Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody used Verizon in Canada?

Phone
    Yo Momma's Phone
    Carrier
    Best Compromise between Price & Service
    Feedback Score

Has anybody used Verizon in Canada?

So... I recently started a contract with Verizon here in the States, and now due to life circumstances, I'll be moving to Canada. Ordinarily I'd just pay the ETF and be done with it, and use my Sensation on WIND or something.

However, I figured since I'm paying so much, why not see if my phone can be used in Canada.

Turns out Verizon has a Canada plan. http://www.verizonwireless.com/plans...s-canada.shtml

So it seems I can just convert my $40 talk plan to a $60 Canada talk plan, and the data plan will carry over.

Anyone know if its worth it? I have a thunderbolt right now. Is there a better phone for this? Or should I just pay the ETF and be done with it?
    CDMA - a great technology, hobbled by greedy carriers and a closed business model. Its a pity, really.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Do you want to prevent your carrier from changing your plan on you even while you're in contract? Complain to the FCC about Sprint terminating contracts here: A short complaint form at the FCC: http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm?sid=&id=d1e408

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Larson View Post
    So... I recently started a contract with Verizon here in the States, and now due to life circumstances, I'll be moving to Canada. Ordinarily I'd just pay the ETF and be done with it, and use my Sensation on WIND or something.

However, I figured since I'm paying so much, why not see if my phone can be used in Canada.

Turns out Verizon has a Canada plan. http://www.verizonwireless.com/plans...s-canada.shtml

So it seems I can just convert my $40 talk plan to a $60 Canada talk plan, and the data plan will carry over.

Anyone know if its worth it? I have a thunderbolt right now. Is there a better phone for this? Or should I just pay the ETF and be done with it?
    Data isn't free if I am not mistaken and not included in Canada, just voice and texting. If you are moving to Canada they probably will waive the ETF if you provide them a proof of residency at your new location and maybe a drivers license.

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Data does not "carry over" to Canada. Global data is tiered now, and a lousy deal. On the NW+Canada plan they'll cancel your account if you use more than 50% of your minutes in Canada for 3 consecutive billing periods, but I believe when they cancel the account like that you do not have to pay the ETF.

Pretty sure Bell Canada won't activate a T-Bolt, but you can probably break even selling it to pay the ETF if you decide to close your account.

Phone
    Yo Momma's Phone
    Carrier
    Best Compromise between Price & Service
    Feedback Score
    So if I use it exclusively in Canada, I won't have to pay ETF to get out of my contract? That's good news for me, I can live with that, I'll just carry a prepaid phone just for data.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you move out of the country you most likely won't need to pay the ETF, as mentioned before.
    Current Device: White Out Moto X 32GB
    THE RULES!
    Please report all inappropriate posts by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom of the post.

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
    If you move out of the country you most likely won't need to pay the ETF, as mentioned before.
    There was too much fraud associated with this benefit so verizon doesn't offer it anymore.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Larson View Post
    So if I use it exclusively in Canada, I won't have to pay ETF to get out of my contract? That's good news for me, I can live with that, I'll just carry a prepaid phone just for data.
    Verizon doesn't cancel contracts for excessive roaming. I've dealt with people that lived in canada full time and had verizon service because it was cheaper for their calls to the US than any canadian service.

Feedback Score
    If you include the price of data it's not cheaper to stay on Verizon. Even basic Koodo plans, Virgin Plans, Fido Plans and, if you are in the proper zones, Wind and Mobilicity beat out a Verizon plan if you include data.
    I'm not telling you anything that you can't just google for yourself

Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The Verizon page you referenced is misleading. The data packages listed there don't cover data used in Canada, even though that's what you'd expect on such a page. I've submitted feedback on that, but I've gotten no response.

