Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to port a number out but keep the line active?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthroMatt View Post
    :banghead:

Why does it matter? What if I simply wanted my current number to move to GV and then to set up a new number for use with my phone? Maybe because I am planning to move?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk
    Your description had nothing to do with transferring a number to another carrier but keeping the line open. You closed the transferred line and opened a new line. None of the carriers have any restrictions on that. You accomplished nothing contrary to the carrier's policies.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Your description had nothing to do with transferring a number to another carrier but keeping the line open. You closed the transferred line and opened a new line. None of the carriers have any restrictions on that. You accomplished nothing contrary to the carrier's policies.
    I realize that. But my description outlines what someone needs to do if they want a new number while somehow keeping their old number. What I described was no less false churn than what the OP proposed, yet my "method " is doable, while what the OP described is not.

All I wanted to prove was that the carrier doesn't prevent false churn by preventing someone from porting out and then re-opening the line with a new number (att calls this a win back, I believe.)

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthroMatt View Post
    I realize that. But my description outlines what someone needs to do if they want a new number while somehow keeping their old number. What I described was no less false churn than what the OP proposed, yet my "method " is doable, while what the OP described is not.

All I wanted to prove was that the carrier doesn't prevent false churn by preventing someone from porting out and then re-opening the line with a new number (att calls this a win back, I believe.)

And I provided a nice wall-o-txt paragraph that ties up the loose seams that aren't churn-related.
    My opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer AT&T.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score
    Well it looks like we were all wrong and porting a number out and keeping the line active is possible.

The next day after the call referenced in the in original post I got a series of txt messages asking me to rate my experience and as you can imagine I gave mediocre marks. As a result I got a call earlier today from a manger in the porting department as she told me what I as asking was possible.

Basically she said that once the number was ported out the line would be canceled but all I had to do was go into any corporate store and have it reactivated with a new number and I wouldn't be charged the ETF.

She started going into detail but I had to cut her off because she called in the middle of my work day. She said she would be notes on my account.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyonn View Post
    Well it looks like we were all wrong and porting a number out and keeping the line active is possible.

The next day after the call referenced in the in original post I got a series of txt messages asking me to rate my experience and as you can imagine I gave mediocre marks. As a result I got a call earlier today from a manger in the porting department as she told me what I as asking was possible.

Basically she said that once the number was ported out the line would be canceled but all I had to do was go into any corporate store and have it reactivated with a new number and I wouldn't be charged the ETF.

She started going into detail but I had to cut her off because she called in the middle of my work day. She said she would be notes on my account.
    I'm late to this thread, but I had also read that this was possible. Of course you want to be prompt about re-activating the line after doing the port. I assume the reason for the trip to the store (as opposed to them doing it on the phone) is to get a new SIM?
    And did you ever find out if they were going to hit you with a new contract for re-activating the line (I don't see why this should be necessary?)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB on Verizon (new) Unlimited plan.
    T-Mobile $30 5GB/100Talk Pre-Paid
    iPad Mini 2 Retina 128GB on AT&T LTE

Carrier(s)
    AT&T (08-09)(09-10 )(10-)
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Let us know if it works for you! I'd love to do this as well, assuming I can keep my unlimited plan/no plan changes.
    Once upon a time - AT&T Indirect Dealer Rep
    HowardForums Feedback Thread

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Can you possibly PM me the name of the Manager (first name only if you'd like) that responded to your survey?

The manager was likely offering to have a new line opened for you and the ETF from the ported line waived as an exception and may not have had time to fully explain the offer since the conversation was brief. This is the most common concession made since, as we've stated, it is systematically impossible to reopen the same line on a different number. It produces the same end result -an active line, and no ETF charged- but is not the same as having reopened the line (For example your tenure/etc will not be preserved).

Device(s)
    Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerRuling View Post
    Can you possibly PM me the name of the Manager (first name only if you'd like) that responded to your survey?

The manager was likely offering to have a new line opened for you and the ETF from the ported line waived as an exception and may not have had time to fully explain the offer since the conversation was brief. This is the most common concession made since, as we've stated, it is systematically impossible to reopen the same line on a different number. It produces the same end result -an active line, and no ETF charged- but is not the same as having reopened the line (For example your tenure/etc will not be preserved).
    I know that Verizon was able to do this. I've actually seen it happen, but this was years ago, back around 2007-ish, when I used to work for Verizon.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerRuling View Post

Sorry don't remember her name.

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I have a friend who was allowed to get a new number and keep her old contract when she was being stalked. I think they wanted her personal protection order. The old number then died on the vine.

Feedback Score
    If there was ever a thread that deserved to be stickied, this is it. This question comes up every three months or so.

(P.S. - If you get the ETF waived, AT&T did it manually to keep you happy. I would personally make you eat the ETF, if I were AT&T.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stufried View Post
    I have a friend who was allowed to get a new number and keep her old contract when she was being stalked. I think they wanted her personal protection order. The old number then died on the vine.
    Completely different situation. OP was trying to move a number from AT&T and he didn't want to pay an ETF for the line. Your friend was keeping her service with AT&T, and they waived the number change fee for her.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Goelz83 View Post
    If there was ever a thread that deserved to be stickied, this is it. This question comes up every three months or so.

(P.S. - If you get the ETF waived, AT&T did it manually to keep you happy. I would personally make you eat the ETF, if I were AT&T.)
    and I think I post on most of those tri-monthly threads lol. I also tend to agree with your last statement...difference between making a situation right for someone and and causing 50 other problems in the process of trying to satisfy one request. Once it was a month and a half ordeal to get an account fixed where someone was promised no less than 3 different impossible things I had to workaround and make "pseudo" happen.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Good idea. I've gone ahead and stickied it for now. Thanks.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Why did you even bring up the topic? Were you seeking approval? You explained your plans poorly and then tried to use "gotchas" by bring up the missing details after people had found problems with your original details.

Glad this is a sticky, good information.

I'd love to move my number from Verizon to my at&t line next spring, and move my at&t number to a prepaid carrier. The at&t line is for my grandfather and is on the 300 minute/1,000 N&W 29.99 plan. The line has been out of contract since 2009; I don't see why this would so unreasonable but clearly it is either lose the plan or lose the at&t number.
    Last edited by veriztd; 08-20-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Insult to another member deleted
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast