Thread: Do I have activate a smartphone on my Verizon account before selling it?

Feedback Score

Do I have activate a smartphone on my Verizon account before selling it?

Do I have to activate a smartphone on my Verizon account before selling it?

I thought it was an old rule, but I was told by a Verizon agent tonight, that I first have to activate the phone and then I can do what I want with it.

I had Verizon for about 10 years. Last month I left them because I wanted to buy smartphones but without the $190ish price tag for two phones. Unfortunately Virgin Mobile and T-Mobile both drop calls like crazy in my house... and Verizon would rarely do it. Because I have a business and rely on the phone calls going through, I decided to go back to Verizon.

I decided to go with their "special offer"... buy one LG Spectrum for $199 and get the 2nd one free. Both come with a 16GB card.

The problem is my wife doesn't want a huge smartphone... so I'm planning on selling her phone and then buying either a Samsung Stratosphere or an HTC Rhyme... whichever she decides on.

So... the big question is... should I open the brand new phone and activate it before I send it out? Secondly, if I'm buying from someone else on eBay... by brand new... do I try and get them to activate their phone if they haven't, just so I don't run into the same problem?

Anyone with any info... please help.

Thanks...

Eric
    Last edited by Doc123; 03-24-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Error

Phones
    HTC Incredible, HTC Rezound
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well I can say that I purchased a rezound as an upgrade last December and gave it to my wife who was on a different plan and they activated it without issue. Since it is a 4g phone you don't want to activate it or else the sim card will be useless.

I've had CSRs tell me that if a sim card is shipped with a phone it has to be used on that specific number, but I can say I did not have that issue.

So long story short, I dont think you would need to activate the phone and if buying off eBay I would just ensure the phone is not black listed.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your response daake.

Yeah... that's kinda what I thought. I don't think I have to activate the phone on my account. I think they use to require that... but not now. And I'm going to be getting a replacement smartphone... so it's not like I'm just buying this smartphone to sell for money... I'll be buying one she wants.

But just to clarify... you're saying that IF I do activate the phone on our line, that the SIM card will not be able to be transferred to the next owner? I have no idea about SIM cards... except that this phone comes with one. If that's the case, then I definitely won't activate the phone.

Phones
    iPhone 5S
    Galaxy Nexus
    BlackBerry Curve, 8830
    Carriers
    at&t, Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc123 View Post
    Thanks for your response daake.

Yeah... that's kinda what I thought. I don't think I have to activate the phone on my account. I think they use to require that... but not now. And I'm going to be getting a replacement smartphone... so it's not like I'm just buying this smartphone to sell for money... I'll be buying one she wants.

But just to clarify... you're saying that IF I do activate the phone on our line, that the SIM card will not be able to be transferred to the next owner? I have no idea about SIM cards... except that this phone comes with one. If that's the case, then I definitely won't activate the phone.
    I ran into this problem 2 months ago--I definitely had to activate. It was for a 3G phone, however.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your response newyork4me...

So you ran into the same problem where you had to activate your 3G phone.

Does anyone here know if I have to activate the 4G phone... or will that ruin the SIM card (I don't that it will ruin it... but maybe you can only activate a SIM card once?)?

Anyone with any knowledge on the issue.. please help.

Thanks so much...

Feedback Score

I was just reading about the SIM Card...

I was just reading about the SIM card... apparently they have loaded in the card someone's personal information so they can take the card and use it in other like-devices. If that's correct, do I open up the box to the phone I'm selling and take the SIM card out to protect my information? And if so, can the person that buys the phone simply go to a Verizon store and get a new SIM card for free and without much trouble?

Thanks in advance...

Phones
    LG G2
    HTC One Max
    Iphone 5s
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

SIM Card

Any Verizon Corporate store will give them a new SIM card free of charge. Here in my town we have an indirect store that charges $3 for a new SIM. The can also call Verizon's 1-800 number to get one free, or reuse a SIM from another 4G device.

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You can call and agree to the contract without taking the new phone out of the box. Then you can sell it "new in the box" and the buyer will be able to activate it. The SIM card is blank now, it gets loaded with the line's information over the air during activation.

Feedback Score

Just "chatted" with a Verizon agent...

Thanks for all the help guys.

I just did an online chat with someone from Verizon Wireless.

She told me I didn't have to activate the phone. I could leave everything in there. The only thing I need to watch is that the phone needs to be activated within 30 days. I had explained that my wife didn't like the phone and that we are going to get her one she likes. I can't simply return it to Verizon because it's part of the buy one get one free special... so it wouldn't make sense to return it.

I should be able to sell this phone for close to $400 on eBay.

I should be able to buy the LG Rhyme for about $260ish on eBay... so everything works out fine.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daake_07 View Post
    I've had CSRs tell me that if a sim card is shipped with a phone it has to be used on that specific number, but I can say I did not have that issue.
    That is incorrect. When I ordered my wife the Rezound, it came a new sim card. I never used it. Instead I simply took the sim card out of her Thunderbolt and popped it into the Rezound.

I then took the new sim card, put it onto my son's line using the Verizon website and then popped that sim into the Thunderbolt.

Sent from my ADR6400L using HowardForums

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc123 View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys.

I just did an online chat with someone from Verizon Wireless.

She told me I didn't have to activate the phone. I could leave everything in there. The only thing I need to watch is that the phone needs to be activated within 30 days. I had explained that my wife didn't like the phone and that we are going to get her one she likes. I can't simply return it to Verizon because it's part of the buy one get one free special... so it wouldn't make sense to return it.

I should be able to sell this phone for close to $400 on eBay.

I should be able to buy the LG Rhyme for about $260ish on eBay... so everything works out fine.
    I would go with the Rezound over the Rhyme. You will also get to keep your double data. If you go with the Rhyme, you will have to get the 2GB plan vs the 4GB plan at the same price.
    v Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).

Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in Birmingham, AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).^

Speed Test with DSL internet with AT&T(Bellsouth). Horrible.

Feedback Score

Didn't even think about that...

Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude View Post
    I would go with the Rezound over the Rhyme. You will also get to keep your double data. If you go with the Rhyme, you will have to get the 2GB plan vs the 4GB plan at the same price.
    I didn't even think about the data going from 4GB back to 2GB. Thankfully that doesn't matter with my wife as she doesn't care about using the phone that much and I don't think she'll use 2GB in about a four months total.

I did a lot of calling around to Verizon Wireless the last two days... and found that a lot of them tell you conflicting stories (Breaking News... right?).

The eventual story I was told is that I could "agree to the terms" of the LG Spectrum and then just ship it out that way. That will make the SIM card in the box null and void when the new owner gets it and they will have to get a new one at a Verizon store (for free of course). That way my wife's phone number won't still be attached to the phone... along with her account information.

Verizon customer service reps didn't ask me for the pin number I had with Virgin Mobile... so after about a week of waiting for the number to come over (the number was to be "ported" I guess you call it) I finally figured out that they need that pin number. One of the agents asked me a week ago if I knew the account number through VM and I didn't... so they said no problem. I did know the pin but they didn't ask that. Well I was told yesterday that VM doesn't use account numbers... they just use your phone number instead... but they need the pin number to port the number. One has finally made it last night.. but we still can't receive calls on my wife's phone yet. It's suppose to be within 24 hours though.

Thanks everyone for the help... I feel almost smarter... at least until the next snafu where I'll again be totally lost.