Phones
    HTC One M8
    HTC One M8 (Sprint)
    iPhone 5s (CBeyond)
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I can confirm that you shouldn't have a problem--I have a friend who moved to Canada from the states for school and is now living there full time. 5+ years in Canada with occasional visits to the US over the holidays, and hasn't been booted yet from Verizon. This with an old $19.99 add-on to his family plan line. I'm pretty sure it's an ancient plan with unlimited texts to/fr Canada and "unlimited wireless web"--he still uses a Razr and doesn't want to screw that part up.

Looking at their current plans, $30 for 2 gigs isn't *that* bad for 2 countries worth.

It seems like a pretty killer deal if most of your calling involves the US--it seems like we have some OK Canada add-on's (Sprint has a $15 per month one, but they will boot you if it's excessive) while in Canada they are pretty much screwed for US roaming unless they are on one of the tiny new providers with minimal coverage who need to use it as a marketing point, and even then it's per minute.

Nat

Phones
    Droid 2 Global
    Moto Rizr V3
    Samsung Renown (retired)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Looking at their current plans, $30 for 2 gigs isn't *that* bad for 2 countries worth.

Yes, that would be great, but actually $30 gets you, wait for it, 50 whole MBs per month! And the great thing about the Canadian rate is that is half the price of everywhere else, just $2.05/MB overage, if anyone can imagine using more than 50MB per month.

See http://businessportals.verizonwirele..._coverage.html

As line9how says, the rates on the Canada page are misleading, these are the standard data rates for use in the US.

Carrier
    Telus / Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've been using Verizon in Canada for about 10 years now with no issues. It is more common (at least in my circles) that you probably believe.

Bottom line is this: if you will be maintaining a good portion of your life in the US, get NW+C and unlimited txt. If you are cutting off your life in the US completely, get on a Canadian plan and call it a day. You can't beat NW+C if you will lead a cross-border life.

Data is a problem, obviously. WiFi solves most of the problems, but you will not be able to send MMS without incurring data charges (even though MMS is covered as part of your txt package, yup its a conflict and you get billed data for MMS from Canada).

Also know that people in Canada will not be able to call you without LD charges and anyone on Rogers will get charged a fee per text to send to your US#. All the other carriers dont charge to send to US #'s from inside Canada.

Its tricky but whatever works best for you...

Carrier
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vatothe0 View Post
    Verizon doesn't cancel contracts for excessive roaming. I've dealt with people that lived in canada full time and had verizon service because it was cheaper for their calls to the US than any canadian service.

I can attest to pretty lax enforcement of roaming clauses. I've had a line that is on a Nationwide Plus Mexico plan and 95% of the minutes are used while roaming internationally. Haven't heard anything from Verizon and I've had it for almost 3 years.

Sprint 4G home modem

AT&T Iphone 4S

Charter Ultra 100

Phone
    iPhone 4S 64GB, Moto G, SGS III
    Carrier
    MSV 10GB 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    What shocks me is how both carriers gouge for Canadian service. International roaming is insane, but not having free roaming in Canada is just disgusting.
    I usually support government regulation, but It is unfortunate that the government over-regulated and killed the AT&T/ T-Mobile Merger
    The best explanation of the pricing nutiness in the industry.
    Why Sprint and T-Mo will always suck.
    The only way to end the pricing insanity is to eliminate contracts and subsidies.
    I want Wifi calling on AT&T.
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    What shocks me is how both carriers gouge for Canadian service. International roaming is insane, but not having free roaming in Canada is just disgusting.
    I was recently in Canada. I wasn't expecting free data roaming, but I was hoping for something much more reasonably priced. The current pricing sure seems to be way over Verizon's costs here. I just ended up turning off mobile data completely and using Wi-Fi.

On the bright side, I was happy (and surprised) to find that text messaging was the same as the U.S., so at least my wife and I could keep in touch at no extra charge when we were doing different things, which was probably a bigger concern to me than the data issue.

For voice, I was able to get by pretty well with VoIP (through voip.ms) over Wi-Fi.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast