Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Cell tower and antenna

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Edit Value Martinsburg, WV & Gaithersburg, MD.
    Posts
    124
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Cell tower and antenna

    How can you tell a us cellular tower? and the antennas they use? where are they usually placed on the tower? anyone have photos of the antennas?
    I'm caught in a trap. I can't walk out!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    58
    Phone
    6800
    Carrier
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you have an Android phone, you can run the Netmonitor app by Parizene to identify what tower your phone is associated with. Some towers may be shared and have multiple cellular carriers and other radio tenants on them. Some antennas may be mounted on buildings, hidden or disguised.

    A Google image search for "cellular antenna" gives lots of examples of what typical cellular service antennas look like.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    80
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgp00 View Post
    If you have an Android phone, you can run the Netmonitor app by Parizene to identify what tower your phone is associated with. Some towers may be shared and have multiple cellular carriers and other radio tenants on them. Some antennas may be mounted on buildings, hidden or disguised.

    A Google image search for "cellular antenna" gives lots of examples of what typical cellular service antennas look like.
    I haven't seen any cellular antennas like most of the pictures from google, where I live most only have 3 elements about 3 or so foot long- can be hard to tell because of how high they are. At work there is a US cellular antenna on the water tower, and the building at the base of the water tower has US Cellular on it along with a FCC number

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Posts
    25,842
    Phone
    HTC One M8/LG G3/LG G Pad 7.0LTE
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    The "site" that serves my house is a MonoPine, a Mono (Single) Pole that is bulit to look like a Pine Tree. It is located on ridge top about a mile from my place, it is owned by U.S. Cellular and has USCC panels in the middle and Verizon panels towards the top. It is so well disguised that it blends in completely with the other trees on the hill. This (Mendocino County in Northwestern California) is a very rural, mountainous and heavily forested areas (including Redwoods that can tower to 400 feet!), so most sites are on top of ridge, hill or mountain tops out of necessity, with a few in towns or on more level ground (ie.the Coast), so most sites here are between 25-100 feet in height, there are a handful of sites that reach 150-175 feet, but they are pretty rare here.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    528
    Phones
    Galaxy Note II
    Backup 1: Galaxy S II
    Nexus 7
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    The "site" that serves my house is a MonoPine, a Mono (Single) Pole that is bulit to look like a Pine Tree.
    I've seen a few in Las Vegas...those definitely look out of place. Found this collection of funny "tree" towers from all over.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yahooed...7629535289739/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Posts
    25,842
    Phone
    HTC One M8/LG G3/LG G Pad 7.0LTE
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallstar View Post
    I've seen a few in Las Vegas...those definitely look out of place. Found this collection of funny "tree" towers from all over.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yahooed...7629535289739/
    Lol In Vegas, Pine Trees would look totally foreign! I have seen Mono Palm's too, they have one in the parking lot at Wal Mart in Covina (Azusa Ave and Arrow Hwy). It actually looks pretty good. They will often paint mono pole's up here brown and then hide them in stands of trees too, AT&T has a couple like that on 101, one on top of Laughlin Ridge (Ridgewood Summit between Redwood Valley and Willits, highest point on US 101) and on Burke hill, just south of Ukiah.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Posts
    25,842
    Phone
    HTC One M8/LG G3/LG G Pad 7.0LTE
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    They are putting up more and more of the MonoPine's here, Verizon and T-Mobile share one near Laytonville, there is one in Ukiah on N State St and then the one near me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    142
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    You can also try Open Signal Map https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...BlbnNpZ25hbCJd -- it will give you a location of the tower you're using and even provide a compass type pointer to lead you right to it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    80
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by OWJones View Post
    You can also try Open Signal Map https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...BlbnNpZ25hbCJd -- it will give you a location of the tower you're using and even provide a compass type pointer to lead you right to it.
    Open signal doesn't seem to be as accurate on the tower locations as Net monitor. Open signal showed a tower right in a town south of me- I knew there wasn't one there but netmonitor shows it 2 miles south of town where I know there are some antennas

Similar Threads

  1. Cell Towers and Health Concerns
    By DQ999 in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 08:33 PM
  2. 9700 gps via cell tower and 3G
    By tDAWG in forum BlackBerry
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-16-2010, 03:00 PM
  3. Cell Towers and Sidekick
    By killer2239 in forum T-Mobile Sidekick
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 05:23 PM
  4. cell towers and radar guns
    By quickalex in forum Cars and Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-30-2002, 02:16 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-02-2002, 12:44 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks