Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Brightside U380 Release Thread

Feedback Score

Samsung Brightside U380 Release Thread

Hey I just picked up the Verizon Brightside U-380. I have searched the forum and didn't see a lot of help on this phone. I would like a little help trying to add ringtones (phone not listed in Bit Pim. And finding the hidden service menu if there is one. I tried to get a good phone without having to shell out the $30 monthly data fee.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Phones
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Samsung u370; Casio Ravine 2
    ;; broken: LG VX8700 (blank screen) and Motorola E815 (broken hinge)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Four options to try for transferring ringtones to your particular phone:

(1) If the software of the Brightside u380 has enough in common with the software/operating system of the Samsung u370 / Samsung Reality u820, then hopefully these steps will work for you.

When I have the Reality/u370 connected to BitPim and to the computer via USB cable and I have the Bluetooth on the Reality/u370 turned off, in the "BitPim Settings" screen I have "Phone Type" set to SCH-U750 (Alias 2) and "Com Port" set to auto

After that, then refer to posts 39 and 42 in this link:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ing-data/page3

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) You could try transferring ringtones to the Brightside from another cellphone. See post 50 in this link:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ing-data/page4

--------------------------------------------------------------------

After that, for two more options to try see post 55 in this link starting with point (#4) and point (#5)
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ing-data/page4
    Last edited by Matt_; 03-16-2012 at 04:41 AM.
    (1) "Tutorial: Making Album Art Work (Most LG phones)" (link)
    (2) "MP3's ! They are RINGTONES / A Quick howto using Audacity" (link)

Phones
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    For accessing the hidden menu on the Reality/u370, there are two different sets of steps to access two separate and different programming menus. Again, hopefully either these steps or some modification of these steps will work for you if the operating system of your phone and the Reality/u370 have enough in common.

Here's the first set of steps; see post 44 in this link. The first half of the steps up through the sentence "enter all 0's example: 000000" are the steps to access one of the programming menus. The remaining steps in that post concern how to turn off EVDO (i.e. the 3G mode):
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ing-data/page3

Here's the second set of steps which is almost but not 100% identical:

go to the menu button on the main screen (four small boxes)

go to the bottom right corner and click it

go into settings & tools (bottom right again)

either scroll to bottom of list click into phone settings and select 'Phone Info'
    or press Fn plus the asterisk symbol from the keyboard

flip the phone open so the keyboard is showing

press and hold Fn (button) along with * (asterisk button) at the same time

Fn plus * goes into "Service Programming"

enter all 0's example: 000000
    Last edited by Matt_; 03-16-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Phones
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have searched the forum and didn't see a lot of help on this phone.
    As best as I've been able to figure out, I think you're the first Brightside owner to comment on this forum about it. If you have the time at any point, I'll hope you'll report your feedback about it. Since the u370 is our family's only phone with a qwerty keyboard, I'd like for us to have a backup for when it reaches the end of its life.
    Last edited by Matt_; 03-16-2012 at 03:14 AM.

Phones
    LG Clout, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Motorola StarTac ST7868W (no longer used)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thread moved to the Feature Phones forum and sticky.

Samsung Brightside U380 Release Thread: Please use this thread for discussion of this phone.
    => Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Feedback Score
    I am not having any luck using bitpim set to SCH-U750, I tried setting it manually but it said it failed to find a candidate port. I see there hasn't been an update to bitpim in over 2 years, I guess they must have given up on it. That was a great program. Hey does anyone know what format the ringtones must be in? I think I will try just dragging from the pc to my micro sd card. I already tried this, but it didn't show up on the phone. Hmmmm, I am getting old I guess. This stuff used to be easier to figure out.

Phones
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by heydave23 View Post
    I am not having any luck using bitpim set to SCH-U750, I tried setting it manually but it said it failed to find a candidate port
    Don't give up hope. Based on your description of what occurred, I might have an idea of what happened.

- At the top of BitPim, click on "Edit" and then "Settings". A settings screen will pop-up. Towards the bottom of that screen you'll see "Autodetect at Startup". On a fresh install of BitPim, I think that option is by default checkmarked (i.e. enabled). I find that leaving it checkmarked usually interferes with BitPim talking to the phone.

Remove the checkmark.

- After you've set the phone type to SCH-U750 (Alias 2), then for Com Port type auto

- Then I find that sometimes one more step is necessary -- after I've changed settings in BitPim, sometimes I have to then close BitPim, make sure the phone is plugged into the computer with the USB cable, and then relaunch BitPim in order to get BitPim to recognize changes that I made in the settings in order to get BitPim to communicate with the phone. And if I'm trying to get BitPim to talk to the phone through the USB cable, then I think it could be an worthwhile extra precaution to turn off the phone's Bluetooth.

Once I've done that, here is what I do to test and find out right away if I can get BitPim to talk to the phone. At the main screen in the left-hand column single-click "Filesystem". Then in the middle column click the "+" next to the icon of a file folder; during the next few seconds BitPim will read the phone's files and file folders and display them on the screen in the middle column. That's what you'll need to do anyways for when you follow the instructions in post #3 for using BitPim to transfer ringtones to the phone.

If none of that works, there's another thing you can try. If you want to try to figure out the COM port to use, try these instructions: (link)

And if you have a spare cellphone or if someone you know has a cellphone, install onto that phone the ringtones. Then do a Bluetooth between that phone and the Brightside.

As far as your idea of putting the ringtones onto the microsd card, it's worth a try. But that unfortunately didn't pan out for the Reality/u370 for .mp3 ringtones. I believe it did work when I converted a .mp3 ringtone to .qcp which is the format that the phone uses when you go to the Sounds menu on the phone to make a voice recording. However, the .qcp format for a music ringtone significantly degraded the quality of it, in my opinion.

And I believe the format has to be .mp3 or .mid
    Our non-smartphones don't see a .wma ringtone and at least one of them didn't see an .m4a ringtone

Feedback Score
    Hey, I have the same phone too. I figured it out. Go to this link http://dsamsungphones.org/how-to-transfer-mp3-files-from-computer-to-samsung-brightside.html/ For step 4, drag and drop the files to the ringtones folder. I hope it works for you!

Feedback Score
    I did finally manage to put some of my old ringtones on the brightside. I tried a few of the above methods but didn't have much luck. Then I tried the "change the extension of the music file from .mp3 or .wav or whatever to .qcp. I am not sure why this works, but it does. I just cut down the tone with audacity (free). Nice, I wish I didn't lose most of my music though. finding free stuff now a days is tough.

Feedback Score
    Guys I'm moving to Verizon and need to stay with a feature phone to avoid data charges what do you think of the Brightside overall?

Do you think it is better or worse than the Lg Extravert?

Are there any major software issues?

Feedback Score
    I tried the Brightside and Extravert side by side recently at a verizon store. The biggest differences I noticed:

Brightside is noticeably bigger than the Extravert, its wider and thicker and has a bigger touch screen.

Brightside does not have picture wallpaper on the home screen, just a grid of icons.

Brightside is much faster accessing the Internet, at least 2x faster.

Extravert seems improved over the Cosmos Touch it replaces - better touch screen, better qwerty, 3.5 mm headphone jack.

Brightside seems to be a bit of a downgrade from the U370 it replaces - no home screen wallpaper and app toolbar, MP3 player is now generic.

Other than home screen both seemed to have pretty much the same menus and tools. Both have the same MP3 player.

If you are going to use the phone as an MP3 player, the previous Samsung U370/Reality had a problem where the MP3 player would freeze up after playing a few songs when using the headphone jack. We wont know if the Brightside has this problem until someone tries it - I wasnt able to do so at the Verizon store.

Both phones seem to be a step down from my Env Touch. However my phone is aging, and if I had to replace it tomorrow, I could live with either one.

Feedback Score
    I have had the brightside almost a month now. I am finding a few things missing that I used to take for granted with my old LG Envy Touch. I liked being able to program in certain numbers after the phone number to access voice mails etc. I don't see how this is possible with the brightside. The ugly background is another issue. I am hoping in a future software update this will be changed. I tried to find a feedback site at Samsung so I could complain about this, but couldn't locate it. The camera is 3.2 but doesn't take pictures as good as the Envy Touch. One day my email was not downloading. Every time I touched the email button the phone would re-set. I called Verizon and they were no help at all. I finally had to re-set the phone. Everything is okay now. I tried accessing the hidden menus and only found one. On this menu, (menu, settings, phone info, fn* then 000000) this menu I found nothing helpful or really anything I could understand.

Feedback Score
    I'm interested in the Brightside and I'm hoping someone could answer a few questions for me. I'd like to know a bit more about how it handles sms and the Samsung Call Center will only get me so far.

1) Since it seems BitPim can be used to copy over ringtones to this phone, I'm guessing that BitPim could cleanly export sms. Could someone confirm?

2) My LG Cosmos starts to delete outgoing sms once it hits 50. Each new sms then deletes the oldest outgoing text and it makes it hard to follow my threaded conversations. How does the Brightside handle sms storage?

3)The Samsung Call Center told me that the Brightside does not delete text messages. If it runs out of space, it will use to external memory card to store the sms. This seems to be too useful to be true. Comments?

4) My Cosmos doesn't remind me if I missed a call or a txt. If I miss the initial notification then too bad. Does the Brightside send reminders to check your phone?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I'll probably have to buy a phone sometime this week. Does anyone know if bitpim can be used to sync text messages to my computer from the Brightside?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast