Thread: Possible to use Sprint 3G/4G Sierra Wireless Overdrive hotspot on Clear service?

Device(s)
    Asus Zenfone, GS7Edge, Nokia 6230i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Xfinity Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Possible to use Sprint 3G/4G Sierra Wireless Overdrive hotspot on Clear service?

We have non-leased Sprint hotspot that is out of contract that we'd like to use with a Clear service plan, possible? I figured technically its possible due to the sharing of 3G/Wimax networks of the 2 companies, but who knows if Clear will activate a "competitor's" device...

Thoughts?
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    They wouldn't let me do it last fall when Sprint took away unlimited data.
    T-Mobile iPhone 6s Plus | Verizon iPhone 6 | FreedomPop Netgear Mingle

Feedback Score
    I believe if there is any byod at all at this time it is only for purely 4g wimax devices,no 3g or hybrids.

Feedback Score
    I just activated my Sprint 3g/4g Overdrive on Clear today!
    did it on the website~! entered the MAC ID and setup account

you have to go into the overdrive settings and select "4G ONLY" and it'll connect right up and work!

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by myshoeisonfire View Post
    I just activated my Sprint 3g/4g Overdrive on Clear today!
    did it on the website~! entered the MAC ID and setup account

you have to go into the overdrive settings and select "4G ONLY" and it'll connect right up and work!
    http://www.clear.com/devices/byod

http://www.clear.com/coverage

For those not aware Japanese operator Softbank became majority owner of Sprint. Sprint has purchase the remaining shares of Clearwire giving Sprint 100% ownership. Sprint has accelerated what was Clearwire's LTE deployment, service can be attained via any Sprint 'Tri-Band' LTE device (800/1900/2500). Thus far Band 41 LTE has been sighted in Denver, CO. and Los Angeles, CA. It is unknown but rumored that Clear subscribers will be able to upgrade their hardware at reduced or free of cost in the future.

Carrier(s)
    Ultra/ChitChatMobile/StraightTalk /Harbor/FreedomPop/PagePlus/Lyca/ Uverse 18Mbs data/ Roku/ Moto X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    It is unknown but rumored that Clear subscribers will be able to upgrade their hardware at reduced or free of cost in the future.
    I sure hope Sprint lets Clear's customers keep their unlimited plans too. The only other company I can remember that allows unlimited mobile broadband is H2OWirelessNow.com . Here's the link:

h2owirelessNOW - dot - com / pageControl.php?page=plans&category=4G

H2O's is 4G like Clear's.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by roncomatic View Post
    I sure hope Sprint lets Clear's customers keep their unlimited plans too. The only other company I can remember that allows unlimited mobile broadband is H2OWirelessNow.com . Here's the link:

h2owirelessNOW - dot - com / pageControl.php?page=plans&category=4G

H2O's is 4G like Clear's.
    It appears from this thread, it is still available but they increased unlimited/unthrottled by $5.

Carrier(s)
    Ultra/ChitChatMobile/StraightTalk /Harbor/FreedomPop/PagePlus/Lyca/ Uverse 18Mbs data/ Roku/ Moto X
    Feedback Score
    Thank you very much for the link to the interesting thread. In March, I switched from Clear's $35 unlimited plan to FreedomPop's $10 plan for 10 gigabytes monthly (their home hub express WIFI/ethernet router and modem combo device). I think Verizon came out with a "combo WIFI/ethernet router and modem" just a few weeks ago, while Clear has had one a long time. I don't believe T-Mo, Sprint, and AT&T yet have one. It seems like Clear really was an insurgent company--so innovative and good at what they did. I hope that spirit continues with the Sprint buyout, but I see from your thread Sprint just raised rates by $5--not a good sign, I guess.

In St. Louis, if Wimax disappears in 2014 or 2015, I may switch to Charter Cable's 30 mbps plan. I read somewhere that some subscribers are actually pulling 100mbps down on that. Sprint bought U.S. Cellular's towers here recently, so maybe Sprint will delay pulling the plug on Wimax here (I have 5 Wimax devices).
    Last edited by roncomatic; 10-16-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    ....and I thought Clear might have been the first with a combo device. Nice going Sprint.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Oh I see the Sprint desktop router+modem worked on Clear's network. Once again, Clear shined.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    There is no word yet on any future (if at all) of home modems/routers.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. But I sure hope Sprint doesn't pull the plug on those home-based devices and especially their home-based *plans*, which are priced much better than the mobile hot-spot plans. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I can't see Sprint killing that whole category especially when Verizon just introduced their own *home* WIFI/ethernet router and modem combo. Verizon's home plan is also better-priced than Verizon's mobile hot-spot plan, thank goodness.

FreedomPop's home plan is much better priced than its mobile hot-spot plan too.
    Last edited by roncomatic; 10-17-2013 at 10:50 AM.