Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to port a number out but keep the line active?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This thread is very old but the answer unfortunately is still no. With AT&T you either keep the number or lose it by porting it out. The Google Voice workaround only works with Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthroMatt View Post

What if I simply wanted my current number to move to GV and then to set up a new number for use with my phone?
    Exactly, I want to do the same myself.

I have a tied-to-carrier phone number I want to make my own, that I can associate with GV or some other cloud-based telephony service, so I can use it as a "my-only-number-to-give-out" wherever I travel in the world, publish on marketing materials etc.

However I want to keep using my existing phone and service with that carrier, just with a new number, which will now be "invisible" to those with whom I communicate. I have never used a carrier subsidy for a handset, think that whole idea is stupid; I've always been on month-to-month or prepaid anyway.

The whole idea of customers "scamming" the carrier is laughable, as the whole ecosystem in Amerika has been designed from the ground up to facilitate the much bigger scamming in the other direction 8-)

Enabling this would be in the carriers' interest wouldn't it, make it more likely to keep an ongoing customer relationship rather than forcing them out?

Of course there must be workarounds to be able to accomplish this, starting with a multi-line setup so at least the account itself doesn't get closed down - suggestions welcome.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Exactly, I want to do the same myself.

I have a tied-to-carrier phone number I want to make my own, that I can associate with GV or some other cloud-based telephony service, so I can use it as a "my-only-number-to-give-out" wherever I travel in the world, publish on marketing materials etc.

However I want to keep using my existing phone and service with that carrier, just with a new number, which will now be "invisible" to those with whom I communicate. I have never used a carrier subsidy for a handset, think that whole idea is stupid; I've always been on month-to-month or prepaid anyway.

The whole idea of customers "scamming" the carrier is laughable, as the whole ecosystem in Amerika has been designed from the ground up to facilitate the much bigger scamming in the other direction 8-)

Enabling this would be in the carriers' interest wouldn't it, make it more likely to keep an ongoing customer relationship rather than forcing them out?

Of course there must be workarounds to be able to accomplish this, starting with a multi-line setup so at least the account itself doesn't get closed down - suggestions welcome.
    Again with AT&T this has been discussed ad nauseum. The only way that may work is to port your number out, then call and ask for the line to be reinstated but with a new number assigned. With the right rep or manager you might be able to save the line but highly doubtful. Especially if it contains a grandfathered plan or feature. Unfortunately with AT&T the minute you request the port the line is locked so you're unable to make changes such as changing the number. Having a multi line account may help but wouldn't really matter as reps can reactivate lines on closed accounts as long as it is within a certain time frame. I think its 45 or 60 days with AT&T.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cgjcxgjhj View Post
    Is it possible to to port a number out but keep the the line active and just have a new number replace it?
    Again, this has been answered so many times already.

Short answer: it ain't easy and might as well say no.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sthhy View Post
    Is it possible to to port a number out but keep the the line active and just have a new number replace it?
    ......possible, yes. Easily done, no.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by coorey View Post
    Again with AT&T this has been discussed ad nauseum. The only way that may work is to port your number out, then call and ask for the line to be reinstated but with a new number assigned. With the right rep or manager you might be able to save the line but highly doubtful. Especially if it contains a grandfathered plan or feature.
    What number would you suggest calling to try this? Customer retentions?

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-tmb rugby 3
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Please refer to my thread and last reply about my experience today.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hfgsza View Post
    If you read this thread, and many others here asking exactly the same question, the answer is no.

Porting the number out = cancelling the line, or for an account with only one line = cancelling the account.

Some people have apparently been lucky and initiated a port - say with Ring.To which tells you exactly when the port will be executed - and then switched the number on their active service with the old carrier just before, and somehow managed to catch it just right so the porting number didn't get flagged as back in the pool.

But the odds of that working are slim, so of course if the number is important to you don't even think about it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Goelz83 View Post
    If there was ever a thread that deserved to be stickied, this is it. This question comes up every three months or so.
    Every three months? I would be surprised if it didn't come up every 3 hours. That's why I'm reading the thread; that's why I joined the forum — to learn about the nexus between landline and cell.

This is my first post btw. Thank you for this indispensable forum Howard.

izzy

Device(s)
    AT&T iPhone 6 Plus, Verizon Mifi 6620L
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Bumping this thread as it's sort of changed a bit now that AT&T is not selling new subsidized phones on contract, so the assumptions may have changed a bit.

I am now off-contract (last iPhone bought with a subsidy was the 6 Plus two years ago last month). I have a 15-year-old Alaska number that I need to keep, but I can't rely on it being my primary number as some (landline/VoIP) long-distance providers either charge extra to call Alaska or use crappy termination providers for Alaska calls that make the number unreliable (in particular, an emergency on-call alert system my company uses does not deliver calls reliably to my Alaska number). I'd like a Lower 48 number attached to my phone for reliability purposes but need to keep the 907 number (I'll probably port it out to Flowroute or something).

I am on a MSV plan with 5 lines. I did recently purchase an iPhone 7 Plus but bought it for full price (yikes), so it should not affect things.

Any tips on a strategy here? Is it OK to port out my number, which I guess will close the line, and then take my phone over to AT&T and have them add it to my existing MSV account as a new line? It sounds possible but discouraged above, but I'm not understanding why this wouldn't work. What are the potential complications?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    what's bizarre is that T-Mobile has no problem doing this and has done it for years.

they will reactivate a line with a new # after a port out request. in fact I think you have 90 days to reactivate and you get all original plan features grandfathered or not.

so I think it's a matter of ATT not wanting to more than they can't.

I wanted to get a new # and move my current to Google voice but nope ATT will be having none of that

Device(s)
    AT&T iPhone 6 Plus, Verizon Mifi 6620L
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Is it possible to port a number out but keep the line active?

Quote Originally Posted by RazMonster View Post

they will reactivate a line with a new # after a port out request. in fact I think you have 90 days to reactivate and you get all original plan features grandfathered or not.
    Crap, I just remembered I do have a custom feature on my line that would suck to lose--the Canadian 1GB bonus. I don't even think Retentions can add that back nowadays.

May have to keep things as they are and file this away for another day once better roaming options come along that I can change to.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Seems like Verizon may be more willing just like T-Mobile to reactivate after port out but I could be wrong. Not sure why att is so against it

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app
    Sent from my windows phone

Device(s)
    LG VX9900 enV
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Would it be possible to use the google voice workaround with tmobile to port the number out but keep the line?

I have 2 free lines from tmobile from the recent promotion but want to port the numbers out but keep the lines and just generate a random number for those 2 lines.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skillstoshow View Post
    Would it be possible to use the google voice workaround with tmobile to port the number out but keep the line?

I have 2 free lines from tmobile from the recent promotion but want to port the numbers out but keep the lines and just generate a random number for those 2 lines.
    this should be no problem with TMobile. as soon as Google tells you the port in is completed just call TMobile and reactivate

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast