Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is Sprint going bankrupt?

Feedback Score

Is Sprint going bankrupt?

Good thing I dumped VM just in time!

http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2012/03/19/sprint-bankruptcy-filing-very-legitimate-risk-bernstein-says-2/?mod=yahoo_hs

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So in one year there will be Verizon and AT&T. I feel so secure now.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sprint is not going under. According to the article, this year and 2013 has debt of 1.88 billion come due. Currently Sprint has about $5.5 B in cash. Given their current cashflow (not income) which about even, they should be ok until end of 2003.

If Sprint files, it'll be for reorganization. I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint uses B-filing as a tactic to reduce debt burden. I think they have about $20B in long term debt.

I think the "Network Vision Initiative" is more important to their survival. NVI should provide better capacity planning, less support/maintenance. I actually think it would provide better data/voice service through out Sprint, Sprint MVNO. Does Sprint have enough time?

Phone
    HTC Evo V w/Harmonia
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It says right in the article theyare not going bankrupt.
    “To be clear, we are not predicting a Sprint bankruptcy,” he says
    Besides, as Hchen42 said, bankruptcy doesn't means shutting their doors for good. There is many levels of bankruptcy.

Plus, it has no bearing on you leaving now, as it will be 2 years before it comes about. A lot can happen in 2 years, it's pure speculation this far in advance. YOu already paid for the phone and service will continue at least until then, so why does this have any bearing on you leaving now?
    Your village called, they want their idiot back.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    And just on this talk S was down 7% today.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phone
    LG-G2 and LG Optimus G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Sprint has been going bankrupt for years it seems.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    And just on this talk S was down 7% today.

Considering how low their shares already were, I'd say most Sprint shareholders are jaded as it is! Not to say the 7% number itself doesn't represent just how significant this piece of news really is. Speaking of which, I do believe you wrote a story here about your personal run-ins with VM and your shareholder relationship. Do you still have your shares with S?

So, people. Whaddya think? Should I let my plan die in a few months, or keep it? I'm practically paying $12.50 a month (paying every other month, not every month obviously) before discount codes for a 150 min (split)/unlimited text/semi-unlimited data plan that's kinda on the slow slide. Should I stay with TMO or get back in bed with VM and pray my plan doesn't get annulled in a bankruptcy proceeding that basically abrogates any contract I have with Sprint?

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    T-Mobile almost seems as unsteady as Sprint anyway, although I don't recall any mention of bankruptcy from TMo, just trying to get the heck out of the business.

Phone
    LG-G2 and LG Optimus G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    When you bottom feed for customers (ie BT 25 a month plans, 10.00 Assurance plans and arguably even on some postpaid plans) you won't stay in the game for long. Something has to give. They need Billions for Network Vision, signed a deal with the devil for the iPhone and need to help fund Clear.

They will not go bankrupt in the liquidation sense. If it was to happen at all it would most likely be a reorganization.

Phone
    lg optimus,motorola i425,samsung r211
    Carrier
    boost mobile,cricket paygo,virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (lg optimus v,huawei m835: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.28879/27.1350; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

posted in the wrong section

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Now the reason that the $25 plan had to become a $35 plan is clearer.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    When you bottom feed for customers (ie BT 25 a month plans, 10.00 Assurance plans and arguably even on some postpaid plans) you won't stay in the game for long. Something has to give. They need Billions for Network Vision, signed a deal with the devil for the iPhone and need to help fund Clear.

They will not go bankrupt in the liquidation sense. If it was to happen at all it would most likely be a reorganization.

Right, but I'd place most of the blame on other bad decisions over the past decade, irrespective of their order as listed and not limited to:

1. Wimax. That was not a cheap bet.
    2. iDen. Really?
    3. iPhone. Ok, I admit this one's debatable. But one cannot deny it's costing the other carriers some pretty pennies and leaving Sprint even more strapped for cash.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    Now the reason that the $25 plan had to become a $35 plan is clearer.
    Yes. And what helps Sprint is most people don't know about Straight Talk or the $30 TMO plan. That means anyone walking into BestBuy and Radio Shack won't know they have alternatives.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslieann View Post
    You already paid for the phone, and service will continue at least until then, so why does this have any bearing on you leaving now?
    I agree with you about how it's too soon to predict AND that we still have a lot of time left even IF they were to go bankrupt, but lets not forget what happened with Amp'd Mobile back in 2007. They sent out texts to their customers, simply notifying them that in 2 days, their service would be over.

I wouldn't put it past any prepaid company to do the same thing: waiting until the very last minute to notify people.

I'd really like to switch to ST, but I just can't find it in me to ditch my current plan, pay $20 more per month, and have to buy a brand new phone AND sim. Unlike many people, I'm actually happy with my service, even the data speeds don't bother me, because I'm usually on wifi anyways. And when I am using data, it's usually just reading an article or something.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BadCredit1 View Post
    I agree with you about how it's too soon to predict AND that we still have a lot of time left even IF they were to go bankrupt, but lets not forget what happened with Amp'd Mobile back in 2007. They sent out texts to their customers, simply notifying them that in 2 days, their service would be over.

I wouldn't put it past any prepaid company to do the same thing: waiting until the very last minute to notify people.

I'd really like to switch to ST, but I just can't find it in me to ditch my current plan, pay $20 more per month, and have to buy a brand new phone AND sim. Unlike many people, I'm actually happy with my service, even the data speeds don't bother me, because I'm usually on wifi anyways. And when I am using data, it's usually just reading an article or something.

Similar situation. I'm finding that I barely use minutes if ever at all. As long as VM's charging me only every other month, my bill is practically less than half of what I'm paying on TMO. I think what I might end up doing is reselling my TMO smartphone and getting the HTC One V when it comes out and keep paying the average $12.5 when it comes out and use wifi whenever possible.

Boost Mobile is out of question with the bad device choices, the LG Marquee is too slow. Straight Talk is great only if you need the minutes, might even be a money-saver if you're self-employed and use the phone for work and personal use.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast