Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to port a number out but keep the line active?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8820
    Carrier(s)
    At&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    OK i don't post here often .... lately i been out of the cell phone game for awhile pursuing other career options but on the Cingular/ATT carrier ... i have PERSONALLY completed this request for a customer before in 2007 and I KNOW it works and is possible to be done.....
    i ported the number out called back into CS and explained to them the number was needed on a different network because it was a business line that had been used for years and our reception for that sale person was horrible in the office they needed the line active ....
    i explained that situation to the CS rep and they reactivated the line gave me a fresh number on the line and business continued as usual same contract date same features NOTHING Changed but the number ......
    so YES it is possible and YES i have done it ....
    and this has ALWAYS been a question that comes up but its the people that don't research or ever attempted it that answer the question with a NO.... LoL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LicorShot View Post
    i have PERSONALLY completed this request for a customer before in 2007 and I KNOW it works and is possible to be done.
    so YES it is possible and YES i have done it
    2007 was a long time ago. A lot of things have happened since then like the Great Recession caused by eight years of neglect by an administration devoid of conscience. Are you absolutely sure that policy is still in effect? Could they have changed policy to adjust to a more virtuous administration in Jan 2009?
    "He says he's for the little guy but he's actually built his businesses on the backs of the little guy, through eminent domain or through not paying contractors after you've built something that little guys have suffered"
    Kellyanne Conway 02/10/2016 speaking about Donald Trump in an interview with Carol Costello on CNN

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8820
    Carrier(s)
    At&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    ONLY way that won't work .... is if after the ATT takeover they changed the policy ... but you do have to go thru a few different customer service agents who know what they are doing .... some of the new class prolly has NO idea how to acccomplish this task .

Good Luck though !!

Feedback Score
    Wow.... I hoped to do this very same thing, for a very legitimate reason. (The phone I've been using belongs to my previous employer, and when they first issued it to me - they agreed to let me port my personal number to it so I could use it for both work and personal calls. That kept me from having to carry around two phones all the time, and with the Sprint "unlimited everything" plans they put on all their phones anyway, it didn't cost them extra if i used the phone for some personal calls.)

Now, my new employer just issued me a new iPhone 5, so I wanted to port my number to Google Voice, and then just have it forwarded from there to my new company phone. My old employer graciously let me keep using their cellphone until I got this new iPhone 5 with the new place, but what I wanted to do was just let Sprint put some other number back on it and keep it activated so they can re-issue it to another employee when they get it back from me in the mail.

It sounds like if they won't do this, my work gets punished with an ETF fee and the hassle of having to call in and re-activate the phone for the next guy. NOT what I intended to do to them!

* Oh, sorry... Just realized i posted this in the AT&T forum, though I'm referring to Sprint in my personal situation. Hope that doesn't make the whole thing "off topic" though, as I just wanted to express a valid reason why a person might want to do such a thing.....

Feedback Score
    hmmm i dont think so

Feedback Score
    it seems like you can i would like answers aswell

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I can see legitimate uses for this, but I do have a question. Why can't you port your number out and get a new number assigned, but if you call up and request a new number for spam/security reasons they have no problem giving you a new number?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    I can see legitimate uses for this, but I do have a question. Why can't you port your number out and get a new number assigned, but if you call up and request a new number for spam/security reasons they have no problem giving you a new number?
    Technical difference. When you have an active line you can request it be changed, either to a number requested from another carrier (a port) or one from the pool of numbers AT&T has in that market. The difference with a port out is if you change the number before you try to port it out then that number is no longer active and will not complete the port out process. If you port it out then try to change it - it is a cancelled line and you cannot change a cancelled line to another number.
    My opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer AT&T.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerRuling View Post
    Technical difference. When you have an active line you can request it be changed, either to a number requested from another carrier (a port) or one from the pool of numbers AT&T has in that market. The difference with a port out is if you change the number before you try to port it out then that number is no longer active and will not complete the port out process. If you port it out then try to change it - it is a cancelled line and you cannot change a cancelled line to another number.
    Say you just request a new number, how long does it take before your old number to become available? I know with US Cellular they let me choose whatever number I wanted, as long as it was available.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Say you just request a new number, how long does it take before your old number to become available?
    I believe it is either 30 or 60 days before the number is recycled to allow customers who port out/cancel to restart the account with the same mobile #.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    I think that there are two answers to this question:

First, if you port out, your line will cancel. If you are under contract, you will be charged an ETF.

Second, if you call at&t and tell them that you just wanted to port your # out and do want to keep the line active, and ask very nicely, they will very likely reactivate the line with a new number and waive the ETF.

Although it was many years ago, they did that for me when I asked. It stands to reason that they'd rather keep an active line of service than get the ETF and have you go away forever.
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I have blocked some Hofo users and so I don't see and won't respond to messages from them.

Device(s)
    HTC One 64 GB Developers Edition
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo Unlimited 4G: $24/mo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
    Second, if you call at&t and tell them that you just wanted to port your # out and do want to keep the line active, and ask very nicely, they will very likely reactivate the line with a new number and waive the ETF.

Although it was many years ago, they did that for me when I asked. It stands to reason that they'd rather keep an active line of service than get the ETF and have you go away forever.
    which dept should i speak to? im not under contract & just want to retain my account with a diff #.....i tried premier/business & the porting dept (888.898.7685) but neither of them could do it

HTC Amaze<--HTC Sensation [Z710a]<--Nokia N900<--HTC Raphael<--HTC Hermes<--Moto MPx<--Moto Razr<--Moto i95<--Samsung Uproar<--Sprint TouchPoint 120<--Samsung SCH-2000<--Nokia 638 [Cellular One]

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Call customer service after you port your number out. They just reactivate your phone with a new number. It is something that they do everyday for people who have cancelled service.

Device(s)
    HTC One 64 GB Developers Edition
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo Unlimited 4G: $24/mo
    Feedback Score

Grandfathered Plan

ok, what if my plan is a grandfathered one...will they simply reactivate that with a new #?

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sheik View Post
    ok, what if my plan is a grandfathered one...will they simply reactivate that with a new #?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast