Thread: Activating a USED T-mobile phone that came with SIM card?

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Activating a USED T-mobile phone that came with SIM card?

My sister wants to buy a phone for use on T-mobile's "$100 a year for 1000" minutes plan (or perhaps the monthly $30 unlimited data with 100 minutes plan...not sur). So she's looking at phones (likely the Optimus T).

Now neither one of us has anything beyond basic knowledge when it comes to GSM phones and SIM cards and all that stuff, so we're trying to figure out how it works.

The main thing I'm wondering now is if a used T-Mobile phone comes with a used SIM card, does the SIM card have the previous user's phone number and service (or whatever is left of it) still on it? Can the SIM card be "cleared" so it is free to be activated with a new number and everything, as if it had never been used before? Or should a new SIM card be bought entirely?
    My toys:
    -Samsung Intercept with 8GB Micro SD card, loaded up with tons of GBA games (Fire Emblem FTW!).
    -Motorola RAZR V3m (Dark Pearl Gray) flashed to ViVo with COOL custom skins and all.
    -Motorola E815 flashed to Bell and loaded with 100s of Java games!

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 710 :: LG Optimus F3 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    You can't use the SIM card that would be left over from the person who last had the phone.
    http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/...Activation-Kit
    Buy this.
    Free shipping and it comes with $3.34 in starter time.

Quote Originally Posted by the.rmo View Post
    My sister wants to buy a phone for use on T-mobile's "$100 a year for 1000" minutes plan (or perhaps the monthly $30 unlimited data with 100 minutes plan...not sur). So she's looking at phones (likely the Optimus T).

Now neither one of us has anything beyond basic knowledge when it comes to GSM phones and SIM cards and all that stuff, so we're trying to figure out how it works.

The main thing I'm wondering now is if a used T-Mobile phone comes with a used SIM card, does the SIM card have the previous user's phone number and service (or whatever is left of it) still on it? Can the SIM card be "cleared" so it is free to be activated with a new number and everything, as if it had never been used before? Or should a new SIM card be bought entirely?
    After I heard about the new T~Mobile Prepaid Plans

Feedback Score
    You could use the SIM if the account hasn't been deactivated by going past its expiration date for more than 90 days. You would need to get the account PIN and online login and password from the seller, and change them to ones no one else knows before adding any funds to the account. I don't know if T-Mobile would change the phone number if you requested it though.

I suppose it could be a problem if the account had been used for nefarious purposes, so buying a new SIM would be simpler and less worrisome.

Feedback Score
    For $1.99 get a new unactivated SIM. Using someone else's lapsed card makes no sense. Plus new SIM = new phone number (or port over your previous number)

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    OK, so I guess she'll be buying a new SIM card along with the phone. Thanks for clearing that up.

I was just sorta thrown for a loop when a seller on eBay was advertising a used phone as coming with a SIM card...almost making it sound like using the old SIM card was a standard procedure.

Feedback Score
    OK, so I guess she'll be buying a new SIM card along with the phone. Thanks for clearing that up.

I was just sorta thrown for a loop when a seller on eBay was advertising a used phone as coming with a SIM card...almost making it sound like using the old SIM card was a standard procedure.
    Not having read the ad I am not sure just how the seller worded it. But . . . with SIM cards that low could the seller be including a new one as an incentive to buy their phone rather than someone else's.

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score

Once a T-Mobile account is terminated the SIM gets unauthorized and is for all purposes dead and you'll need to get a new SIM to get service on that phone.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US