iPhone
    iPhone 3Gs
    HTC Dream
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score

Tethered Jailbreak and Straight Talk

Hi,

First off I apologize for not knowing what I'm talking about. I got an iPhone 3Gs on Sunday, and thought I'd be able to use my simple mobile sim card (which I guess I could...) but anyway, my friend "Helped" by updating the phone to 5.1 so basically now I'm screwed unless I want to go to AT&T, which I don't.

So, yesterday after a lot of help here, I jailbroke my phone using redsn0w, but I know I can't unlock it because of the baseband being 05.16.05. That's all fine. I did the tethered JB, because I'm rarely that far away from a computer, so it's not a big deal for me.

I have two questions:

1) If I need to restart my phone, and have to have it tethered to a computer, does it have to be the computer that I used to JB my phone? I did the JB at work, but would probably use my home machine for reboots, and would want to make sure it would work with my netbook as well in case I'm traveling.

2) I don't know how the cycle of updates usually works. How long might it be until there's an untethered JB for 5.1, or until the 05.16.05 baseband is unlockable? I know devs aren't paid to do this so I'm not being impatient, I'm really just curious.

In the meantime I'm going to use straighttalk and hope for the best.

Thanks in advance for any answers you might have. Sorry again for being such a n00b, but I'm learning!

Phone
    6 in Space
    Feedback Score
    1) No, you don't need the original computer however you do need a copy of redsn0w. Tethered means you'll have to launch that program on what ever device (laptop, desktop, etc.) you're using to boot your phone.

2) There is no cycle per say. It could take the devs a week, a month, a year to have a breakthrough.

Phones
    iPhone 4 (iOS 6.1.2)
    Motorola V400 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Check the dev team's site for updates. Sometimes they post more timely info on their respective twitters.
    "I wish for a world of peace, harmony, and naked men."

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Feedback Score
    JB is fine but it's the unlock you need to use Tmo or simple. Just get straight talk and no unlock or JB needed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    JB is fine but it's the unlock you need to use Tmo or simple. Just get straight talk and no unlock or JB needed.
    1st, I'm a fng to all this and a buddy of mine told me to go read/ask questions here first. so here goes...

My wife and I have been using iPhone4 on ATT and we still are. Are you saying that I can just switch over to "straight talk" without JB or Unlock?

Phones
    iPhone
    iPhone 3Gs
    HTC Dream
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You can switch to straight talk, but you will need to jailbreak your phone in order to use some features (like MMS) - see this link: http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...ht_Talk_iPhone

but yeah, for $45 a month, you can't really beat it.

also, if i can JB a phone, anyone can. If you haven't updated to 5.1 - DON'T! It will make it so each time you need to reboot, you have to be connected to a computer.

plenty of info here:
    http://aaltonen.us/2012/02/07/howto-...t-talk-iphone/
    and
    http://www.jailbreakqa.com/

good luck!

Phones
    iPhone 4 (iOS 6.1.2)
    Motorola V400 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You can use any at&t mvno in your phone without needing an unlock. If you google, you should be able to find a list of other companies to consider. Obviously, you can't use any t-mobile based companies. Make sure you know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by PVerms View Post
    1st, I'm a fng to all this and a buddy of mine told me to go read/ask questions here first. so here goes...

My wife and I have been using iPhone4 on ATT and we still are. Are you saying that I can just switch over to "straight talk" without JB or Unlock?