Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Is it possible to port a number out but keep the line active?

Feedback Score
    Hi...If the person simply wanted to transfer the number out, that could be done and he could start a new line with a new number if he still wanted a line on the old carrier. If he were not under contract, there would be no concern about keeping an old account.
    Maybe it is a mistake but you appear to be selling the same phone twice. What did you gain in these transactions? If you add the activation fee, cost of the phone, two years of service at $9.99 per month plus the ETF, you may have lost money. If the line you transferred out was a primary line, one of your remaining lines would become the new primary line.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RazMonster View Post
    what's bizarre is that T-Mobile has no problem doing this and has done it for years.

they will reactivate a line with a new # after a port out request. in fact I think you have 90 days to reactivate and you get all original plan features grandfathered or not.
    Verizon will do that too EXCEPT if it is a gUDP line, although some people claim they will do it as long as the gUDP line is still on contract.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RazMonster View Post
    so I think it's a matter of ATT not wanting to more than they can't.

I wanted to get a new # and move my current to Google voice but nope ATT will be having none of that
    For whatever reason, AT&T has configured their system so that the reps can't do it. It is definitely a choice on the part of AT&T since as you noted, TMobile does it. Verizon does it too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LulaNord View Post
    Hi...If the person simply wanted to transfer the number out, that could be done and he could start a new line with a new number if he still wanted a line on the old carrier. If he were not under contract, there would be no concern about keeping an old account.
    You are missing the point. People don't want a new line, they want to keep their grandfathered plans but move the number on the grandfathered line to a different carrier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LulaNord View Post
    Maybe it is a mistake but you appear to be selling the same phone twice. What did you gain in these transactions? If you add the activation fee, cost of the phone, two years of service at $9.99 per month plus the ETF, you may have lost money. If the line you transferred out was a primary line, one of your remaining lines would become the new primary line.
    You don't understand what it is that people want to do. They want to keep their LINE because it has a grandfathered plan on it that they can't get any more. They just want the phone number on the line to move to a different carrier and then keep the grandfathered line with a new number.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Responding to multiple posts over 6 months is a waste of time. Thread closed.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6