Thread: What is the best Android phone under $200 I could use on Straight Talk?

Feedback Score

What is the best Android phone under $200 I could use on Straight Talk?

I am trying to figure out what the best Android phone under $200 is that I could buy and use on Straight Talk. If there is one that is pretty good, but not the absolute best, considerably under $200, I would be interested in that as well. I like physical QWERTY keyboards but if the touch screen is good, it is not absolutely necessary. How is the LG Optimus Q? Or would it be worth it to buy another phone and order the SIM card from Straight Talk? I am clueless about this but want to transition from a crappy little Tracfone! Thanks for any help!! (:

Edit: I am willing to go up to $350 if the phone is great. Thanks again!
    Last edited by deetlebug; 03-24-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: changing price

Carrier
    ST - Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much!! I appreciate it! Does anyone know if it is worth it to get the LG Optimus Black from the Straight Talk website? I will mostly be using the phone on WiFi but may sometimes use it when I'm out and about. I have heard people say I should order it unlocked from somewhere else and then order a SIM card from Straight Talk for AT&T, but I am wondering if the speeds will be unbearably slow if I choose to not do that option.

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    The LG optimus Black is on the nativer sprint network, with NO roaming. ST BYOD sim plans have the options of using either ATT or TMo, they both have roaming, but primarily use their own networks. I you plan to use an unlocked phone, your only options are either ATT or TMo. Your data speeds depend on the network and signal strength and also the congestion in your own local area. Speeds vary on the ATT 3G from 1-6mbps, and TMo from 1-7mbps based on speedtests posted (mean 3mbps). As, you can see wide variation based on your location. Your speeds are basically unthrottled from what we see, so they are completely dependent on the network you choose. Unless you are in an area with 4G Wimax on sprint and your phone supports that, as a rule of thumb ATT and TMo usually are faster, particularly if you have HSPA+ speeds. So, unless you are in a strong sprint area you will typically have better luck on BYOD sims, ymmv.

For then next Q's that you might have regarding coverage:

Where do I find Coverage maps.
    - For AT&T, click on the link below, this the native coverage map, which means that the phone will have more coverage than this on ST, enter your actual address to see how the voice signal is, then see what data coverage(click on data above map) you have in your area. The last link is for the actual ST maps.
    http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage...phone&opt=payg
    - For TMobile, click on the link below, this the native coverage map, which means that the phone will have more coverage than this on ST, enter your actual address to see how the voice signal is, then see what data coverage(click on data coverage above map) you have in your area.
    http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-coverage
    - Verizon uses only the Straight talk branded phones, no BYOD allowed, no smartphones sold or allowed. This is native coverage which means NO roaming allowed for these phones.
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...datacoverage4g
    - Sprint is only for the 2 branded Android phones(samsung galaxy precedent and LG optimus Q) sold by Straight Talks and uses native sprint network only, ie NO roaming outside the network.
    http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check...phone-coverage
    - The below is the ST map for all its networks, as you can see the maps are broader than ATT and TMo bcoz of roaming.

Is there Roaming?
    - Straight Talk/Tracfone has individual roaming agreement with independent GSM networks both regional and national, so yes there will be more roaming outside of AT&T and Tmobile native networks, but think of these as the primary networks, coverage viewer maps are below in Q4.
    - When you buy a phone, your phone is on one of the primary networks, for GSM phones it is either AT&T or T Mobile, that means this will be the primary network on which the phone will work, and will roam in other areas, refer to ST maps for more info in Q4.
    - The only problem is that your phone will not pickup a different cell tower just because it has low signal, ex- if have a Tmo sim/phone, it will not transfer to ATT because of low T Mo signal in the guest bedroom, you need to be in an area designated by Tracfone/ST as roaming to be able to roam.
    - Voice and texting seems to work across all the roaming networks, but data works in some roaming areas and not in others, you will know about your area by only trying for yourself.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    LG Optimus Q Straight Talk
    iPhone 3gs Straight Talk
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    The LG Optimus Q is a great phone for the <$200 benchmark. I've been using it now for 2+ months and it gives me all I need in a smartphone. Both is functionality and plan. You can't beat the $45 unlimited plan. I live in the Metro Chicago area and the data speed and call quality is great there and I get the same while visiting the Orlando area...

Feedback Score
    Since you mention the favor of a qwerty keyboard, if i were you then i'd get ST's SIM card for AT&T and then put it in a Samsung Captivate Glide smartphone :-)