Thread: worth it to use iPhone with simple mobile?

Phones
    iPhone
    iPhone 3Gs
    HTC Dream
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score

worth it to use iPhone with simple mobile?

I currently have simple mobile 3G service, with my T-mobile G1 (HTC Dream) phone. I was recently given an iPhone 3GS which I would like to use from now on, because the G1 is just too slow/buggy.

I hear that internet service on simple mobile when you unlock an iPhone is less than stellar, so I am considering just porting my number to AT&T.

Is the internet service on simple mobile even comparable to what it would be on AT&T?? I keep reading the fastest you can get is EDGE, which is slower than 3G, correct?

Thanks for any help.

Phones
    iPhone 5 White, Galaxy S4 White
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    3G service for iPhones will be coming soon this year on T-Mobile. I would trade the 3GS for a myTouch 4G or similar honestly, or use a service like Straight Talk.

Speaks for itself, Sprint. Try more actions and not lip service.
    Google+

Phones
    iPhone
    iPhone 3Gs
    HTC Dream
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply. The phone was free, so I want to use it...and have had terrible T-mobile customer service...I'm staying off contracts, so I'll be "Free to roam about the cabin" if anything better comes along. Thanks so much for replying!

Phones
    iPhone 5 White, Galaxy S4 White
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Simple Mobile is a T-Mobile MVNO so when T-Mobile deploys HSPA on 1900MHz Simple Mobile will get it too, just to make that clear.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oasisfan View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The phone was free, so I want to use it...and have had terrible T-mobile customer service...I'm staying off contracts, so I'll be "Free to roam about the cabin" if anything better comes along. Thanks so much for replying!
    Don't use an iPhone on Simple Mobile, you will only get 119 kbps speeds which is extremely slow!
    Port your # over to Straight Talk - you can order a sim off their website to use on your iPhone.
    The service, coverage, and speeds will be way better and for only $5 more per month.

With that iPhone, you're only option is an AT&T MVNO, otherwise you won't get data or you would only get EDGE data which is worthless.

Simple Mobile isn't rated that good here on the forums but Straight Talk has a ton of happy customers...just go on the Straight Talk threads and read about it.

Hope this helps!
    p.s. T-Mobile won't have 1900 mhz for a while and when it does it will only be in limited areas so don't waste your time with false hope that the iPhone will be compatible on T-Mobile's network. That's the honest truth on the matter.

Phones
    iPhone
    iPhone 3Gs
    HTC Dream
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your reply.

Won't I have to unlock my phone (It's an AT&T) if I use straight talk though?

Phones
    iPhone
    iPhone 3Gs
    HTC Dream
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Oh I see now that Straight Talk uses AT&T towers. Got it! Seems like the best deal. People have complained a lot about AT&T in my area. As long as the data speeds are about the same, I'll be happy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oasisfan View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

Won't I have to unlock my phone (It's an AT&T) if I use straight talk though?
    Nope you don't need to unlock the iPhone as they send you a sim that would work on any locked AT&T phone.
    Also, this is a better option than Simple Mobile as you'll get real 3G speeds not the slow EDGE speeds.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Carriers
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score

Ok simple mobile will not get 3g or 4g speeds anytime soon sorry to say

Ok you will not get 3g speeds but edge speeds and if your looking to get at least 3g speeds there is a provider called H20 and it uses att&t tower and no unlocking is needed either so if you get a locked att&t phone just pop a h20 sim card in and set a plan and your good to go as i helped my neighbor start hers up and it works great.But if your trying to get the iphone 4 to get 4g speeds you won't have luck with any usa unlocked providers but i do know a company i have used before going worldwide and its this site >> iphonetrip

But its for renting before you travel overseas and don't know of any you can keep because ounce your set deactivation day is met the sim card is no good and if you want to use there service again you have to get a new sim card.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyNY View Post
    Don't use an iPhone on Simple Mobile, you will only get 119 kbps speeds which is extremely slow!
    Port your # over to Straight Talk - you can order a sim off their website to use on your iPhone.
    The service, coverage, and speeds will be way better and for only $5 more per month.

With that iPhone, you're only option is an AT&T MVNO, otherwise you won't get data or you would only get EDGE data which is worthless.

Simple Mobile isn't rated that good here on the forums but Straight Talk has a ton of happy customers...just go on the Straight Talk threads and read about it.

Hope this helps!
    p.s. T-Mobile won't have 1900 mhz for a while and when it does it will only be in limited areas so don't waste your time with false hope that the iPhone will be compatible on T-Mobile's network. That's the honest truth on the matter.

Feedback Score
    Simple Mobile and current gsm iphones? No. Use Air Voice, H20, Red Pocket or Jolt. All Att mvnos with 3g iphone speeds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz View Post
    Simple Mobile and current gsm iphones? No. Use Air Voice, H20, Red Pocket or Jolt. All Att mvnos with 3g iphone speeds.
    Very interesting! Which of those allow you to bring a carrier unlocked iPhone 4?
    Pete