Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how to tell if a verizon phone is prepaid or not??

Feedback Score

how to tell if a verizon phone is prepaid or not??

Hi,

I'm looking to pick up a used Samsung Intensity - probably on eBay, and it is listed on the phone list as having been offered by verizon as both prepaid and post-paid. I know that pre-paid phones can't be activated on page-plus, but don't know how
    I can tell if a particular phone was offered pre-paid or post-paid? Are any of the various ID numbers that these phones have usable to tell? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Doug
    Last edited by sir-Ask-a-lot; 03-17-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: clarification

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sir-Ask-a-lot View Post
    I know that pre-paid phones can't be activated on page-plus, but don't know how I can tell if a particular phone was offered pre-paid or post-paid? Are any of the various ID numbers that these phones have usable to tell?
    I don't think you can tell by any ID number - I think you have to inquire at P+. Get the MEID number from the seller on Ebay. I'd suggest you get a (used) phone already active on P+.
    Regards, FJ

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    sir-Ask-a-lot, as mentioned above, the only way to tell is to get the MEID from the seller and check it with PPC CS.

However, it is NOT necessary to buy a Vzw phone already being used on PPC.
    PagePlus---13 Years & Counting . . . . . Lycamobile---1 Year & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Feedback Score
    Thanks Boz1,

I was hoping there'd be some question(s) I could ask eBay sellers to try to determine. I guess not.
    I'm not going to try to find a verizon phone already ported to PPC as that would take forever!

So if have a MEID I can just call up PPC and ask them if it'll work? Is there a fee for doing this?
    It would still be worth it, just wondering...

Thanks

Feedback Score
    We recently helped my daughter buy an Incredible on ebay to use on pageplus. We found that many sellers are willing to give you the number to check with pageplus. She called pageplus to inquire about several numbers that she'd been given. There was no fee for this. She did not have to wait on hold for long periods of, and there was no problem with them helping her.

I emailed the seller of one of the phones she was interested in. I was unable to get the MEID because the seller was at work and the phone was at home. I was told that the phone was never used as a pre-paid phone by either of the 2 previous owners. He also told me that I could return the phone if there were any problems with activation. He also indicated a willingness to take returns on the listing. I went ahead and bid on and won this phone. It was activated with no problems whatsoever. I think the best route is to get the MEID. That said, I didn't on the phone I bought and it was fine. I was comfortable with it because the seller seemed to know the history of the phone and could tell me that it had not been used as prepaid.

Feedback Score
    Thanks HomeinKS,

It sounds like this is the route to go. I'll just have to ask for MEIDs then check.

Thanks to all for your replies!
    Doug

Feedback Score
    If the phone was the personal phone of the ebay seller, then he can tell you "prepaid or not". However a lot of phones sold on ebay are by ebay store sellers, and frequently they will NOT know if the phone they are selling was a prepaid for or not. Thus getting the MEID and calling PP is great advice.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well that call PP CS might work, I bought a phone that was used on Verizon Prepay that a PP dealer said would work locally, of course it wouldnt because it had been used on prepay and had been banned, I called PP CS and asked about the esn and if it was ceared for use and absolutly they said but looking on Verizons esn checker and calls to Verizon the phone is just a brick now because the seller is still linked to phone, buyer beware

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deltadude View Post
    If the phone was the personal phone of the ebay seller, then he can tell you "prepaid or not". However a lot of phones sold on ebay are by ebay store sellers, and frequently they will NOT know if the phone they are selling was a prepaid for or not. Thus getting the MEID and calling PP is great advice.
    Deltadude - this is exactly why i was inquiring. Many of the phones were not owned by the people selling them
    so they would not know - so would need some other method. Could restrict myself to those being sold by owner -
    which I generally *try* to do - but didnt' necessarily want to restrict myself...

Thanks

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian315 View Post
    Well that call PP CS might work, I bought a phone that was used on Verizon Prepay that a PP dealer said would work locally, of course it wouldnt because it had been used on prepay and had been banned, I called PP CS and asked about the esn and if it was ceared for use and absolutly they said but looking on Verizons esn checker and calls to Verizon the phone is just a brick now because the seller is still linked to phone, buyer beware
    But you got a refund, right? Hopefully a local dealer wouldn't lie to a liocal customer and expect to get away with it!

This is why I am sold on buying through eBay, unless you can buy from some other unquestionably reliable seller. eBay will look at the seller's listing and the eBay messages, and if reality doesn't match what the seller said, eBay will determine that seller's information was inaccurate, and eBay's buyer protection will give you a refund.

Phones
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    TBolt ATM
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Tour: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; ADR6400L 4G Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

They used to pp in the product number.

Feedback Score
    If it is followed by a p or pp , beware . And have it checked via a dealer, CS or other method...

Carriers
    AT&T mobile share
    T-mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    If I am correct the reason why buying a pre-paid Verizon phone is not desired because it CANNOT be used on PP AT ALL even past the six month grace period listed on the back of the package?

Feedback Score
    Yes that is correct.

Feedback Score
    The equalizer is Verizon has their "Unleashed" $50 unlimited plans that should allow many original Verizon prepaid phones. It is a good alternative way to get service for your phone if you can't use it on Page Plus. This doesn't really help paygo users though...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast