Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile Web Guard on Prepaid?

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Web Guard on Prepaid?

How do I turn this off? Whenever I go to verify my age it says that I need to call Support and when I do that, I run into a dead end. Can I update my date of birth or something to get rid of this? Pretty frustrated they would do this.

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 710 :: LG Optimus F3 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure how to do this from the phone.
    I looked at my settings on the website and it had some stuff to fill out.
    I called in one time to do it and the person wanted the last 4 digits from my SSN which I did not give her my real one and she did something and it was taken off.

If you do call it in, don't give your real information, they do not need it.
    They don't have your real numbers anyway.

Just make up some numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdiapers View Post
    How do I turn this off? Whenever I go to verify my age it says that I need to call Support and when I do that, I run into a dead end. Can I update my date of birth or something to get rid of this? Pretty frustrated they would do this.
    After I heard about the new T~Mobile Prepaid Plans

Feedback Score
    I did turn web guard off online a month or so back on two different accounts. You need to supply a social security number and corresponding birth date so that they can verify your age. I don't like giving out mine even though they say they won't retain the information or use it for any other purpose. I tried making one up and that didn't work. I succeeded by entering my grandmother's ss number and birth day and month, but I had to select the earliest year given on their list rather than the actual year she was born because their list didn't go back as far as the year she was born - 1898. I figure it wouldn't cause any problem if the info did fall into wrong hands as she's been dead for a quarter of a century. I used the same info for both accounts.

I did try to do it on the phone like Snowy did by using made up numbers, but was told by the rep that it wasn't verifying.

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 710 :: LG Optimus F3 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    That's odd, maybe they are catching on.
    The number I gave was way off from what my real number was too.
    This was in September 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by cobo View Post
    I did try to do it on the phone like Snowy did by using made up numbers, but was told by the rep that it wasn't verifying.

Feedback Score
    I don't think they actually verify age with a full SSN. They only ask for the last four digits. I think they are really asking for the 4-digit PIN associated with your account which you provided when you activated the account (which could be the last four of your SSN, but doesn't have to be -- at least not on prepaid). I was able to do this on the t-mobile website without calling Support by logging in to My Account.

Feedback Score
    Yes it was only the last four digits of the SSN required online, but my grandmother's aren't the same as the PINs for my accounts.

I had turned off web gaurd on another account in Spring of last year when they were not requiring age verification, so for that I only needed to be logged in at myT-Mobile.com.

Feedback Score
    0000 or my tmobile pin didn't work. What number did you call to speak to a representative? Whenever I call their customer service there's no option to speak to anyone about turning the Webguard off.

Feedback Score
    I think there was a phone number given somewhere on the page when turning web gaurd off online fails and you see the message to contact support.
    If I didn't call that then it was probably 611 from the cell phone with the SIM for the account.
    But if you're going to provide a valid last four of a SSN and birth date, I think it's just easier to enter them yourself online.
    Last edited by cobo; 03-13-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Feedback Score
    I think there was a phone number given somewhere on the page when turning web gaurd off online fails and you see the message to contact support.
    If I didn't call that then it was probably 611 from the cell phone with the SIM for the account.
    But if you're going to provide a valid last four of a SSN and birth date, I think it's just easier to enter them yourself online.
    i entered a perfectly valid name and ssn on the website but it said that it couldn't confirm it...

Feedback Score
    Here's my experience: When I activated my phone last Dec 2011, I was asked to provide the last four digits of my SSN or an alternate 4-digit pin. I chose to do the latter, since I didn't want to use my SSN. Later I created an account on the t-mobile website with a password (not the 4-digit pin). When I later logged into my account and tried to turn off the web guard, it asked for the last four digits of my SSN. I gave them the same 4-digit pin (not my SSN) that I used when activating my phone, and that was accepted. I've never given them my full SSN or even the last four digits, so I don't see how they could actually have verified my age.

Feedback Score
    Well, I'll just add that when I activated the two accounts online in Oct 2009 and Jan 2010 I wasn't asked for my SSN or to create a PIN. I changed the PINs from default some time later, and they each have a different PIN. It never occurred to me to try using the PIN in place of SSN when turning off web guard.

@richardho - Were you asked for a birth date when activating the account? I don't remember if I had to supply one online when I activated mine.

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    This is particularly annoying as a CDN with no SSN. When I first activated this SIM, it was possible to disable WG online without an SSN. But after the death of the Data Day Pass, I discovered that any time you change your plan (e.g. from PBTM to PBTD) they reset Web Guard to On. Ugh.

I have not been able to find a remote solution that works. So my only recourse for now is to make a beeline for a T-Mobile store as soon as possible every time I visit the US, and otherwise use a VPN when needed.

Feedback Score
    @richardho - Were you asked for a birth date when activating the account? I don't remember if I had to supply one online when I activated mine.
    I don't remember being asked for a birth date when I activated the phone, nor when I set up the online account. In fact, I don't remember ever giving a birth date to t-mobile. I generally don't like giving out my birth date because banks sometimes use it as a security question. My memory is not as good as it used to be, so maybe I've just forgotten. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have given them my real birth date.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by richardho View Post
    Here's my experience: When I activated my phone last Dec 2011, I was asked to provide the last four digits of my SSN or an alternate 4-digit pin. I chose to do the latter, since I didn't want to use my SSN. Later I created an account on the t-mobile website with a password (not the 4-digit pin). When I later logged into my account and tried to turn off the web guard, it asked for the last four digits of my SSN. I gave them the same 4-digit pin (not my SSN) that I used when activating my phone, and that was accepted. I've never given them my full SSN or even the last four digits, so I don't see how they could actually have verified my age.
    This is EXACTLY what I did not 5 minutes ago. Thanks for this.

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    I tried using the PIN. No dice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast