factory reset. If you're not familiar with this process or the caveats involved (you may lose a software unlock and the ability to jailbreak, depending on what iOS and baseband version you're presently running), the iPhone forum here is a good place to read and ask questions. There is absolutely nothing Straight Talk specific you need to worry about and an unlock is not needed. You will, however, need to be jailbroken if you want MMS.

When it arrives, install the SIM in the iPhone and log into your account on straighttalk.com. If you don't have one, set one up. While logged in, use the "activate" feature and tell the site you want to "transfer your service from one Straight Talk phone to another". Enter the serial number from the red activation card that came with your SIM.

The activation process can take a few hours. Don't freak out. Once your iPhone shows as active and displays signal bars, you're good to go.

In order to get mobile internet and MMS working, there's a few more steps - the link has been previously posted. It's also a sticky post at the top of the Straight Talk forum.

Feedback Score
    Yes my straight talk phone works on the verizon network. My phone does not have a sim card unless it is built in, but then it has no 3g capability.

I ordered the new sim card yesterday from straight talk.

Oh and by the way the phone I bought is an iphone 3 that uses regular size sim card, not micro.

Thanks for all the info. I will put a fresh OS in it while I wait, like you said. I will post back here and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Well my SIM card arrived last night and I went online and had it transferred from my old phone to my new straight talk sim and installed in my iphone 3g. Just so happens, my service ended at midnight because that was the end date. I woke up this morning and bought a $45 unlimited plan. It has been about 30 minutes since I added it and my phone still says "no service" in the top left hand corner of the iphone. Am I missing something? My iphone is jailbroken but not unlocked. Does it have to be unlocked for this to work?

Feedback Score
    You are supposed to refill before your service ends. That is the reason why they have reserve so you can refill ahead of time. You might have to call straight talk to get your service back.

Feedback Score
    According to the website, i have service. Also when i call my number, i get the voicemail. It does not say my usual message though, it just says " the person youre trying to call doesnt have a voicemail set up yet". I assume since i changed from verizon to at&t towers.

Feedback Score
    ok i just called straight talk. they said my iphone has to be UNLOCKED.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    That is totally incorrect. If you ordered the AT&T SIM, there is no unlocking that needs to be done. You were misinformed (as sometimes happens with ST techs, I'm told - I've only been with them a month, and haven't had need to contact them). Did you try powering the phone completely down and back up? I know it sounds crazy, but have read a thread where that worked. I would recommend trying to contact them through facebook.

Phones
    Galaxy Express
    Galaxy Express
    T-Mo iPhone 5
    Carriers
    MetroPCS,
    Varies, a lot
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justme36 View Post
    ok i just called straight talk. they said my iphone has to be UNLOCKED.
    It's a shame their customer service is so clueless. You don't need to be unlocked and the only known unlock method for the current 3GS irreversibly breaks the GPS. They should not be giving people such dangerously incorrect information.

If you don't have another phone to use for troubleshooting (to make sure the issue is with Straight Talk and not something going on with the iPhone), ask a friend/family member if they have an old AT&T phone they're not using, or buy the cheapest AT&T GoPhone you can find. Use that phone for your battle with Straight Talk customer service, not your iPhone.

It's also possible that sometimes the internal porting just takes forever. It happens.

Feedback Score
    The porting is finished, and when you call my number, its getting the voicemail stuff like you get when your phone is powered down.

They switched me to management, which has been working on it for over an hour so far to no avail. Every time the switch me to a new person I have to explain it all over again! uggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Feedback Score
    Wow they patched me through to a guy that told me to reboot my phone and it worked. Weird because I've been rebooting my phone all day, lol. He said the towers were too busy. For the last 6 hours? That would seem unlikely, but who knows.... Anyways, calls are working fine now, aside from needing to update my APN settings. I will message back to confirm everything works.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast