Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Sprint Epic 4g on Straight talk

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    708
    Feedback Score
    0

    Sprint Epic 4g on Straight talk

    According to this
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1473141
    One can put an epic 4g from sprint on ST's CDMA C plan.

    In chatting with a poster in another forum it was suggested this is a security exploit and they will catch you.

    I have come to the ST guru's to ask their thoughts.
    Putting the phone you want on the service you pay for is not a crime. No one has ever been convicted of it!
    No one has ever been convicted of talking about it either!

    If you think I helped, please Click the star below. Unfortunately there is no "you're an idiot" button yet, but you can PM me!
    | | |
    VVV

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    457
    Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    0
    This issue has been addressed ad nauseam... a simple search would have answered this Q's. but here it goes.
    technically, you can, by doing something that is not legal. (your sig wouldn't stand in court, makes for a good soundbite though, and yes, tracfone is vindictive and has been known to sue).
    1. there are no smartphones on VZW for ST, so your data consumption will light up like a bulb, and when ST gets the bill from VZW, they will be howling.
    2. All the VZW dumbphones on St have proprietary Airtank software on the phone, this software communicates with the ST servers(unhackable for all practical purposes), and even if your service works for a short time, it will ultimately be caught and your number has a good likelihood of being blacklisted, and then you will lose your number, ST sometimes waits for you to refill service and then cancels service to inflict max damage.
    3. Tracfone isn't your friendly US carrier, afraid of you raising a stink, or image issues. It has a bareknucles business strategy and is the worlds 3rd largest wireless company(ATT is in the 16th slot). They are big and when they feel cheated, they are known to come at you pretty strongly, PR be damned.

    Bottomline: Possible, but you will be caught, search on the forums, one poster got a call from ST within a couple of hours after flashing. If you still plan to do this, you will have made an informed decision.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    708
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ndtv88 View Post
    This issue has been addressed ad nauseam... a simple search would have answered this Q's. but here it goes.
    I did search, but got nothing. Perhaps you might point me at the poster who got disconnected?
    Quote Originally Posted by ndtv88 View Post
    technically, you can, by doing something that is not legal. (your sig wouldn't stand in court, makes for a good soundbite though, and yes, tracfone is vindictive and has been known to sue).
    The point of my sig is that you wont be in court because NO ONE has ever been charged for this.
    But if you would like to discuss the legality, point me to the thread and I will join you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndtv88 View Post
    Bottomline: Possible, but you will be caught, search on the forums, one poster got a call from ST within a couple of hours after flashing. If you still plan to do this, you will have made an informed decision.
    But I note not a single poster at XDA has mentioned being disconnected.
    So probably they are not heavy data users?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,304
    Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Largeprime,

    There's this new BYOP program that they've started. You can pretty much bring any style of phone you can think of and honestly get a bigger network (for voice and text) than any other prepaid by far. It enables you to use data within reason and ST won't get mad about it. CL and Ebay are your friend and can easily net you a good, gently used smartphone for under $200 if you try.

    ST is finally offering an appropriately priced plan and letting you access one of the benefits of GSM so long as you can figure it out yourself (which if you're reading XDA and flashing phones, some simple APN changes should be cake). Take advantage of this and it'll work out pretty well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    708
    Feedback Score
    0
    Morphling27;

    I am quite happy with my Epic 4g, with ICS on Boost mobile for 10$ a month. Talk and text through Google Voice so unlimited.

    As I said, I asked because of another discussion in another forum, and I came here for clarification.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    457
    Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LargePrime View Post
    I did search, but got nothing. Perhaps you might point me at the poster who got disconnected?The point of my sig is that you wont be in court because NO ONE has ever been charged for this.
    But if you would like to discuss the legality, point me to the thread and I will join you there.But I note not a single poster at XDA has mentioned being disconnected.
    So probably they are not heavy data users?
    No, am not trying to convince you. But the below thread will answer most of tour Q's.

    the below is a thread with your exact question on search
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...+straight+talk

    another
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...+straight+talk


    Legality (posted originally by efparri)

    http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-10...105publ172.pdf

    It is one thing to flash a cdma phone to boost or another Sprint MVNO, because data wise they seem to be pretty lax and , why would it matter to them, which phone you use, so they are not going to get too excited about pursuing legal action. Tracfone/ST is a different game, they actually pay for the costly VZW data upfront, and if you use their data, they are getting cheated, because, their dumbphones on VZW, use very little data and they are now paying for gobs of data used by a smartphone(and i thought you said, you use around 80GB of data monthly, on Boost, for a couple of years now), it might be just a matter of time, but you will most likely get caught, the XDA thread lists the OP as using it for only 3 months now, maybe there is a chink in the armor of tracfone, that is being exploited, but they have a reputation for getting ugly, and in this instance, cant blame them if they do.

    Even if it were possible, again this a personal feeling, i would feel like i were cheating, we all rant about how we were getting ripped off by the big companies, now isn't this, a customer doing the same to a company(granted it is a big company, but that shouldn't change anything).
    I like a good deal, but dont like either taking advantage or being taken advantage of.

    If you have already decided on this course of action, then don't you think discussion is a moot point.
    just keep us updated on how things are going at regular intervals.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    708
    Feedback Score
    0
    Neither of your linked threads addressed the question, although one alluded to ST getting "finicky" if you use too much data.

    As I said I will address the legality of putting the phone you want on the service you want in another thread. since you have not/will not respect that, i guess we will do it here.

    Your posting of the PDF is silly. You can't know anything about a law by reading that. you need to read Title 18 SS 1029(a), which is mostly exclusively used to prosecute Credit Card Crime. I have only seen it used to prosecute Cell crime in the case of Fraud and theft of service.

    Are you saying you know of a case where a person was charged under 18.1029 for putting the phone they wanted on the service they paid for? because I call B.S. on that.

    If no one has ever been charged under 18.1029 for personal use on a service they pay for, then how is it illegal?

    Again if you READ 18.1029 it DEFINES the section as REQUIRING a fraud to trigger the section. There is no fraud if you are buying the service.

    But on its face your argument is stupid. In every city in America and on eBay and Craigslist you can find people ADVERTISING this service. IF it is illegal, how come these people are not being charged?
    They aren't because it is not.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    457
    Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LargePrime View Post
    Neither of your linked threads addressed the question, although one alluded to ST getting "finicky" if you use too much data.

    As I said I will address the legality of putting the phone you want on the service you want in another thread. since you have not/will not respect that, i guess we will do it here.

    Your posting of the PDF is silly. You can't know anything about a law by reading that. you need to read Title 18 SS 1029(a), which is mostly exclusively used to prosecute Credit Card Crime. I have only seen it used to prosecute Cell crime in the case of Fraud and theft of service.

    Are you saying you know of a case where a person was charged under 18.1029 for putting the phone they wanted on the service they paid for? because I call B.S. on that.

    If no one has ever been charged under 18.1029 for personal use on a service they pay for, then how is it illegal?

    Again if you READ 18.1029 it DEFINES the section as REQUIRING a fraud to trigger the section. There is no fraud if you are buying the service.

    But on its face your argument is stupid. In every city in America and on eBay and Craigslist you can find people ADVERTISING this service. IF it is illegal, how come these people are not being charged?
    They aren't because it is not.
    I think you are confusing a couple of things, illegal means it is against the law, which cloning seems to be. It doesn't automatically mean you will be prosecuted or arrested.
    Now as to the second question of has somebody been arrested- I dont know, have never bothered to find out. But yes, i remember somebody getting a phone call from ST after cloning posting on this forum, for excess data( i don't think this would be the forum that would be most representative for this purposes, till recently cloning discussion would have gotten you banned from the forum).

    You are buying a dumbphone and using a smartphone to get more data than a dumbphone would have ever gotten, Is this not fraud (you buy a dumbphone, intentionally, for cloning, never activate the phone, then clone it). You are buying service for a dumb verizon phone with no BYOD on VZW for ST, so, no the service that you are using for wasn't what it was bought for(there is a good reason they dont sell BYOD on VZN..$$$$).

    As to the statement that there are lots of people cloning on ebay, i would just say, there are a lot of drug dealers in my city, dealing drugs, it is illegal, they are still doing it, will they be caught, i dont know.

    If advertising for an illegal act or service, by itself makes it magically legal, or protected, then there wouldn't be much left in the civil or criminal codes.

    Like i have stated before, if you have already decided to do it, then what is there to discuss, this is a wireless forum, so what is the point you aim to gain.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    708
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ndtv88 View Post
    I dont know, have never bothered to find out.
    I have. Hence my Sig.
    If you have never bothered to find out, why would you go around TELLING people about how things are when you do not know?
    Quote Originally Posted by ndtv88 View Post
    You are buying a dumbphone and using a smartphone to get more data than a dumbphone would have ever gotten, Is this not fraud (you buy a dumbphone, intentionally, for cloning, never activate the phone, then clone it).
    Nope. You are getting the service you paid for. How can that be a fraud?
    Quote Originally Posted by ndtv88 View Post
    As to the statement that there are lots of people cloning on ebay, i would just say, there are a lot of drug dealers in my city, dealing drugs, it is illegal, they are still doing it, will they be caught, i dont know.

    If advertising for an illegal act or service, by itself makes it magically legal, or protected, then there wouldn't be much left in the civil or criminal codes.
    Again, I said ON ITS FACE, it is stupid to assume something is illegal if many people are advertising it and are not being arrested for it. And many individuals are doing it, and not being arrested for it. Especially if you have 'never bothered' to look into it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,979
    Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    0
    Even on the official BYOD, Straight Talk is more than happy to boot off customers the second they become unprofitable.

Similar Threads

  1. Straight Talk iPhone vs Sprint iPhone
    By Stin in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-31-2011, 05:22 PM
  2. Straight Talk Android Phone on Sprint network?
    By landoftherich in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 04:38 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 08:39 AM
  4. SIM Unlocked Sprint Touch Pro 2 (TP2) with Straight Talk?
    By jmatthews in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 11:41 PM
  5. Can I Flash a Rumor From Sprint to Straight Talk?
    By jdo43113 in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 05:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks