Thread: straight talk BYOD at&t sim in the at&t htc vivid

Feedback Score

straight talk BYOD at&t sim in the at&t htc vivid

at&t htc vivid is the phone im using

hi i am having signal problems i get 1 bar with the 4g next to it at my house
    i can text fine but i have to go to the window to send a pic message or get on the internet .
    the phone seems to switch back an forth from 4g with 1 bar to E with 3 bars ,,is there any way to improve
    the signal ..i can go about 6 miles an then the siganl on 4g goes to 3 -4 bars is there anyway to up date the the tower location or anything that will help ,, i just ported my ## from metropcs to this new straight talk BYOD at&t sim an really not happy with the signal im getting ,,on the at&t map it says i should get good siganl here is my area code 33909 any help would be great... also do u think it would help to contact
    straight talk reps to see if they had any suggestions ,,if so what the best way ,,can some one give me a link tks

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    No carrier can guarantee coverage at all locations. Since Straight Talk does not operate the network, there is nothing they can do.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    Nexus 4 16GB
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    The only thing would be to order the T-Mobile SIM (if you bought an AT&T SIM) and see if that coverage works better for you (as it will default to the T-Mobile network over the AT&T network.)
    Internet at work and with a Nexus 4 on Straight Talk with AT&T.

Feedback Score
    u mean to try buying the t mobil sim ,,if i do that wont my at&t phone the htc vivid will not accept the t mobile sim with out buying an unlock code am i right about that... or will it just accept it ,, how would that work ?????
    Quote Originally Posted by jebr View Post
    The only thing would be to order the T-Mobile SIM (if you bought an AT&T SIM) and see if that coverage works better for you (as it will default to the T-Mobile network over the AT&T network.)

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    You can buy a signal amplifier for 850/1900mhz bands, thats one way. Something like: http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Exten...dp/B003VOW5WI/
    Its not cheap though.

Theres no way to "up date the tower location" as GSM doesn't use PRLs like CDMA. You will always get the towers that are around you. So your stuck either amplifying the signal as it comes into your home or trying T-Mobile. However your Vivid does need to be unlocked and note you will not get 3G/4G on T-Mobile with the Vivid.

When your standing outside your house, do you get like 2 bars? If so, I would recommend getting a signal amplifier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    You can buy a signal amplifier for 850/1900mhz bands, thats one way. Something like: http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Exten...dp/B003VOW5WI/
    Its not cheap though.

Theres no way to "up date the tower location" as GSM doesn't use PRLs like CDMA. You will always get the towers that are around you. So your stuck either amplifying the signal as it comes into your home or trying T-Mobile. However your Vivid does need to be unlocked and note you will not get 3G/4G on T-Mobile with the Vivid.

When your standing outside your house, do you get like 2 bars? If so, I would recommend getting a signal amplifier.
    can u give me an idea which one of these signal boosters would be the best an the cheapest lol an yes i do get more signal when i go out side ,, i actual went up on my roof ,,,, an got 3-4 bars in the direction of the tower thats closest to me ,,but i have two towers /antannas for the at&t 1 north of me about 4.5 miles an 1 to the side of me about the same distance 4.5 ,just wanna be able to get the both signals in both directions ,, i think its called multi directional antannas / boosters ,,, a link or somthimg to the cheepest an best tks

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stangjames View Post
    can u give me an idea which one of these signal boosters would be the best an the cheapest lol an yes i do get more signal when i go out side ,, i actual went up on my roof ,,,, an got 3-4 bars in the direction of the tower thats closest to me ,,but i have two towers /antannas for the at&t 1 north of me about 4.5 miles an 1 to the side of me about the same distance 4.5 ,just wanna be able to get the both signals in both directions ,, i think its called multi directional antannas / boosters ,,, a link or somthimg to the cheepest an best tks
    I have never used one, so I recommend you search around and read the reviews. Check Newegg and Amazon for these products and the reviews. Make sure it has 850mhz and 1900mhz UMTS/3G support. The one I linked you to seems pretty good based on reviews and the price is probably mid-low range.

Feedback Score
    I have purchased a Wilson Electronics model kit #841262 through Amazon (cheapest) price. I must say it works just great. I now get 5 bars almost every where in the house and the best I could do out side was 2 bars. It took me several hours to put up the antenna - route it into the house and then across the attic and down to a central room. Getting warm here in Florida and the attic is getting very hot during the afternoon when I had time to work on the project. The cell phones just came alive with the strong signal.

Feedback Score
    Understand you are using a Straight Talk sim. Does it work well when you have a strong signal?

Feedback Score
    yes it work very well ..i go to ft myers fl next town over 7 -10 miles ,,so did your kit work as good as they say they do

Feedback Score

Wilson signal booster Works really well in my location.

Wilson signal booster Works really well in my location. You have to have a signal to boost.
    This kit only covers the regular cell phone frequencies and not the higher speed networks
    such as LTE.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    A cheaper alternative would be to get an AT&T subscriber to register a 3G MicroCell and add your number as an authorized user.