Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone with decent or better web browsing

Feedback Score

Question Tracfone with decent or better web browsing

Hello.

I'm looking for a recommended tracfone model for some basic web browser use.

I don't plan to use the browser function for more intensive tasks like watching videos or posting pics to websites.

My main uses will be to check email (yahoo), find phone numbers, and,maybe, pull up map directions if the phone is capable.

What, if any, model do you recommend?

Also, does Tracfone offer any prepaid Smartphones?

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by testerhf View Post
    Also, does Tracfone offer any prepaid Smartphones? Thank you.
    No smartphones (no Androids and no iPhones). Tracfone only has feature phones and they are not smart. Currently the top of the line are Samsung T404g slider/qwerty, LG500g candy bar qwerty and LG 800g touchscreen. They are all GSM phones so you will be using either ATT or T-mobile.

Tracfone does not currently offer any CDMA feature phones (microSD card, etc) so keep this is mind if you need Verizon or US Cellular.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If T-Mobile or AT&T offers decent service in your area and you don't plan on buying minute packages, just get an Android or iPhone and activate it on the Net10 or Straight Talk BYOD program. They're all the same company anyway. Just different brands.

You may not think you need a smartphone, but once you have one you'll find more things you can do and you'll come to rely on it a lot more. I love fishing, so I downloaded an app that shows underwater depth maps. With the phone's GPS function, it even shows me my location on the map. Stuff like having instant access to weather reports and finding business information is a real time and money saver. If I'm out and about and decide I want to go to a store but I'm not sure if it is open, I can hop online and check their hours without wasting gas.

Feedback Score
    I'm completely new to the smart phone world. If I did what Hesster recommends and get an iPhone and activate it on the Ne 10 or Straight Talk BYOD program (whatever that is ) how low could I get the per minute rate to be?

Thanks.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    BYOD stands for 'bring your own device.' You buy a compatible phone from wherever, purchase a SIM card and a monthly 'unlimited' plan. It's $45 for 'unlimited' minutes, text and data. Net10 is $50 if you buy cards, but $45 if you enroll in autopay.

Like most carriers, the unlimited is not truly unlimited in the sense you can use as much as you want. If you start using massive amounts of data or over 5,000 minutes per month, they'll probably drop you like a hot potato. Data is the one that usually gets people in trouble, but it doesn't sound like that will be much of a problem for you. As long as you keep your usage moderate you will be fine. You can use WiFi as much as you want, and there are even apps that read your location and automatically turn the phone's WiFi antenna on when you are near a hotspot.

There's a lot of discussion about it in the Straight Talk section of the forum.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I'm completely new to the smart phone world. If I did what Hesster recommends and get an iPhone and activate it on the Ne 10 or Straight Talk BYOD program (whatever that is ) how low could I get the per minute rate to be?

Thanks.
    BYOD = bring your own device (you have to set up the phone`s APN for Trac AT&T or T-Mobile service)
    Both Net10 and ST require use of the Unlimited 30 day plans for all Smartphones. $45 -$50/30 days.
    It would be too expensive to operate them on standard airtimes cost per minute. It is believed you could talk for 5000 minutes without Trac thinking it excessive and saying anything, so $45/5000 = .009, less than a penny per minute . This only accounts for talk, you will also be texting and using the internet, bringing the actual cost per minute way lower.

Feedback Score
    I'm completely new to the smart phone world. If I did what Hesster recommends and get an iPhone and activate it on the Ne 10 or Straight Talk BYOD program (whatever that is ) how low could I get the per minute rate to be? Thanks.
    Straight Talk and Net10 Androids and iPhones both cost about $50 per month. Unless you were planning to spend that much, Hesster had no business mentioning them. At the very least, he should have made clear that he was talking in the price range of $50 per month whether you mentioned it or not.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    We scared off the OP, they are no longer on site.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    BYOD = bring your own device (you have to set up the phone`s APN for Trac AT&T or T-Mobile service) Both Net10 and ST require use of the Unlimited 30 day plans for all Smartphones. $45 -$50/30 days. It would be too expensive to operate them on standard airtimes cost per minute. It is believed you could talk for 5000 minutes without Trac thinking it excessive and saying anything, so $45/5000 = .009, less than a penny per minute . This only accounts for talk, you will also be texting and using the internet, bringing the actual cost per minute way lower.
    Again, this response is off the mark.

For Androids and iPhones and other smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S2 for example, don't think in terms of cost per minute. Think in terms of $50 per month, month in and month out. That is the amount you will be paying whether you talk for the whole 5000 minutes or never turn the phone on.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    Straight Talk and Net10 Androids and iPhones both cost about $50 per month. Unless you were planning to spend that much, Hesster had no business mentioning them. At the very least, he should have made clear that he was talking in the price range of $50 per month whether you mentioned it or not.
    Uh, the OP specifically ASKED about smartphones, and all the smartphones offered by AM are $45-$50 per month.

The poster also expressed a wish to use GPS navigation, a feature most dumbphones do not have. Granted, I have not looked closely at the various phones AM offers, but I'd be surprised if they offered it.

Furthermore, the title indicates the OP is looking for a 'decent or better' browsing experience. Maybe I'm spoiled by Dolphin HD, but I've worked with quite a few dumbphones when I was working for VZW and T-Mo before I got a smartphone and was not impressed with the mobile web browser on any of them. If you want anything beyond a basic browsing experience, there is no reason not to get a smartphone.

So saying I had no business mentioning the BYOD program is totally uncalled for.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
    Uh, the OP specifically ASKED about smartphones, and all the smartphones offered by AM are $45-$50 per month.
    The OP asked about smartphones on TRACFONE. And the answer is, There are NONE. Tracfone doesn't offer smartphones.

[/QUOTE=Hesster;14763581]If you want anything beyond a basic browsing experience, there is no reason not to get a smartphone.[/QUOTE]

The reason is cost.

If you want a smartphone for about $12 per month, go to PagePlus or some other MVNO.

Feedback Score
    I should have made myself more clear when I said "pull up map directions" in my first post.

I wasn't speaking of using GPS for that. I was just planning to use google or yahoo maps on the phone's browser, if possible. But if I did have GPS I certain would use it.

$50 per month is quite a bit more than I intend to spend. If this helps to put it in perspective, I doubt I will use the phone for more than 10 minutes of talk per month and 15 minutes of web per month (depending on how fast/slow the 'net connection is).

Also, regarding:
    $12 per month, go to PagePlus or some other MVNO
    I took a look at the PagePlus website and they listed 3 phones but it wasn't apparent to me that they were smart phones. Are the 3 phones the only ones that will work with their service?

Feedback Score
    $50 per month is quite a bit more than I intend to spend. If this helps to put it in perspective, I doubt I will use the phone for more than 10 minutes of talk per month and 15 minutes of web per month (depending on how fast/slow the 'net connection is).

Also, regarding:

I took a look at the PagePlus website and they listed 3 phones but it wasn't apparent to me that they were smart phones. Are the 3 phones the only ones that will work with their service?
    PagePlus works on the Verizon network and almost any Verizon postpaid phone can be used. As a general rule of thumb, you cannot use Verizon prepaid phones. People generally get used Verizon phones from ebay, Amazon, craigslist, etc.

There is a PagePlus forum right here on HoFo. Check in with them to see what they suggest.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    You should look into T-Mobile prepaid. They offer 100 minutes, unlimited texting and data for $30 a month. You can choose any T-Mobile smart or dumb phone to use with this plan. The Motorola Defy is a good option, but there are a few lower cost smartphones available.
    HP Envy 14
    iPhone 5 16GB

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The OP asked about smartphones on TRACFONE. And the answer is, There are NONE. Tracfone doesn't offer smartphones.
    Tracfone, Net10, Straight Talk... They're all the same company. Kinda like Lexus and Toyota are the same company. If someone asked about a Lexus truck, would it be bad to point out that Lexus doesn't sell trucks but Toyota does? Plus I mentioned the cost in the very next post, before you jumped on me for trying to be helpful.

The reason is cost.

If you want a smartphone for about $12 per month, go to PagePlus or some other MVNO.
    The $12 PagePlus plan has 10MB of data transfer per month. Keep in mind that data usage limit is not limited to web browsing and email. It also counts data used by sending and receiving MMS messages and downloading apps from their own store. Once you go over, they start charging you $0.10 per MB. Users can count on spending extra if they plan on using it for anything other than talking, sending SMS and low res MMS pictures.

Testerhf, if you want a smartphone, most of the MVNOs have plans that are fairly expensive at the door compared to just buying minute packages, but they are usually less than the native carrier's prepaid smartphone plans. It's like going to a buffet. You pay more to get in than you would to go to McDonald's, but you can try more stuff. You can go with a dumbphone that has Internet features like web and email, but you must be very careful because the data limits on lower priced plans are usually very low and the costs for overage add up quickly. If you go over it your data allowance, it will eat into the money you saved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast