Thread: Question about Straight Talk on iPhone 4

Feedback Score

Question about Straight Talk on iPhone 4

As soon as our AT&T contract is up in a few months, we plan to switch to Straight Talk using our iPhone 4. I'm wondering what features we may lose. Here are a few questions:
    1. Will facetime still work between us on Straight Talk and another iPhone on AT&T?
    2. Will all our present apps still work?
    3. Will MMS work? I read somewhere that you need to jailbreak the phone to get MMS.
    4. Any other issues I didn't think of?
    Pete

Phone
    iPhone 4S 16GB Black
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    1. Facetime only works over WiFi
    2. Yes, all of your present apps will still work
    3. To enable MMS, you do need to jailbreak
    4. Don't go hog wild with data. Most reports say keep it under 100MB a day and 2GB a month.
    Straight Talk unlimited everything plan for $45

Feedback Score
    Thanks
    Pete

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung 455C
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Face time works on 3g if you get the my3g program.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Everything should work exactly as it does with AT&T, exept for not knowing exactly what the cap is on data. Something you might want to think about--what are your paying per month now with AT&T? It may be worth just paying the early termination fee with AT&T. For example, my brother pays $120 a month for essentially the same service on his iphone4 that I have on my new iPhone 4s on ST (except he is grandfathered on the AT&T unlimited data plan, which they are now saying that they're going to limit to 3gb, I believe). I tried to tell him that even if he has to pay $150 ETF, he'd make that up in 2 months, as he'd be saving $75 a month. Since it's paid for by his church (he's a pastor), he's planning to wait until their budget year changes in June, I believe. But he could save nearly $300 by then. I think he also wants to see how I like it, and how it's functioning for me for a couple months before he makes that switch and loses his grandfathered plan. If that's why you are waiting, fine. But if you think you'll make the switch, it would be worth finding out how much your etf would be. It might be less than you think if you are close to the end of contract, and you may be able to make it up in a month or two savings. Just a thought.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. You said everything works the same, but isn't it true that you don't get MMS unless you jailbreak the phone? We are not grandfathered in, but we are part of a family plan and our cost savings wouldn't justify paying the ETF. The main goal is to free ourselves of AT&T and all the associated frustrations of dealing with them.
    Pete

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paroots View Post
    Thanks. You said everything works the same, but isn't it true that you don't get MMS unless you jailbreak the phone? We are not grandfathered in, but we are part of a family plan and our cost savings wouldn't justify paying the ETF. The main goal is to free ourselves of AT&T and all the associated frustrations of dealing with them.
    Pete
    Frustrations with ATT?
    I am assuming you will still be using ATT sim for byod, so you will be on the same network, typically the porting is easy, but ST CS is notorious to deal with, just wanted you to know. I was an easy port and didn't need to deal with them much, but if you have toi deal with them, they wont be fun. Cost is the biggest factor for most people who goto ST.
    CS- you get what you pay for; on the positive side, their facebook page support has a good rep and you may never need to deal with them, and the savings make up for any frustration usually.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ndtv88 View Post
    Frustrations with ATT?
    I am assuming you will still be using ATT sim for byod, so you will be on the same network, typically the porting is easy, but ST CS is notorious to deal with, just wanted you to know. I was an easy port and didn't need to deal with them much, but if you have toi deal with them, they wont be fun. Cost is the biggest factor for most people who goto ST.
    CS- you get what you pay for; on the positive side, their facebook page support has a good rep and you may never need to deal with them, and the savings make up for any frustration usually.
    Thanks for the heads up. The frustration is mostly with overages. Up until recently we were on their 200MB/month data plan and we would get warnings that we were, for example at 85% of the limit, and so we'd turn off cellular data immediately. We had not used any data during the previous 12 hours. A short time later we would get a message saying we exceeded the limit. A call to AT&T was a waste of time. One rep told us to switch to the 300MB/month plan for one month to eliminate the overage charge and then switch back the following month. When we tried to switch back they told us the plan was no longer available and the rep should have told us! The bottom line is that with post-paid the wireless company is in charge and with pre-paid the customer is in charge. I much prefer the latter!

As an aside, here Clark Howard mentions Straight Talk which I find pretty compelling:
    http://www.clarkhoward.com/videos/cl...results/vFgdW/
    Pete
    Last edited by paroots; 03-20-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Feedback Score
    I have a question about making the transition from AT&T to Straight Talk. We are currently on a family plan with four other family members. Our son-in-law is the account holder. Our iPhone contract expires July 29th. We wish to start Straight Talk with our iPhone 4 ASAP, but obviously we need to continue contributing to the family plan until we can cancel the line on July 29th. We also want to maintain continuity of our current telephone number. We thought about switching AT&T over to a cheap phone without data plan until the expiration which would at least save the cost of the data plan. At the same time we would make the switch to Straight Talk on our iPhone 4. Upon cancellation of the AT&T line, we would port over our old number to Straight Talk. Note: it is cheaper to continue paying our monthly contribution than the ETF. Does anyone have a better way to make the transition and minimize the cost of doing so? Thanks.
    Pete

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dustman81 View Post
    1. Facetime only works over WiFi
    2. Yes, all of your present apps will still work
    3. To enable MMS, you do need to jailbreak
    4. Don't go hog wild with data. Most reports say keep it under 100MB a day and 2GB a month.
    I've read another post where they got MMS to work without jailbreaking. Comments?
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...alk+mms+iphone
    Pete

Feedback Score
    First day on my new ST line, while keeping my current ATT plan active.
    I noticed the 3g data on ST is slower than ATT's, but I have not done any testing with speedtest.net yet to know for sure.
    Also, I am not able to use data on ST while talking on the phone simultaneously like it is enabled on ATT.
    Phone calls are as clear as ATT's

Is my ATT iPhone 4 not configured right?
    I changed the APN using unlockit.co.nz

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paroots View Post
    I've read another post where they got MMS to work without jailbreaking. Comments?
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...alk+mms+iphone
    Pete
    MMS works on the iPhone 4 (with IOS 5.1 at least) without jailbreaking. I enabled it on another iphone 4 just today and another forum member was able to get their device working as well just an hour ago. The process definitely works.

If more people try it, we can clean up the steps a bit more as right now there are a couple of unknowns causing us to repeat a few steps until it works.