Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Data Usage Limit / Cap

Feedback Score

Post Straight Talk Data Usage Limit / Cap

I have been trying to find out from Straight Talk how much data I am allowed to use without them deactivating my service. The brand new LQ Optimus Q I just bought cost me close to $200, and it would be a shame to make it useless. 2 different Straight Talk phone representatives told me I was allowed to use data, as long as I "make sure to close the browser" when I finish. They would not say anything about a limit though.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of their services? Has anyone had their phone shut off, and if so do you know how much data you used? I have read other posts about this, and I sure don't want to get the surprise warning phone call.

I just wanna download a few apps on the go, maybe stream a little music and video. (Yes I know their terms of service specifically prohibit streaming) I'm not tethering or anything.

Any hints? Thanks!

Phone
    Galaxy S5 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by emkeene View Post
    I sure don't want to get the surprise warning phone call.

I just wanna download a few apps on the go, maybe stream a little music and video. (Yes I know their terms of service specifically prohibit streaming) I'm not tethering or anything.

Any hints? Thanks!
    There are plenty of threads you could have researched. This topic has been discussed 100's of times.

You are at the whim of the ST Data Police and from what I have gathered (just by reading the forums) is that DO NOT GO OVER 100MB on any given day and under 2GB for the month and you should be fine. They should just put a number on it and be upfront and honest.

There are tons of horror stories of people being shut off. Use Wi-Fi whenever you can but be very careful streaming video.

Soft hidden caps suck but with ST you have them.

A good start may be here:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...e-been-clipped

Feedback Score
    If you bought the Optimus Q from Straight Talk, it would be on the Sprint Network, and I thought Straight Talk doesn't limit data there?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The ST androids are on Sprint and may not need a cap because of slower data speeds.
    The problem is no one is posting about their experience with their ST Androids/Sprint.
    You would think they would post of receiving a warning or being cut off, but no one has.

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    The ST androids are on Sprint and may not need a cap because of slower data speeds.
    The problem is no one is posting about their experience with their ST Androids/Sprint.
    You would think they would post of receiving a warning or being cut off, but no one has.
    It sounds like sprints network speeds are running in the 100-500kbps range(from posts on Hofo). And at this speed it is practically impossible to reach the 2 gig range. So, yes data is unlimited, but at edge speeds ona 3 &4G network, how much can anybody consume?.
    Unless somebody is lucky to be in an area where the sprint network is both strong and not overcongested.
    Surprising, since three years back the data speeds were pretty good on the native sprint network for me, makes one wonder if they oversold their Boost and VM brands.

to the OP, did you even look at the sticky thread on the first page of the forum? this issue has been discussed ad nauseam. plz atleast read the stickies if not using the search button.

Feedback Score
    I suspect that Sprint just has less data restrictions (at the moment). Some people claim to pull in 50+ GB each month on Boost and I don't think I've ever heard of someone being kicked for excessive data usage.

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsmad View Post
    I suspect that Sprint just has less data restrictions (at the moment). Some people claim to pull in 50+ GB each month on Boost and I don't think I've ever heard of someone being kicked for excessive data usage.
    These data hogs are definitely slowing the network for everybody else, this seems stupid on Sprints part, to allow these people to continue. Unlimited data is great but at less than 1 mbps, it is enough to make new customers feel swindled, since they have signed a 2 year contract, they will likely never forget this and Sprint loses another customer in the long run. Sprint CEO, reportedly promised Wall street analysts on kicking off the data hoarders in the near future, in a recent conference call. It seems there always enough people who dont understand the concept of abuse, and they spoil it for the rest, just like in the case of H2O.

Feedback Score
    I couldn't use 50gb on Sprint if I tried 24/7...
    I think they have unlimited because people think they get something from it, seems the same as my 9600bps dial up...horrible!

Feedback Score
    I have the Samsung skyrocket with Straight Talk and have gotten the dreaded phone call I only used 1.6gb and they told me I was using excessive data I got the call maybe my 2nd or 3rd week of service. I did stream here and there but it definitely wasn't excessive maybe like 1 or 2 videos a week if that but I did have my data roaming on im not sure if that was the cause.

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    Boost and Straight Talk are two different animals. Boost is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sprint and while I'm sure they do their own internal accounting of how much data people use, it's not real money.

Straight Talk, on the other hand, pays wholesale rates for how much cellular usage everybody on their service uses (think of it as one ginormous "family plan"). If they get better rates from Sprint and T-Mobile, they may let their customers on those networks slide by with a bit more usage than AT&T - but there's no reason they couldn't just apply the same mysterious limits across the board and just pocket the savings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsmad View Post
    Does anyone know if Virgin Mobile / Boost speeds are the same as Sprint or do they throttle?
    I know Sprint speeds are terrible in general but are people with Sprint getting betters speeds than those with Boost with same device in same area/

Feedback Score
    VM & Boost are both Sprint subsidiaries.

I know VM is now throttling after 2.5GB. But I doubt you'd reach that...even if you tried. It's slow and there are frequent outages.

Boost...I don't think there throttling. Not sure tho.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyNY View Post
    Does anyone know if Virgin Mobile / Boost speeds are the same as Sprint or do they throttle?
    I know Sprint speeds are terrible in general but are people with Sprint getting betters speeds than those with Boost with same device in same area/
    Boost/Virgin are capped to 3G/CDMA speeds while Sprint also offers 4G/WiMax speeds for compatible phones. I don't know if that helps but that is what I know from my research...

Feedback Score
    VM throttles. It is in their FAQs

Boost does not. I use 80+GB a month on Boost and have for years.
    Sprint is spending ~9 billion on its network in the next 2 years and is upgrading all the time. You can check your local activities at network.sprint.com.
    Sprint users (and VM and Boost) often have a short disruption in data speeds as these upgrades happen, but it often improves data substantially.

Some users find their local sprint service unusably slow. yet it is fine a mile away. Please test before you decide. Any friend with a sprint, VM, or boost phone will do.
    Last edited by LargePrime; 03-18-2012 at 11:18 AM.
    Putting the phone you want on the service you pay for is not a crime. No one has ever been convicted of it!
    No one has ever been convicted of talking about it either!

If you think I helped, please Click the star below. Unfortunately there is no "you're an idiot" button yet, but you can PM me!
    | | |
    VVV

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    In the past 7 days, I used 650MB+. I haven't received a call or text yet. I mainly used the Amazon App, Safari, and Pandora.
    HP Envy 14
    iPhone 5 16GB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast