Thread: Help Me Understand The Limitations with Straight Talk

Feedback Score

Help Me Understand The Limitations with Straight Talk

I am planning to switch 2 out of contract lines from ATT to Straight Talk. One line is an iPhone 3GS (locked) and the other is a HTC Android phone for ATT (forgot the model, but also locked to ATT). From the various threads I understand the process is to order the SIM pack for ATT from the new SIM order website, activate and then port the number over. MMS will not work, but I'm using Whatsapp for messaging anyway, so I don't care that much (but it would be nice if I could get it to work without jailbreak/unlock).

Here is a summary of what I understand are the limitations of Straight Talk - please correct, or add anything I've forgotten:

1) I will have access (voice) to a blended ATT and TMO network, so my nationwide coverage is as good if not better than native ATT postpaid
    2) I cannot make any international calls and will need to use Google Voice for these
    3) I cannot make conference calls, even on the iPhone that has this function native to the software
    4) I cannot roam internationally, even in Canada - meaning, when I take my iPhone to Canada, it will basically be a wifi only device - no voice calls, period
    5) No visual voicemail - all voicemail requires manually dialing an access number and listening to the messages
    6) normal 3G data should work automatically without any tweaks using the ATT data settings already on both my phones and my data speed should be the same as it was with ATT
    Question: shouldn't the MMS data settings already on my phones also work as well? Just curious why they would not....

My data usage rarely goes above 500MB per month, and I'm using Whatsapp for texting 99% of the time, so for me this switch is basically to take my $75 a month ATT bill for 650 minutes (which I'm now habitually exceeding) and dropping it down to $45 a month and I will never need to worry about voice overages again. I just want to make sure I fully understand all the limitations...please let me know if I'm missing anything.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
    I am planning to switch 2 out of contract lines from ATT to Straight Talk. One line is an iPhone 3GS (locked) and the other is a HTC Android phone for ATT (forgot the model, but also locked to ATT). From the various threads I understand the process is to order the SIM pack for ATT from the new SIM order website, activate and then port the number over. MMS will not work, but I'm using Whatsapp for messaging anyway, so I don't care that much (but it would be nice if I could get it to work without jailbreak/unlock).

Here is a summary of what I understand are the limitations of Straight Talk - please correct, or add anything I've forgotten:

1) I will have access (voice) to a blended ATT and TMO network, so my nationwide coverage is as good if not better than native ATT postpaid
    2) I cannot make any international calls and will need to use Google Voice for these
    3) I cannot make conference calls, even on the iPhone that has this function native to the software
    4) I cannot roam internationally, even in Canada - meaning, when I take my iPhone to Canada, it will basically be a wifi only device - no voice calls, period
    5) No visual voicemail - all voicemail requires manually dialing an access number and listening to the messages
    6) normal 3G data should work automatically without any tweaks using the ATT data settings already on both my phones and my data speed should be the same as it was with ATT
    Question: shouldn't the MMS data settings already on my phones also work as well? Just curious why they would not....

My data usage rarely goes above 500MB per month, and I'm using Whatsapp for texting 99% of the time, so for me this switch is basically to take my $75 a month ATT bill for 650 minutes (which I'm now habitually exceeding) and dropping it down to $45 a month and I will never need to worry about voice overages again. I just want to make sure I fully understand all the limitations...please let me know if I'm missing anything.
    Correction on #1: Your coverage will be better than AT&T prepaid but the same as AT&T postpaid, it won't be better than AT&T postpaid. Straight Talk is giving you the native and roaming coverage that AT&T postpaid has access to.
    Google Voice, Skype and anything else is better than paying the postpaid wireless rates for international, so that isn't a downfall.
    Yes, you cannot take the phone outside of the USA and expect it to work, Straight Talk doesn't provide roaming outside of USA on these plans. Once again, postpaid wireless rates inside Canada can be expensive, just get a local sim in Canada and use that. I'm sure there are cheap options.

MMS takes few seconds to setup. The only time it's a problem is with iPhone 4GS where changing the MMS settings is blocked and in that case the phone must be jailbroken.
    You will be getting MMS without a problem on your iPhone 3GS.

Straight Talk will be a great move for you and you will save up tons.
    Be sure to look up on how to get Straight Talk for a flat $45 fee (no taxes) - it's discussed on a different thread.

Phone
    Note II Repaired after SDS
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Hmm? MMS without a problem on the iPhone 3GS? Please explain how. The fixes I've seen involve jailbreaking or using a TMobile SIM -- but the latter only works on an iPhone 4/4S. So I don't have MMS working on my iPhone 3GS because don't want to jailbreak and can't do the TMo SIM swap (per the wiki)
    Go GSM! Switch phones on demand.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Couple of corrections:
    The sim swap method of changing mms settings only works on the 4S, not on the 4. On the 3GS, there has been one poster who claims to have gotten that set up for mms without jail breaking -- he refers to someone setting it up for him cheaply and quickly, and willing to share this person's contact info. Most have referred to jail breaking, which on a 3GS is a fairly painless and easy process. I wouldn't hesitate to jailbreak and purchase tetherme for $5 as an easy solution to getting everything set up.

Visual voicemail - I don't use this, but from what I have read on this site, there are a number of 3rd party visual voicemail services such as google talk and youmail that will work with the AT&T sim. No visual voicemail will work with the tmobile sim, which isn't a problem for you since you will be using AT&T devices on AT&T sim.

Finally, conference calling. I think I have read that this is also possible on att sim, but not tmobile. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. It may be one of those features you could use occasially but wouldn't want to do often so as to not raise red flags. I do know that the group text iPhone feature works, but just haven't tried conference call yet.

Good luck to you. Trying to convince my brother to do the same thing. His monthly bill for AT&T is $120. He could save $75 a month by switching.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    One more thing. You said everything should work without changing the settings because you re already on AT&T. I don't think this is correct. Yu'll still have to change the APN settings, because you'll be using an AT&T mvno rather than native AT&T. If you jailbreak and get tetherme, it's very easy to change this information. If you don't care about mms and don't want to jailbreak, then the unlocket app everyone has discussed seems to be easy as well, just can't speak to it personally I as I went the jailbreak route with my 4S.

Phone
    Note II Repaired after SDS
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I have an iPhone 3GS, did not jailbreak but used www.unlockit.co.nz and that setup the APN in a few seconds and data services worked.

So I dispute MMS is 'easy' if it requires jailbreaking or a magical dealer to help, but data definitely is and can be done by anyone.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    Hmm? MMS without a problem on the iPhone 3GS? Please explain how. The fixes I've seen involve jailbreaking or using a TMobile SIM -- but the latter only works on an iPhone 4/4S. So I don't have MMS working on my iPhone 3GS because don't want to jailbreak and can't do the TMo SIM swap (per the wiki)
    I got MMS working on my 3GS without jailbreaking. I learned of this method from a poster on this board, though I don't remember who that poster was.

Insert a Gevey SIM with the ST SIM with your phone turned off. Turn on your phone then go to to Settings, then General, then Network, then Cellular Data Network. While still in the Cellular Data tab, remove the Gevey and reinsert only the ST SIM.

Type in the following settings then back out of Data tab.

APN: att.mvno
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com/
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80
    MMS Max Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL:

Feedback Score
    I'm still a little confused about a couple items (maybe because there is a lot of information floating around that isn't clear):

1) assuming no Youmail or Google Voicemail, what is my user experience going to be on the iPhone with voicemail? Just a red dot indicating a message? Or nothing at all?

2) I searched but couldn't find an unlocket app - where do I locate this?

3) I'm still confused about sending international text and making calls - from the ST website, it looks like we can use an access number to make int'l calls (but GV is probably easier anyway)...will int'l SMS work too?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
    I'm still a little confused about a couple items (maybe because there is a lot of information floating around that isn't clear):

1) assuming no Youmail or Google Voicemail, what is my user experience going to be on the iPhone with voicemail? Just a red dot indicating a message? Or nothing at all?

2) I searched but couldn't find an unlocket app - where do I locate this?

3) I'm still confused about sending international text and making calls - from the ST website, it looks like we can use an access number to make int'l calls (but GV is probably easier anyway)...will int'l SMS work too?
    Answer to #1 With no access to a third-party voicemail, you'll just have the old-fashioned carrier voicemail. You'll have to call their retrieval
    number to hear messages.

Answer to #3 No international texting. It is only offered with the Straight Talk phones that run on the Sprint network: Samsung Galaxy Precedent and LG Optimus Q.

Feedback Score
    One last question - can I still set my phone for call-forwarding using the iPhone software or use the *61 code routine to conditionally call forward my inbound calls to Google Voice (for visual voicemail alternative)?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Yes. In fact, that's the only way you can use YouMail or GV voicemail on an iPhone. Just make sure you get an AT&T-compatible SIM, because T-Mobile's SIM does not support conditional call forwarding.

Feedback Score
    I use my ST sim card in my phone and call my mother onces a week in Portugal with no problem. Runs .08 cents a min. I have 10 numbers asigned to international calls.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CeluGeek View Post
    Answer to #1 With no access to a third-party voicemail, you'll just have the old-fashioned carrier voicemail. You'll have to call their retrieval
    number to hear messages.

Answer to #3 No international texting. It is only offered with the Straight Talk phones that run on the Sprint network: Samsung Galaxy Precedent and LG Optimus Q.
    For some reason, the badge that alerts me that I have received a voicemail no longer works--the only way I know that I have a voicemail is if I call my voicemail. Have you guys heard of this? How do I fix it? I have a jailbroken iphone 4s using straight talk.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GodessDivaQuee View Post
    For some reason, the badge that alerts me that I have received a voicemail no longer works--the only way I know that I have a voicemail is if I call my voicemail. Have you guys heard of this? How do I fix it? I have a jailbroken iphone 4s using straight talk.
    Download the app YouMail it will bring back visual voicemail you won't have to call in and it's free in the AppStore.

Feedback Score
    With respect to international calling, localphone.com is bar none the best solution because besides the fact they are usually one of the cheapest LD providers, they give you a free local phone number in whatever country you want for each one of your contacts so you can store them in your regular phone's phonebook as a local number and not have to deal with trying to program pauses and other weird things into your phonebook. In some local areas in the US they also accept SMSs to the local number they give you and will forward it to the associated contact for much less than what it would cost you were you to use your regular carrier to SMS your contact internationally through them. Once you get used to the convenience of having a local/domestic phone number for each one of your contacts, you'll never want to go back to using other services for calling internationally, though localphone also provides the standard pinless dialing calling card type in addition too for those who need it.