Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what cdma service bands does metro pcs run on

Feedback Score

what cdma service bands does metro pcs run on

what cdma seviceor shall i say sub service does metropcs use ,,like sprint ,verizon any others

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stangjames View Post
    what cdma sevice or shall i say sub service does metropcs use ,,like sprint ,verizon any others
    NONE. < if you are asking which service Metro re-sells. NONE.

MetroPCS is the USA's 5th largest standalone facilities-based cell phone carrier, and they run their own CDMA and LTE networks.

Metro is in 14 markets, covering many major cities like New York, LA, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, San Fran, etc.

They have their own towers, their own cell site transmitters (over 11,000 at last count). They beat Verizon in having an LTE network and had TWO LTE phones before Verizon had any. Verizon, of course, was the SECOND carrier to have an LTE network in the USA. Metro was the first.

Metro actually had the first LTE Android in the entire world -- the Galaxy Samsung Indulge.

Next question?

OUTSIDE of MetroPCS's 14 markets, they do have "nationwide" CDMA roaming through agreements with Sprint and Verizon. Sprint is free, included in the cost of the monthly fee but it's only 1x. Verizon's is called "Travel Talk" and costs extra money, if you use it.

Again this is ROAMING when not in Metro's home coverage areas. In Metro's home coverage areas you will be on Metro's network which has over 11,000 cell sites owned by MetroPCS.

See the dark purple areas? MetroPCS owns the towers/cell sites in those areas (metro markets).

The "Extended Home Area" and "Travel Talk" are the "roaming" areas (like on vacation or business) -- but Metro does NOT NOT sell service to people who live in those roaming areas. You can only buy service if you have an address in the dark purple areas. If you stay a long time in the roaming areas (a few weeks), Metro will actually cancel your account. So, Metro does NOT really want to to use another carrier's service (for an extended period of time). Because Metro has their own service. The roaming agreements are for costumer's convenience, not for abuse.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 03-20-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post

MetroPCS is the USA's 5th largest standalone facilities-based cell phone carrier, and they run their own CDMA and LTE networks.

Metro is in 14 markets, covering many major cities like New York, LA, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, San Fran, etc.

They have their own towers, their own cell site transmitters (over 11,000 at last count). They beat Verizon in having an LTE network and had TWO LTE phones before Verizon had any. Verizon, of course, was the SECOND carrier to have an LTE network in the USA. Metro was the first.

Metro actually had the first LTE Android in the entire world -- the Galaxy Samsung Indulge.

Next question?

OUTSIDE of MetroPCS's 14 markets, they do have "nationwide" CDMA roaming through agreements with Sprint and Verizon. Sprint is free, included in the cost of the monthly fee but it's only 1x. Verizon's is called "Travel Talk" and costs extra money, if you use it.

Again this is ROAMING when not in Metro's home coverage areas. In Metro's home coverage areas you will be on Metro's network which has over 11,000 cell sites owned by MetroPCS.

See the dark purple areas? MetroPCS owns the towers/cell sites in those areas (metro markets).

The "extended home area" and "travel" talk are the "roaming" areas -- but Metro does NOT NOT sell service to people who live in those roaming areas. You can only buy service if you have an address in the dark purple areas. If you stay a long time in the roaming areas (a few weeks), Metro will actually cancel your account. So, Metro does NOT really want to to use another carrier's service (for an extended period of time). Because Metro has their own service. The roaming agreements are for costumer's convenience, not for abuse.
    thats alot of ino tks i guess what i was tryin to ask was does metro pcs cdma have a fequencey the opperate on like gsm's 850 /1900

Feedback Score
    Damn Chazz thats some really good information right there...

Carriers
    Metro
    Feedback Score
    thats alot of ino tks i guess what i was tryin to ask was does metro pcs cdma have a fequencey the opperate on like gsm's 850 /1900
    pretty sure its
    lte 1700/1900, cdma 850/1700/1900

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    thats alot of ino tks

i guess what i was tryin to ask was does metro pcs cdma have a fequencey the opperate on like gsm's 850 /1900
    Ah. Well at first it seemed like you were asking the frequency bands -- especially in the title.

But then you added the words "sub-service" with the names Verizon, Sprint -- and seemed to imply MetroPCS didn't run their own service.

what cdma sevice or shall i say sub service does metropcs use ,,like sprint ,verizon any others
    By the time the question was finished, your question seemed to be which service Metro re-sells. Or what company is Metro a "sub service" of. So, that's why I answered "IF that's what you're asking".

Sorry. A lot of people assume Metro re-sells some other company's service, an MVNO -- like Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, etc. If you thought that, I was just clarifying. MetroPCS is not an MVNO.

For frequency bands:

CDMA:
    800, 1700/2100, 1900 MHz

LTE:
    1700/2100 MHz & 1900 MHz

800 and 1900 are the "traditional" CDMA frequencies that Verizon and Sprint also use. But in some markets there are apparently regulatory limits how much those frequencies can be used, so in some markets Metro pushes CDMA signal over AWS frequencies (1700/2100). That's also the frequencies Metro pushes their LTE signal. Thus, in some markets the LTE shares the same frequency as the CDMA signal.

These AWS markets (like NY and Phillie) are the reason it's problematic to "flash" a CDMA phone to Metro. (Forget flashing LTE phones entirely, if you want to use the LTE capability.) MetroPCS's phones are manufactured for them and have extra chipsets to handle all these different frequencies automatically. If you live in Florida (a "regular" CDMA frequency state - 800 & 1900 MHz) and flash a phone there, then travel to New York, your flashed CDMA phone will not work in that market as it does not contain the necessary chipsets to handle the AWS frequencies (1700/2100 MHz). Whereas, with a Metro manufactured phone, your phone will work in ALL Metro markets as well as the nationwide roaming.

Just to compare here's Verizon's LTE LG Revolution vs MetroPCS's LTE LG Esteem (which are otherwise basically the same phone):

http://howardforums.com/XPHr5 (courtesy PhoneArena.com)

Last edited by ChazzMatt; 03-21-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Feedback Score
    chazzmatt u are very helpful that exactly what i need to no tks alot ,,it almost sounds like u work for metropcs ,,anyway tks all that info is really good to know cause i live in florida metropcs area an now they have the LTE running here

Phone
    Moto DROID X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post

Next question?

The "Extended Home Area" and "Travel Talk" are the "roaming" areas (like on vacation or business) -- but Metro does NOT NOT sell service to people who live in those roaming areas. You can only buy service if you have an address in the dark purple areas. If you stay a long time in the roaming areas (a few weeks), Metro will actually cancel your account. So, Metro does NOT really want to to use another carrier's service (for an extended period of time). Because Metro has their own service. The roaming agreements are for costumer's convenience, not for abuse.
    Hello,
    This is really good information! Do you know if in Southern California Metro use the 1900 MHz as well?

By the way the first LTE phone MetroPCS released in the U.S was the Samsung Craft...

Phone
    LG Connect 4G
    Carrier
    Ghetto PCS
    Feedback Score
    chazzmatt u are very helpful that exactly what i need to no tks alot ,,it almost sounds like u work for metropcs ,,anyway tks all that info is really good to know cause i live in florida metropcs area an now they have the LTE running here
    He probably does or just spends an extensive, awkward amount of time on every post...

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by D3ja-Vu View Post
    This is really good information! Do you know if in Southern California Metro use the 1900 MHz as well?

By the way the first LTE phone MetroPCS released in the U.S was the Samsung Craft
    No, I don't know what Southern Cal uses. But I do know the shared frequencies are why Metro eventually wants to turn off CDMA and go LTE only in their home markets. After VoLTE is perfected and rolled out, of course. Turning off the CDMA transmitters will free up more bandwidth for LTE in many of their markets.

The phones they sell will still have CDMA capability, because Metro will still need roaming agreements with other carriers to have "nationwide" coverage for customers.

Last year the CEO and other top management talked to press and investors about turning off the CDMA transmitters in quite a great amount -- leading us to believe it would be within a year or two (2012 - 2013)? But then they kept selling CDMA-only phones! Why would thy do that, if they were soon going to turn off the CDMA transmitters? Basically it was communication incompetence on management's part, mixing short-term and long-term goals into their message without clarifying. Turning off the CDMA transmitters in market is Metro's EVENTUAL goal, but that will probably be 5 years or more down the road. Still, every new CDMA-only Android (like the upcoming LG Optimus M+) they releasel means that goal is nowhere being a reality. When they STOP introducing new CDMA-only phones, then they are a (maybe) a year or two away from going LTE all the way in their home markets.

Yeah, the Samsung Craft (a.k.a the Samsung Crap) for MetroPCS was the first LTE phone in the U.S. The Craft was a regrettably inferior feature phone -- especially to be made by a respected cell phone manufacturer like Samsung -- but it did have LTE chipset so it was the pioneer that gave Metro bragging rights.

The 2nd LTE phone for Metro, the LTE Samsung Galaxy Indulge was the first LTE Android in the entire world.

Can't take that away from Metro -- they beat Verizon (and every other U.S. carrier) hands down on both counts: first LTE phone and first LTE Android phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny24 View Post
    He probably does (work for MetroPCS) or just spends an extensive, awkward amount of time on every post...

Actually, no I don't work for MetroPCS. Thus I am able to criticize them mercilessly when they lie or break promises -- as they have often done with the LTE phone release dates and even the number of LTE phones they planned to release last year.

But as an outside observer, I am also able to praise MetroPCS when they do good things, and not come off sounding like a corporate PR shill. I do admire their business strategy which involves focusing on low-cost LTE plans. They took a gamble on pushing to LTE so soon but they are now ahead of many other pre-paid (Cricket, U.S. Cellular) and post-paid carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, even Sprint which is switching from wi-max to LTE) who waited. It's just I wish they would execute a little better and not over-promise ("Half a dozen LTE Androids in 2011!" promised repeatedly -- which means SIX. Yet only delivered 2. However, one of those was the LG Esteem, which I love.)

I am merely a long-time customer of MetroPCS (about a dozen years now) and appreciate their low-cost approach, having been financially abused by Verizon before I changed over -- even Verizon's pre-paid plans were a rip off. At that time in my life, MetroPCS was a godsend for my limited financial resources. Now in 2012, I could afford something like Verizon, but after having MetroPCS all those various Verizon/AT&T "post paid" plans with "gotcha" charges seem like such a waste of money. So, I stick with MetroPCS.

My posts are often long and detailed because I work in an industry that puts a premium on current, accurate information, a.k.a. "facts". I DO have opinions, and while they are often based on facts or real life experience, if I state those opinions I do not present them as "facts". I try to present accurate information and I give links as to where I got that information, so people can go check it out themselves.

Real employees of MetroPCS -- who do exist and participate on this forum, and whom I occasionally talk to in private messages -- have to be very careful when posting. They can give some "inside" information, but feel compelled to hide their tracks. They also cannot criticize their employer for fear that some day their identities will become known and past comments will be cause for termination. I don't have to worry about that.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 03-24-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Feedback Score
    Chazz:
    The iPhone 5 has so many different bands it can operate under, from what I understand. NOW is it ready to work on Metro PCS? In New York, to be specific. Your thoughts...

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RBNYC View Post
    Chazz:
    The iPhone 5 has so many different bands it can operate under, from what I understand. NOW is it ready to work on Metro PCS? In New York, to be specific. Your thoughts...
    I actually left Metro a couple of months ago. I check in every now and then, and I still know a lot about them. Last week I sold off the last of my Metro phones -- the two LG Optimus Ms, plus accessories (cases, chargers) for $100. Month before that I sold my LG Esteem for $250. Both times I met the buyers at MetroPCS store to ensure they had no problems activating the phones.

I've heard the iPhone 5 could work on Metro's LTE band, since AT&T is also using AWS for LTE in some markets. But at this point I'm not the guy to answer your question. I try to ignore the iPhone as much as possible.

I bought the pentaband Samsung Galaxy Nexus for me and my wife, and we're happy with that. 4.65", HD resolution (the new iPhone 5 is not HD display, only has 640p; 720p is minimum for HD). In many ways Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S3 are much better than the iPhone 5.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=ChazzMatt;14926235]I actually left Metro a couple of months ago. I check in every now and then, and I still know a lot about them. Last week I sold off the last of my Metro phones -- the two LG Optimus Ms, plus accessories (cases, chargers) for $100. Month before that I sold my LG Esteem for $250. Both times I met the buyers at MetroPCS store to ensure they had no problems activating the phones.

I've heard the iPhone 5 could work on Metro's LTE band, since AT&T is also using AWS for LTE in some markets. But at this point I'm not the guy to answer your question. I try to ignore the iPhone as much as possible.

I bought the pentaband Samsung Galaxy Nexus for me and my wife, and we're happy with that. 4.65", HD resolution (the new iPhone 5 is not HD display, only has 640p; 720p is minimum for HD). In many ways Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S3 are much better than the iPhone 5.

Ahhhh okay. No I know the Androids are better performers. I'm after the iPhone because it drives a nice car! Purely aesthetic. I've since read up a little online and it would appear that only the AT&T GSM Model (A1428) has access to Band 4 (AWS). That's the band MetroPCS gets LTE. Except they're CDMA. The CDMA Model (A1429) of the iPhone gets every band EXCEPT 4 (AWS), Specifically bands 1,3,5,13, and 21! Unless I'm missing some universal tech truth about access to bands, it would appear from this that I'm screwed via a technicality.

Feedback Score

Does MetroPCS use 1900/2100 MHz for its 3G/LTE service?

Hello Chazz,

Was wondering if MetroPCS uses 1900/2100 MHz for 3G/LTE service? I'm looking into buying a Chinese made phone and it runs 3G on these frequencies. Do you know what US carriers run 3G on these frequencies? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMusic718 View Post
    Hello Chazz,

Was wondering if MetroPCS uses 1900/2100 MHz for 3G/LTE service? I'm looking into buying a Chinese made phone and it runs 3G on these frequencies. Do you know what US carriers run 3G on these frequencies? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    For frequency bands:

CDMA:
    800, 1700/2100, 1900 MHz

Is this Chinese phone CDMA? You would have to know how to flash the phone to Metro service or pay someone to do it. I'm not sure it's worth it...

That's one reason I left Metro after 10 years and went to unlocked GSM HSPA+ phone on Straight Talk (Net10 is similar) -- Metro's phone selection was limited and it was iffy to import other CDMA phones.

Sure, AFTER I left, Metro got the excellent Galaxy SIII, but before that we had to be happy with what the Metro overlords wanted to give us. Many times it was last year's phones but still at premium prices, and many times with memory stripped out.

The LG Esteem was watered down version of Verizon's LG Revolution. (but I bought it).

Remember the Galaxy S Lightray fiasco? Nobody wanted that dog. Came out August 2012 with 2.3 GINGERBREAD, single core CPU and Metro charged $460 for it. This was a month after I left and had bought $350 Galaxy Nexus, with 4.1 Jelly Bean, 4.65" 720p screen, dual core 1.2 GHz CPU.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast