Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to port a number out but keep the line active?

Device(s)
    HTC One 64 GB Developers Edition
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo Unlimited 4G: $24/mo
    Feedback Score
    Any other suggestions on how I can change my number while keeping my current plan? I have another number I can port in but I want the current one to be used elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
    I doubt it.

HTC Amaze<--HTC Sensation [Z710a]<--Nokia N900<--HTC Raphael<--HTC Hermes<--Moto MPx<--Moto Razr<--Moto i95<--Samsung Uproar<--Sprint TouchPoint 120<--Samsung SCH-2000<--Nokia 638 [Cellular One]

Device(s)
    HTC One 64 GB Developers Edition
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo Unlimited 4G: $24/mo
    Feedback Score

Question Retention or Winback

Can Retention reps do anything? I'd rather not risk losing my plan and just have my # forwarded

For Winback: If there's an option when resuming a canceled line to activate it with a different number ("resume"), does it matter if the plan is no longer available? Can this be done by the same Winback rep or does it need higher level override?

I tried creating a new line at the Corp Store but they couldn't swap the numbers between the service plans, putting the old number on the new plan, and the new number on the Grandfathered plan

Feedback Score
    Porting and avoiding ETF, no problem. If you're trying to port and keep a grandfathered unlimited plan, good luck. I couldn't do it, and I tried numerous phone calls and visits to the ATT store. Eventually ended up abandoning unlimited, porting and going to Aio, which for all intents and purposes has been the same, except throttling occurs at 2gb instead of 3gb.

Feedback Score
    have you tried google voice?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Is it possible to port a number out but keep the line active?

Quote Originally Posted by Antawnm26 View Post
    have you tried google voice?
    The Google Voice trick does not work with AT&T. As soon as they receive a port request, they lock the number so it cannot be changed. Even if you try to change the number one second after submitting a port request with Google, AT&T will not let it happen. It has been verified to work with Verizon but not AT&T. Verizon doesn't seem to lock your number when there is a port request pending.

Feedback Score
    I have an issue that requires this thread topic and I found out the answer is "No".

I want to swap my google voice number with my AT&T cell phone number (under contract). If I port my google voice number to the phone it will blow away my existing cell number so I won't be able to transfer it into google voice. If I port out the number to google voice, I will have to pay an ETF even though I don't want to close the line. The rep is spoke to said that the line is closed automatically when you port a number out. There is no way to stop it from being closed.

I was considering swapping the number that is under contract to a line that is not under contract and then I could pull the number into google voice. The line would be cancelled unfortunately so I would have to reopen another one.

I think what I'm going to have to do is add a new line and port in my google voice number. Then I can either pay the ETF and port the original number to google voice right away. Or I can just keep both lines open for a couple months until my contract expires. Then I can port the number to google voice when the contract is up.

In another thread I was informed that the phone number is tied to the contract so my options are severely limited.

Device(s)
    Xperia ZL, iPhone 5c, LG Optimus T, Moto Defy+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
    I doubt it.
    << Iron Sheik quote: Grandfathered Plan
    ok, what if my plan is a grandfathered one...will they simply reactivate that with a new #? >>

I am trying to follow this approach- Will this work??

I currently have 2 lines. Line1 is grandfathered out-of-contract. Line2 is newly activated 2 yr contract.

1. I will port out my Line1 number to a new T-mobile prepaid SIM.
    2. Line1 grandfathered account is automatically "cancelled" after the port out is completed.
    3. Will call into AT&T a day later and re-instate my Line1 grandfathered account, assume they will automatically just re-assign a new number from their pool.

Will this work? Thanks!
    Last edited by me4tux; 02-19-2014 at 12:45 PM. Reason: minor
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by me4tux View Post
    << Iron Sheik quote: Grandfathered Plan
    ok, what if my plan is a grandfathered one...will they simply reactivate that with a new #? >>

I am trying to follow this approach- Will this work??

I currently have 2 lines. Line1 is grandfathered out-of-contract. Line2 is newly activated 2 yr contract.

1. I will port out my Line1 number to a new T-mobile prepaid SIM.
    2. Line1 grandfathered account is automatically "cancelled" after the port out is completed.
    3. Will call into AT&T a day later and re-instate my Line1 grandfathered account, assume they will automatically just re-assign a new number from their pool.

Will this work? Thanks!
    Did you ever try this? Has anyone had any recent success in moving their existing number from a grandfathered unlimited account yet still leaving the account open and unlimited data? My problem is that my wife's phone is the one on the unlimited account and yet she doesn't use much data. Would love to be able to move her number away from that account yet still be able to get a new number onto that account that could then be used for a kid's new number as our kid would likely use much more data

Feedback Score
    Why don't you do this.

Start a new line of service as a byod line. The new line should be on the same account holder name and ideally in the same account tree. No long term contract. Then simply ask AT&T to swap the numbers between the lines. You may have to pay an admin fee but it should be doable. One the lines are swapped port out your special number..

I did something similar many years ago with my Canadian carrier as one of my lines was eligible for an upgrade but I needed that phone on a different line on my account. This was before SIM cards. So I did a double line number swap. I did not have to port out as that was not needed as part of my requirements but the first step was basically the same.

via the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Too late as I already switched to gophone so this unlimited account is dead now. However I don't think this would work as the unlimited portion is what I was trying to save (and sell) and that is attached to the phone number. As soon as you change the phone number they don'tlet you keep the unlimited.

I just decided life is too short to bother trying to sell the unlimited and make my wife get a new phone number after 10 - 15 yrs of using that one

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Enough bickering. Play nice in the sandbox

via the HoFo App
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    Is it possible to to port a number out but keep the the line active and just have a new number replace it?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xfyjdyu View Post
    Is it possible to to port a number out but keep the the line active and just have a new number replace it?
    This has been discussed multiple times. Unfortunately, the answer is no.

Device(s)
    Samsung S3
    Feedback Score
    Just start a new line.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonMR View Post
    Just start a new line.
    And use it to transfer the UDP line's number to and then port it out? Can you add a non-contract line to a grandfathered family share plan?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast